2016 Turbo S chain drops off chainring :(

I have had mine for about 8 weeks now, and have had the front chain pop to just outboard the chainring where it becomes stuck between the chainring and the outer guard. It just sits there and slips. It happens mostly when I upshift while accelerating aggressively, and oddly enough has happened taking off from the same intersection multiple times. I have occasionally been able to get it back on the chainring by downshifting to pull it back inboard. Today after I successfully completed this maneuver, I did another up shift and the sucker fell off INBOARD. Anyhow, the first time or 2 I though it was a minor nuisance, but now I am getting a bit frustrated. Talked to the dealer about it and he was absolutely no help. Seems his interest in me waned rapidly after I dropped $7 G's in his shop. Anyhow I am surprised by this frequent fall off as I have used Shimano drivetrains for 20 years, although this is my first "1X" system. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also suggestions that I "shift carefully" will be noted, but I have already thought of this. Seems disappointing in a bike that costs as much as a good used motorcycle (or a beater car).

Respectfully,

New E Biker
Cupertino CA

I had the same problem and just adjusted the chain guard way down tight almost touching the chairing. Problem solved.

Yes we had already adjusted this as low to the chain as possible, but the chain still came off regularly.

Turns out there are three settings for the amount of tension the rear derailleur cage applies to take up chain slack, mine came from the factory at the lowest setting. The shop put it to the middle setting and the chain has not fallen off yet. The lever to change the setting is behind a little flap door in the derailleur somewhere. The technician called it a "clutch".

Hi

I had similar problem with the chain drop off outboard in the gap between chain ring and bash guard. I took to my local Specialized dealer here in Sweden they first order a specific chain guide that many of you mentioned, but it was not the problem. They said the chain ring was misstaken assembled inward so it created a gap and the chain can fit in between. I can clearly see the gap is tighter now and the chain cannot fit in between. The chain haven't drop off after that service. Is like 2mm space between the chain and bash guard now then before was like 4,5mm space.

I also adjusted my chain retention on my Base Turbo and had the chain, sprockets, derailleur checked too but always came off at speed in the 2 highest (ratio) gears on bumpy roads.
So I made an inner guard, much like a bash guard but on the inside of the chainring and chain hasn't come off yet.

Attachments

• TurboChainGuard_01.jpg
    TurboChainGuard_01.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 409
  • TurboChainGuard_02.jpg
    TurboChainGuard_02.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 378
Update finally!

Dealer had installed new chain (Shimano XTR) which did nothing.

The weird thing is that the chain dropped repetitively inboard under very low load conditions (I was intentionally being careful) and even dropped when shifting between 5th and 6th gears, when the chain line is at it's most neutral (not stressed to the extreme inner or outer cogs!)

So dealer put on a new SRAM chain. I said I wasn't going to bother trying the bike again until they spoke with the Specialized tech folks.

Turns out there is what the dealer calls a "clutch type" rear derailleur which provides an adjustment to the amount of tension applied to the derailleur pulleys (this tension is what takes up the slack in the chain by pulling back on the lower pulley), and this came from the factory on the "low" setting. They moved it to the "medium".

I took the bike back and have had 2 successful commutes of 15 miles each, no dropping yet.

I will keep you posted.
I have done this as well with no drops on two rides. The cover is very difficult to remove and will probably mar the surface a bit. I moved the clutch a quarter turn tighter.

Question for you guys that have adjust the clutch on rear derailluer which side does your chain drops of in or out side? And is it most of the time when you ride on bumpy road on 1-3 highest gear does this happens?

Question for you guys that have adjust the clutch on rear derailluer which side does your chain drops of in or out side? And is it most of the time when you ride on bumpy road on 1-3 highest gear does this happens?
Always out and it will jump off on smooth or bumpy surfaces. I have not adjusted the chain guard yet as well.

Back