2020 GIANT Explore-E+ Maximum Range Expectations

Auto mode is available on the bike 2020 me I have a Road E 2020 and the wife has a Revolt E both bikes has the the pro motor . From eco mode to auto mode your gonna loose 25% off of mileage . When you put the computer on at 100% charge it give you 100 kilometer on eco mode but when you put it to auto mode the computer give you 75 kilometers of autonomy but I don’t know how accurate is the computer.I never try it wet because here in Canada it is winter. I no the from the range chart that I post earlier in the discussion that the sport motor give you more mileage than the pro motor for the same battery is all about the time of reaction of the motor .

Really appreciate all the great replies to my questions. I have spent much more time trying to figure out what ebike to buy than I have ever spent on buying a car!

Just remember if you buy a giant ebike the 2 motors has a big difference on the mileage. The sport motor has a reaction time of 0.519 seconds whenever you put pressure on the pedals and give you 150 km on a 500watts battery. But the pro motor has a time reaction of 0.119 seconds whenever you put pressure on the pedals that give you 110 km on the 500watt battery . So quicker reaction time takes more juice of the battery that’s why the mileage is less. But for the reste both motors sport or pro are doing the same speed and anything else the same. For these mileage it’s for ECO mode. Look at the chart that I posted earlier.

I think the Giant rep was saying Auto will put the rider in the optimal mode for maximum efficiency .
So , for example , where a rider might select level 5 , Auto might select level 4 .
I'm not so sure how well it works but the Explore seemed to operate smoother riding in Auto .
Ya, that. Better worded. 😁

I read in a eBike article that the Syncdrive Sport and ‘base’ Syncdrive Pro version provides slightly higher levels of torque at lower speeds than the Pro versions that can reach 28mph. The Pro (fast version) provides approx 80% torque up 20mph and 100% of its 80 nm in the range between 20 to 28 mph. Wish I could find that article to re-read because that seems a bit odd. Again that’s just hearsay and not anything official. Considering how long the Giant models have been available there is very little in-depth technical details that I can find.

I’m sure that your right, because I am getting my informations here and there. I no that Giant is not doing there job of getting the informations on the web. Or in there stores about the 2020 ebike models nobody knows about the new extended 250 watts battery pack the price and on which bike that’s compatible with.Giant should at least put the informations on there web site the price of the new extended 250 watts battery pack and on witch bike model it goes.

I agree. I have emailed Giant several times, no replies. The other problem I have had is trying to figure what's available in the States as opposed to what Giant is offering in the other countries. I wonder why they don't offer uniform products in all their markets. I would think the fragmentation is an added expense?

The only way to get the good information for the bikes and products like gear clothing and accessories like battery’s and the good price is to go to a giant dealer and ask for the big catalog and look yourself in to it .Because there is a lot of product available that you are never going to see in a research on the web that is the place that I saw the new 2020 extended 250watts battery the price and on which bike it fits on.You can see the ebike rims and a lot of options in that book.

Giant just doesn’t offer many high end models in the US. The Explore + E 4 is the only model available in the US but Canada gets the 3, 2 and 1 version. Is eBike demand in the US that different than our northern brethren? Neither county gets the Explore +E 0 Pro. What’s up with that? That’s a shame because I would love to have that Pro model. Even add on Gear for eBikes is limited compared to what’s sold overseas.

A picky market in the US. People just really don't know what they want.

I've been to a bunch of the local dealers for all three of the big-3 - Specialize, Trek, and Giant, and none of them are really pushing ebikes. Sure, they have a couple, but they don't know anything about them. And if they're purists, they think they're cheating and dumb. LOL
It's an uphill battle yet.

I'll have to ask about that catalog. 👍
One of the cool things about Giant as a manufacturer, is that they make a LOT of their own parts. Like stems, bars, rims, seats, etc.

Me I ask my local dealer for the 2020 catalog it’s about 2 to 3 inch thick,the catalog belong to the store but,they let me look in it as often as I want .

I’m pretty much committed to buying an ebike and recently learned that my LBS has taken on the complete line of GIANT Bikes. I’ve been doing business with this shop for close to 30 years and would like to continue supporting them. The Explorer E+ 4 GTS has caught me attention but I’m concerned about the 400kwh battery not having enough wattage to meet my needs. Most of my longer rides are 50-60+ miles in length with an occasional 70+ miler. The main reason I’m looking at an ebike is so I can handle these rides with a bit more ease. I’m 70 years old and have been slowed by a 3 level spinal fusion a little over a year ago. My riding these days is pretty much on local rails to trails which are pretty flat with a suface of compacted crushed limestone and gravel. My expected average pace would be roughly 12.5 mph.

So I’m looking for some “real world” feedback on what this bike is capable of achieving in maximum range under these riding conditions...Thanks
Dickie can you tell me what you ended up doing? Did you buy the Explore and if so what battery? If so how do you like it? Thanks

I’m pretty much committed to buying an ebike and recently learned that my LBS has taken on the complete line of GIANT Bikes. I’ve been doing business with this shop for close to 30 years and would like to continue supporting them. The Explorer E+ 4 GTS has caught me attention but I’m concerned about the 400kwh battery not having enough wattage to meet my needs. Most of my longer rides are 50-60+ miles in length with an occasional 70+ miler. The main reason I’m looking at an ebike is so I can handle these rides with a bit more ease. I’m 70 years old and have been slowed by a 3 level spinal fusion a little over a year ago. My riding these days is pretty much on local rails to trails which are pretty flat with a suface of compacted crushed limestone and gravel. My expected average pace would be roughly 12.5 mph.

So I’m looking for some “real world” feedback on what this bike is capable of achieving in maximum range under these riding conditions...Thanks

Frankly, at level 2 I'm pretty sure you could get 60 miles, possibly even more. On flats if you're on level one, pedaling the bike, it's not using any battery power. They can be very efficient at lower speeds. We tend to ride them fast, at level 3, and that uses up the battery. But still easily get 40 miles with the 400w pack.

Giant just doesn’t offer many high end models in the US. The Explore + E 4 is the only model available in the US but Canada gets the 3, 2 and 1 version. Is eBike demand in the US that different than our northern brethren? Neither county gets the Explore +E 0 Pro. What’s up with that? That’s a shame because I would love to have that Pro model. Even add on Gear for eBikes is limited compared to what’s sold overseas.

Not for 2020! For 2020, ONLY the 2 and 4 models are available in Canada. The 1 and 3 models are from 2019 and are still on the Giant Canada website even though they show as being all sold out.

It's a real shame that they aren't bringing the higher model (E+1) into Canada for 2020.

As I have been doing my research I have noticed that most LBS carry very few models on the floor and never the higher tiered bikes. And to add insult to injury they never have a Small to test 😳.

But to be fair it must be expensive to carry lots of inventory. And that is why I'm reading lots of these threads. Thanks to all for my edukashun!

As I have been doing my research I have noticed that most LBS carry very few models on the floor and never the higher tiered bikes. And to add insult to injury they never have a Small to test 😳.

But to be fair it must be expensive to carry lots of inventory. And that is why I'm reading lots of these threads. Thanks to all for my edukashun!
Just to repeat what I've often said in other threads, if you're really considering a bike with small frame size, do your best to actually test one in your size before buying! And it must be a small in the model you're considering.

I'd test ridden an Explore E+3 (2019) with medium frame and I found everything was fine except that I was awfully high off the ground (short legs syndrome) so I ordered, sight unseen and untried) an E+1 with small frame size. It was the last one in Canada and I had it shipped clear across the country to me. Then I found that I really wasn't comfortable on that bike as everything was smaller... the seat was too far forward and the handlebars too close. I was quite cramped in the cockpit. So it took a lot of effort, and some money, to find the right longer handlebar stem and an offset seat post but I finally got the bike right for me. Part of it might have just been my getting more used to it, but really the bike didn't fit right when I got it and that was a surprise. So, do your best to try before you buy.

Models, yes. My Explore is a M, fits perfectly.
Trance is a L - fits perfectly. These two feel like they're the same size. Obviously the seat post is quit a bit taller on the Trance. I have the dropper all the way down into the post, so that at full height it's perfect for seated pedaling. For offroad, for anything at all downhill aggressive, it's a must-have. The first time I saw one I was smitten. 😍

Wife's Amiti is a M - it's smaller than my Explore M, but fits her fine, 5-6. Both of us are right in the middle for frame sizing. I always go larger than smaller.

MTB vs Cross bike are going to feel different, sizing and reach are different. I nearly always make adjustments in fit, seat up or back, bars up, controls adjusted. Get it where you like it. A good dealer will do this for you as well.

On the Explore I added a cheapo suspension seatpost - the Satori one - and even though it only moves about an inch, in combination with the balloon tires - Big Apples - it's way way more comfy to ride. Dampens all the harshness of rough pavement.

Back