2019 Samedi Race 4 first impressions

Steve, it is critical I can collect (and pay for) the bike tomorrow, which is Thursday. It is because I will travel to Cracow this Friday, have a birthday party with Kalon (and Banshee), then set to a hilly ride for 50 km on Saturday. The dealer is good (and he needs the money); still, it is not in his hands but in the hands of the Giant distributor. I would be weeping if it turned out the bike were unavailable. In such case, no bike purchase until the 2021 season starting in Autumn 2020. Since my Vado wouldn't be released from service by Friday, I might take the Lovelec, which is not a climber but what else to do?

Bad times indeed.
I would be concerned about the fitting if you have not tried one. You want to be sure to get the correct size. Also I think you will not like the racing seat.

The guy nicknamed Perry at the dealer's is of my height and weight so he said I'd like the bike ;) The saddle? I own too many of them...

JohnDoe I know which bike you have but what about a few pictures and your impressions of it?

I will post some picture next week. Going to my cottage early 2morrow morning and my bike is at home.

So far I really love the CX vs Performance line. It has a lot more power. The rear suspension is a big plus even if I have an absorbing Suntour seat post.

My other bike was a OpenXroad5 so handling is quiet identical. The thing I miss is the low bar on the Open, the FS5 has an higher bar and it is a bit hard to pass my feet on the other side to mount on the bike.

Since all component are identical, not much difference. The motor is the thing that appeal to me. On other thing. I was able to cruise at 32-33 km hr before now it is more 29-30. Must be the gear ratio I guess event though spec says that they are the same. When in turbo mode and you first start pedaling, it act as if someone is pushing you in the back. Impressive.

I’ve put close to 300km so far and I enjoy it very much.

Picture will come next week.

Cheers

Attachments

• 0BA067F7-3FC7-42A8-AAC3-F6409C1D4B69.jpeg
    0BA067F7-3FC7-42A8-AAC3-F6409C1D4B69.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 404
Today I put a spare battery in the Klickfix/ Vaude handlebar bag and headed out for a 100km ride.
You made me interested in that bag, Steve. How does the bike handle with the extra weight on the bars? Do you think it would mount on the 35 mm diameter handlebars? (It wouldn't).

Last edited:
Nah so it's the same as a fs5. Could you paint it blue as well. Oops forgot about the dropper post. But in a more serious note I spoke with our importer and frame may be slightly different.

Nah so it's the same as a fs5. Could you paint it blue as well. Oops forgot about the dropper post. But in a more serious note I spoke with our importer and frame may be slightly different.
Completely different bikes. Mine goes where yours fears to tread. Do not get me wrong , yours is an awesome bike too!

Sorry for the delay. Here are a few pict of my setup.

Attachments

• 80CC7C17-D15D-41C8-9B3F-C123C748C98D.jpeg
    80CC7C17-D15D-41C8-9B3F-C123C748C98D.jpeg
    745.7 KB · Views: 449
  • 20600BE0-A04A-4DE7-A4FD-A4AF10AA0DB5.jpeg
    20600BE0-A04A-4DE7-A4FD-A4AF10AA0DB5.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 462
  • 56563DA9-E345-4FB8-A414-8AECB465F5B9.jpeg
    56563DA9-E345-4FB8-A414-8AECB465F5B9.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 417
Why do you have a strap around the battery cover? How do you like those tires? If you need to raise your stem that much perhaps you need a medium frame instead of a small?

Why do you have a strap around the battery cover? How do you like those tires? If you need to raise your stem that much perhaps you need a medium frame instead of a small?

The strap is to prevent the cover to fly away when my bike is on the car's rack. At 250km/hr in the back of my Ferrari things tends to fly away (Ha! Ha!)

I love those tires, I had them on my previous Moustache. They handle well in gravel road and when cornering on pavement. Too bad I cannot buy them aftermarket.

The stem is high since I hate to bend on my bike. Sore palm and back. Now it is more relax.
So far I got 300km on my new FS5 and love it. The CX is an improvement over the Performance Line. The weather has not been vey good this spring so my sorties were limited.
On the left side of the handle bar is my electric horn. Under the seat the alarm if someone move the bike.

I carry a lot of gear, tool, juice, tender bar, clothes spare parts, New York lock etc.... Don't mind the extra load, the bike will push it.

I had the bike reprogramed yesterday since the walk assist was not implemented at first. A little derailleur adjustment corrected a tendency to be slow on gear shifting.

So far so good.

Cheers.

The strap is to prevent the cover to fly away when my bike is on the car's rack. At 250km/hr in the back of my Ferrari things tends to fly away (Ha! Ha!)

I love those tires, I had them on my previous Moustache. They handle well in gravel road and when cornering on pavement. Too bad I cannot buy them aftermarket.

The stem is high since I hate to bend on my bike. Sore palm and back. Now it is more relax.
So far I got 300km on my new FS5 and love it. The CX is an improvement over the Performance Line. The weather has not been vey good this spring so my sorties were limited.
On the left side of the handle bar is my electric horn. Under the seat the alarm if someone move the bike.

I carry a lot of gear, tool, juice, tender bar, clothes spare parts, New York lock etc.... Don't mind the extra load, the bike will push it.

I had the bike reprogramed yesterday since the walk assist was not implemented at first. A little derailleur adjustment corrected a tendency to be slow on gear shifting.

So far so good.

Cheers.
Nice ! I hope your weather improves soon.

3000 km update: No issues to report other than the fact that the Sunrace cassette has already been replaced. I know from experience that mid drive Ebikes eat cassettes but I was expecting it to last longer than it did. Now for the positives. Everything ! I love this bike. It has taken me confidently on trails that I have no right to attempt. I can only imagine whrere a younger me could have gone with a bike like this. I am shocked at what I can successfully achieve even at my age and there is just no comparison to a hardtail Ebike with a seatpost suspension when it comes to comfort. This bike can float over trouble...it turns the crunchy peanut butter into smooth. Test one of these bikes in your area if you can. Here is the bike in it's Winter touring guise with SKS front fender and rear Axiom rackrunner strip under the Topeak rack and bag.
1612991782264.png

Last edited:
15,000 km UPDATE: = NO ISSUES. I do not ride this bike in Winter because I value it too much to subject it to the salt , gravel and abuse Winter provides. I ride my Charger hardtail instead. As Spring approaches I begin to dream about all the new trails I will discover on this bike. At this point I have not seen any bike I would trade it for.
1644821745384.jpeg

3000 km update: No issues to report other than the fact that the Sunrace cassette has already been replaced. I know from experience that mid drive Ebikes eat cassettes but I was expecting it to last longer than it did. Now for the positives. Everything ! I love this bike. It has taken me confidently on trails that I have no right to attempt. I can only imagine whrere a younger me could have gone with a bike like this. I am shocked at what I can successfully achieve even at my age and there is just no comparison to a hardtail Ebike with a seatpost suspension when it comes to comfort. This bike can float over trouble...it turns the crunchy peanut butter into smooth. Test one of these bikes in your area if you can. Here is the bike in it's Winter touring guise with SKS front fender and rear Axiom rackrunner strip under the Topeak rack and bag. View attachment 78802
Hi

Thanks for the review.
How do you physically know that it is time to change the cassette?
Would you change the front gear also at the same time?
Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the review.
How do you physically know that it is time to change the cassette?
Would you change the front gear also at the same time?
Thanks
Good question. I am using Sram XX1 chains. They are chrome hardened ( only available for 11 speeds though ? ) and amazingly last as long as the cassettes and front rings so I simply ride the bike until it becomes obvious (skipping out of gears ) and change all 3 components at the same time. I have never broken one of these chains. My wife and sister in law have 10 speeds which cannot use the XX1s and have each broken their chains recently. The chain measurement tool will show almost no wear on these XX1 chains for many many KMs. I get about 5000 km on everything before I begin to notice any annoying gear popping and then when it gets too annoying I change all 3 parts (chain, front ring ,cassette ). The tools I bought to do the job have paid for themselves long ago. The most expensive is the Park tool Torque wrench . One thing I forgot to mention is that the SLX deraileur on this bike is nowhere near as smooth as the Deore XT on my hardtail and so I finally decided to upgrade it and have an XT on order now for this bike. Also the tires in the pic are Smart Sam Plus which are good but I went back to Magic Mary full knobbies. They are so great in the goo! The XT is an excellent bit of gear, so responsive and a joy to use. If anyone wants to learn do this routine work for yourself, watch the Scooteretti video on changing a Bosch front ring and also Park tool videos on changing a cassette and replacing a chain. I am not very mechanically inclined so if I can do it I promise almost anyone with a tiny bit of strength can too. I keep a drawer with those spare parts along with brake pads ,tubes and tires. You can order the Bosch front rings online at Rosebikes Germany. ( get some cheap rubber O rings at the same time). I have an assortment of front rings from 15-to 21. I use the larger sizes 18-21 works best on this bike ( it came with a 14 ) so I can go faster because all our bikes have delimiters and otherwise I run out of gears at top speed. Increasing the front ring size is no problem on Gen 2 Bosch motors. I hear it causes shut down on the newer motors?

Last edited:
Back