2019 Gazelle Arroyo Elite - squeak when frame flexes identified

Steve-H

I originally thought a squeak over bumps in bike paths was in the seat but the frame is flexing and the integrated battery cover has 4 spots that guide the battery to stay centred. The plastic is rubbing against the frame when the flexing happens. Perhaps this is aggravated by the 1-5 degree Celcius "spring" weather shrinking the frame? I have placed small pieces of plastic electrical tape over the plastic guides and the battery cover does not squeak when the frame is shaken. We will see how long this test patch lasts.

So far, I love the bike and the option of stepping through is very nice in urban riding when navigating the intersections and crosswalks. I have had to adjust the Nexus gear alignment "yellow marks", probably due to new cables stretching. The seat tilt hex positioning stops needed to be tightened as the seat got a little wobbly due to all the absorption of bike path bumps.

The fenders are perfect and the headlight can be adjusted so as not to blind people in oncoming bike path traffic.

My gear selection:
Eco - removes the feeling of a heavy bike
Tour- use on upgrade sections of a ride
Sport- erase the effect of strong headwinds. You need to wear glasses because bike speed of 25km/hr and wind speed of 30+km/hr add up and the wind blows dust etc at you.
Turbo- Uphill sections feel flat

Followup on squeak fix. The tape wore through at the contact points and then the squeaking resumed. I removed it and used a light touch of some teflon bike lubricant (white cream) around the outside edge of the battery cover, the guides on the battery cover that wore through the tape and the inside of the aluminum frame opening. So far it is totally quiet after many rides.

hi Steve,, I just purchased the 2019 arroyo. simply love the bike. but am also getting the battery pack/frame squeak. how is the grease "fix" holding up? where did you grease and how much, if I may ask? regards, will

hi Steve,, I just purchased the 2019 arroyo. simply love the bike. but am also getting the battery pack/frame squeak. how is the grease "fix" holding up? where did you grease and how much, if I may ask? regards, will
Light spread with a finger around outer edge of cover on the battery. Finger spread light and not visible on inner edge of aluminum opening in the frame. A slightly visible dab on the 4 guides that have a small ridge that was for sure squeaking. So far 150km and still have to just use my bell because the bike is quiet.

fyi, here is my my own battery-to-frame squeak solution... I placed weather seal tape around the edge of the battery. it's working great so far. this avoids the messiness of grease, which seems to end up on the hands, the outer frame etc. when you handle the the battery.

One week update: the squeak, like the cat, came back the very next day. Went back to grease and that seems the best fix.

Attachments

• tape.jpeg
    tape.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I have a Gazelle Arroyo as well. Fit and finish of the bike are exceptional. I had a squeak, but it turned out to be my water bottle rubbing against the rack. :)
The Arroyo has been the quietest bike (or e-bike) I have ever ridden. I would call Gazelle if you have a question, they are really good at support. I had a lot of questions and they were super helpful and friendly. Super Gazelle fan here obviously :). It has given me a second chance at biking, which I never thought would be possible after I became disabled.

I have a Gazelle Arroyo as well. Fit and finish of the bike are exceptional. I had a squeak, but it turned out to be my water bottle rubbing against the rack. :)
The Arroyo has been the quietest bike (or e-bike) I have ever ridden. I would call Gazelle if you have a question, they are really good at support. I had a lot of questions and they were super helpful and friendly. Super Gazelle fan here obviously :). It has given me a second chance at biking, which I never thought would be possible after I became disabled.
Is your Arroyo the 2019 Elite model with the battery integrated into the frame or the older design with the battery on the rack? I also have an Arroyo (2017), and it has no squeaks, but Steve-H is talking about the 2019 Elite model with the battery mounted on the frame. I am betting Gazelle will make some changes to avoid this issue on future Arroyo Elite models.

I love my wife's easy flow. Sometimes I think I should have bought one too, instead of my Haibike.. No squeaks on her bike but I don't like the very small amount of suspension travel in the head tube, it's almost not worth having at all. My only other complaint is the rim brakes. They work great in dry weather and haven't given us any trouble but for the money, I would expect some good disc brakes. I agree that the Gazelle is the quietest bike I've ever ridden as well. My Haibike has some annoying rattles, I think they are coming from cables in the frame tubes but I'm not sure. The Gazelle is so SMOOTH! just stay off dirt roads with pot holes!

Just an update on the grease fix. I have 3000+ km and did winter riding with studded tires. The grease is needed on little alignment fins on the plastic cover that rub on the opening in the aluminum tube.
Just don't handle it near the fins when removing the battery which I did to charge it on very cold days. I have never reapplied any grease!

I have upgraded to a 2020 Gazelle Ultimate T10 HMB (even more awesome) and my wife can now enjoy the Arroyo.

No squeak in Ultimate; totally different tube design. I should open a different thread title for the Ultimate T10 if I find any tips.

I should open a different thread title for the Ultimate T10 if I find any tips.
Please do, with some photos. I would be interested in your experiences....good and bad
My wife has the 2018 Ultimate T10 and is very happy with it
I have the 2020 Ultimate T10 on my list of potential new ebikes
Not sure when or if I will be able to find a local dealer who has stock to test ride in these uncertain times

Attachments

• D68A284D-C82A-4246-8A0B-900057F5FAB6.jpeg
    D68A284D-C82A-4246-8A0B-900057F5FAB6.jpeg
    740.6 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
I have a 2019 Arroyo Elite and at 700 miles, it has started to squeak, but not all the time. I'm not sure it's worth it to mess with it as it only bothers if I think about it. Otherwise, the bike has been quite a nice surprise.

Light spread with a finger around outer edge of cover on the battery. Finger spread light and not visible on inner edge of aluminum opening in the frame. A slightly visible dab on the 4 guides that have a small ridge that was for sure squeaking. So far 150km and still have to just use my bell because the bike is quiet.
Hi Steve, I’m a brand new Arroyo owner-yay! Can you provide details about the lubricant you used? My bike has the squeak too. Other than that, it is the perfect bike!

Hi Steve, I’m a brand new Arroyo owner-yay! Can you provide details about the lubricant you used? My bike has the squeak too. Other than that, it is the perfect bike!
I used a white lithium based grease that is waterproof. Permatex white lithium grease is an example. Just a small dab on each of the ridges of plastic on the battery cover that are touching the frame opening. Have never reapplied; perhaps the plastic wears in more silently. I used a small tube rather than a messy spray that they use on your car door hinges.

I used a white lithium based grease that is waterproof. Permatex white lithium grease is an example. Just a small dab on each of the ridges of plastic on the battery cover that are touching the frame opening. Have never reapplied; perhaps the plastic wears in more silently. I used a small tube rather than a messy spray that they use on your car door hinges.
Thank you so much!

I am attaching a photo of the plastic guide and the wear after 2 seasons. The right side was worn more than the left and I have never re-lubricated the guides. I suspect they wear silently and then don't continue to squeak.
IMG_7440.jpg

Just an update on the grease fix. I have 3000+ km and did winter riding with studded tires. The grease is needed on little alignment fins on the plastic cover that rub on the opening in the aluminum tube.
Just don't handle it near the fins when removing the battery which I did to charge it on very cold days. I have never reapplied any grease!

I have upgraded to a 2020 Gazelle Ultimate T10 HMB (even more awesome) and my wife can now enjoy the Arroyo.
Hello Steve!!
Thanks for the tip! The grease trick works well! My wife has the Arroyo elite which squeaked badly on our first ride. I brought it back to the dealer for repair and the mechanic did some battery cradle adjustments that seemed to work for a bit but the squeaking came back. Tried a small amount of grease as suggested, the bike is as quite as can be. My wife loves her Gazelle. I have the Medeo T10 + and no issues whatsoever. Miles of FUN!
Thanks Again!!

Back