2018 Vado 6.0 reliability concerns?

IronChefBoyardee

Region
USA
City
Austin, Texas
Hi everyone. I recently bought a 2018 Turbo Vado 6.0 w/ ~700 miles from an online used bike dealer, and was hoping to get some input while I'm waiting for it to arrive.

I was doublechecking the specs and stumbled upon some negative reviews and forum posts here about reliability issues. They seem mostly related to the BLOKS controller and the Brose 1.2s motor. I was already considering the $200 TCD retrofit, and looking at the rebuild videos and price lists, it doesn't seem that bad to me to have to DIY or pay for a rebuild if/when the motor has an issue. Not sure about other issues with this year such as frame issues.

If I upgrade the TCD and am OK with getting a failed motor rebuilt, should I be pretty confident this will be a good bike to own out of warranty? I work on my non-ebikes and am mechanically inclined, so I hadn't thought much of getting a used out of warranty bike until I started reading some of the issues with the older Turbo bikes. Am I being paranoid?

For what it's worth, I would have gone with a new Vado 5.0 for about $1k more (including the 2018 retrofit, shipping, tax, and local ebike rebate) but they're backordered with no restock date. The Turbo Tero is in stock but by the time I added everything to make it a comparable commuter it's significantly more than $1k more than this used bike. So that's the alternative if I decide to return this 2018, I wait and hope they restock the 5.0 in my size sooner than later. The cost is less of a concern for me than the time waiting.

As an aside, the online dealer listed the motor as 1.3 street tuned, but the Specialized archive page shows 1.2s. I'll see what shows up, but I'm guessing the error is on the dealer's listing.

@JmNBoulder has reequipped his similar Vado with TCD-w recently. I strongly recommend doing the same. Jim will certainly tell you more about his recent experience. P.S. The BLOKS to TCD-w conversion kit must be specifically designated for Vado 6.0.

Now, my 1.2s motor (in 2017 Vado 5.0, similar to Vado 6.0) failed after over 8,000 miles and 3 years. The cost of the new motor is US$1,000. As it is always the carbon belt inside the motor that fails, it is possible to rebuild that motor. The worst thing that might happen to you is a frame crack in the motor mounting area.

My Vado gave me over 13,000 happy kilometres and 3 years of joy. I did free TCD-w upgrade in 2020 (per warranty, by Specialized). My motor and frame failed at the same time. I'm paying for the new motor, the frame will be replaced by Specialized. (The latter will not apply to you).

Yet your Vado 6.0 is equipped with the suspension fork. That might protect the frame of your e-bike against excessive stress. (My Vado 5.0 was equipped with a rigid fork).

but the Specialized archive page shows 1.2s. I'll see what shows up, but I'm guessing the error is on the dealer's listing.
It is the 1.2s. Vado 6.0 is a unique "European 45 km/h S-Pedelec" with far more of ride safety features than other American Vado models have ever had. 1.2s motor has special features for horn, and lighting, especially the automotive grade Supernova M99 Pro headlight. TRP Zurich brakes. Electrak tyres. Premium drivetrain. Mirror included.

Last edited:
I also, recently got a 2019 Vado 4.0 to use in Florida while on vacation(s).
147 miles, $1,400, flawless condition.
Being sight unseen, I may (or most likely will not) be in for any surprises.
But to be proactive, I did pickup the BLOKS to TCD-w conversion kit, so in the event, it is needed, I have it. (the original owner does not know or understand).
So, does anyone have the PDF or video that shows the steps/process to do the retrofit?

Hey @Stefan Mikes , thanks for the input. Do you happen to have a photo of how your frame cracked so I can keep an eye out in the future?

It is the 1.2s. Vado 6.0 is a unique "European 45 km/h S-Pedelec" with far more of ride safety features than other American Vado models have ever had. 1.2s motor has special features for horn, and lighting, especially the automotive grade Supernova M99 Pro headlight. TRP Zurich brakes. Electrak tyres. Premium drivetrain. Mirror included.
When looking at the motor it does have a "street tuned" sticker, but there wasn't anything obvious indicating 1.2s or 1.3, so I'd assume it's 1.2s like you said it was supposed to have. Maybe once I do the TCD retrofit I'll be able to confirm the motor in the app.

The horn is a nice touch on the eurospec, although mine sounds muted. While tightening the motor mounts yesterday, I noticed when I had the motor mount bolt that the horn is mounted to loose, the horn was loud, like you'd expect a horn to sound, but when I tightened that bolt it sounded muted like you were holding onto the horn enclosure. I tried a few times and making sure no cables were pressing against the housing, but still no luck. I might try using some rubber washers for where the horn attaches to its mounting bracket.

Mine didn't have a Supernova M99, instead it is a Specialized branded head light. I might upgrade to a Supernova at some point though.

@GuruUno that's crazy low mileage. This one came with all the manuals, CD-ROM, and a blank bike shop receipt with a price tag on it. I wonder if it was a demo bike that never sold.

I found an ebay listing for the conversion kit that says it comes with instructions. It did mention that you have to flash the FW which requires the Turbo Studio equipment. I was thinking about just paying the quoted $50 labor to install since it looks like it involves routing wires which could be a pain, and just to flash the FW this LBS wanted ~$20.

This bike was making a creaking/popping noise when starting up from stop. I found the motor torque TDS in one of your threads, and after doing that process it's been quiet so far.

So far I'm enjoying the bike a lot and feel good about not waiting for a new one. Buying a relatively expensive used e-bike sight unseen is definitely nerve wracking.

Attachments

• Specialized Turbo Vado 2018 6.0.jpeg
    Specialized Turbo Vado 2018 6.0.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I also, recently got a 2019 Vado 4.0 to use in Florida while on vacation(s).
147 miles, $1,400, flawless condition.
Being sight unseen, I may (or most likely will not) be in for any surprises.
But to be proactive, I did pickup the BLOKS to TCD-w conversion kit, so in the event, it is needed, I have it. (the original owner does not know or understand).
So, does anyone have the PDF or video that shows the steps/process to do the retrofit?
Check out this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...e-shop-mechanics-to-trade-out-displays.32138/

So, being a fussy perfectionist, I asked the LBS to research the serial number of the acquired Vado 4.0.
The spec sheet shows: Specialized TCD-W w/ handlebar remote & built-in anti-theft feature, Bluetooth® connectivity, 5 available display pages
So....I should be golden!!
The bottom line is when I ultimately get there and validate the TCD-W, I'll make available the BLOKS to TCD-W conversion kit to interested parties.

Back