2018 RadPower Battery Alternative

Atlradcruiser

Got 2018 Radcity and wondering about battery alternatives. Do y’all think that there will be a generic option in the future that’s compatible with the 2018 model or should I get a rad battery and store it until it’s needed when the current battery runs out? Just looking for best way to prolonge the lifetime and don’t want the battery to run out in the future and the 2018 battery model not be available in the future. Thanks!

The new battery, as far as I know, will not be generic one and only usable with the new Rad Power Bikes.

I have a 16 Radrover with a spare battery. I use both batteries instead of storing one long-term. I ride for around 2-weeks at a time and switch to the other battery. Whatever level the battery is at from my last ride is where I keep it before re-charging 2 weeks later.

The reason for the spare battery was I had a battery fail during the warranty period (it powered the bike fine; but, wouldn't charge at all). Rad Power Bikes sent me a replacement under warranty. With the help from the folks on this forum, I was able to take the battery pack apart and repair (blown internal fuse).

Having a spare battery does come in handy if you are close to max weight, like to ride +PAS 3, a lot of hills, long distance riding +35 miles, or very windy days.

I'm pretty sure that 2018 battery is the same as the Shark battery (Hailong-1 case?) found on Luna's site. Measure your battery and compare it to the Luna battery. One of the reasons why I like my 2016 Radwagon is that I can use batteries from other vendors. Dimensions are from the Luna site.
sharkdimensions__19629.1449387243.jpg

Here are picks from my Shark battery.

IMG_20180518_203315.jpgIMG_20180518_203324.jpgIMG_20180518_203344.jpgIMG_20180518_203833.jpg

Prices seem more competitive this time. If its a match, I may get my battery from Rad for my non-Rad e-bikes.

Last edited:
There is a slight difference in the battery tray from Rad compared to the Luna Cycle battery. The new Rad battery case port is located towards the end of the battery tray. The Luna Cycle battery port for the tray is toward the middle. I think Rad Power Bikes standardized the battery for all ebikes for 2018. I noticed the difference with the EBR videos for Rad ebikes.

You will have to change out the battery tray if you purchase the Luna Cycle battery.

They take out the RadCity battery at 9:50 into the video:

Yep, its a different battery. No more plug and play with the Dolphin batteries on the 2018 models. The new prices aren't too bad for 14 ah. Not the best prices but certainly not the most expensive either.

Last edited:
Careful, there are 3 models of "Shark". Made by Shanshan "Hailong". and now a better version made by Reention (Dolphin). The bases are not inter changeable. That looks like the Reention version, better made and just coming to the market on a larger scale. I have an empty case coming and will post pictures as soon as it arrives.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 1.47.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 1.47.03 PM.png
    383.7 KB · Views: 1,505
I'm pretty sure that 2018 battery is the same as the Shark battery (Hailong-1 case?) found on Luna's site.
Definitely NOT!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 1.47.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 1.47.03 PM.png
    383.7 KB · Views: 1,002
Careful, there are 3 models of "Shark". Made by Shanshan "Hailong". and now a better version made by Reention (Dolphin). The bases are not inter changeable. That looks like the Reention version, better made and just coming to the market on a larger scale. I have an empty case coming and will post pictures as soon as it arrives.

Did the empty case fit?

I am about to purchase two of the 2018 batteries. at $550 each and $60 each for shipping. That’s lot of $$$. If the bike is $1799 with battery, that’s about 31% of the RadWagons cost. Almost 1/3 fbthe bikes cost is the battery?? (I left the shipping out of the calculation)

Where did you find the 2018 empty case from?

Lipos degrade from the moment their made. I would not buy one to have as a spare just sitting around. I would what till you need a new battery and buy it then.

Lipos degrade from the moment their made. I would not buy one to have as a spare just sitting around. I would what till you need a new battery and buy it then.

I am looking for another one to help extend range for long rides. I see riding out to one bar on battery, swapping batteries, and heading back.

When not using it for long rides I would rotate between batteries

I found this online at:

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

If you scroll down to the section titled "Proper Care & Treatment: Storage"....

It talks about a "storage voltage" of 3.8v. I imagine that would be the per cell voltage.

It also states, "I feel the need to reiterate: the most common problem people have with LiPo batteries is a direct result of improper storage. When a LiPo battery sits for a long period of time (and not at proper storage voltage), it tends to discharge itself. If it drops below 3.0V per cell, the vast majority of LiPo chargers will not charge it."

Again, I think we are speaking of a per cell voltage as I believe most 18650 lithium cells charge to 4.2 Volts maximum. Also it seems to state that if we stored the batteries at the proper voltage they will "not" tend to discharge? Maybe its just at a much slower rate than improper storage voltage....

I thought someone said that after each ride I should fully recharge the battery in preparation for the next ride. I guess that's OK as long as I take that next ride soon and not weeks later. Otherwise, I'm guessing a close to 90% charge is better for storage (3.8/4.2 is about 90.5%) and then charge it that final 10% before the ride?? Assuming a 90% charge equates to the "cells" being at 3.8V... Also, how can we tell when we are at 90% as there's only LEDs on the battery? Being a 48V pack, would that be 43.2V... Ok, I think I'm over thinking this....

Wait, this thread is about finding an alternative battery to the $610 ($550 + $60 s&h) Rad battery and not battery care / use... I'll have to search for that thread.

I am looking for another one to help extend range for long rides. I see riding out to one bar on battery, swapping batteries, and heading back.

When not using it for long rides I would rotate between batteries

I found this online at:

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

If you scroll down to the section titled "Proper Care & Treatment: Storage"....
To many caveats with LiPo for me. They are unhappy when over discharged and when over charged. Thing is, they BURN like all hellfire.
I'd never charge unmonitored or in my house. Here's one of the better tutorials. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52240

HERE"S SOME LIPO FIRE TESTING!

I've been considering going to a 20 amp battery lately. I could likely be convinced to make that move by a fair offer for my 2018 Rad battery that was new in June. It would likely include the rack as I would have no further use for it. -Al

Al, I would be interested to know if you have done the research that would support that anything other than a RAD battery would work?

Sure, there are a LOT of options here - assuming you don't need to use the factory RAD rack. If you're looking for options there, for batteries that can be used with that rack, I'm thinking you're pretty limited for compatible choices. I have not looked into that.

If you are not fixed on using the RAD rack, you have a TON of choices. Just remember that rack is not welded to the frame. It could be easily swapped to something that will handle the battery you're interested in. The other thing to remember is that there are only 2 wires coming out of that rack. As long as you don't get them backwards you're good to go!

Myself, I'm considering going to 52 volts as I know the rest of my system will handle it. Would also like to go with the LiFe battery chemistry (vs. LiPo) as I feel better from a safety perspective. The rest of the bike has been done my way. If I could get a fair offer for the Rad battery I could justify finishing it up my way. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with this battery, I'll just continue using it. -Al

Thanks for that perspective Al.

I don’t think the stock RAD batteries are LiPo though? They use 18650 Li-Ion cells.

I would also suggest holding off on upgrading as 2170 batteries are on the horizon and will be worth the wait.

There are 6 types of lithium Ion.
Li-cobalt oxide
Li - Manganese
Li -Nickel Manganese
Li - Iron phosphate
Li - nickel cobalt aluminum oxide
Li - Titanate

All 6 are LIPOS

Back