2015 Models hit shops in San Diego yesterday...

99% of Turbo riders have never experienced a power loss such as you describe. Overheating seems unlikely - I sometimes ride up a 700 ft. hill using the throttle mode, and the motor gets warm, but not hot. The one part implicated in the rare issues like this is the thumb-controller, which was delicate on some bikes, and would get flaky and drop into regen mode (flashing icon) when climbing.
The cure on mine was the dealer replacing the controller. Hasn't happened since.
Based on your description, I'm wondering if there is something the shop is doing wrong during setup, as they don't sound like they knew the bikes very well..

Two demos, two fails, no sale, nuff said. Ultimately I ended up on a Haibike FS RX and I'm very happy with it. Ironically my local shop was not interested in ordering the FS even though they had the trekking and 29'r on the floor, point being they lost a sale that day too and I found a great demo price across town, a convoluted path to my personal e-bike destiny. Enjoy. -S

Two fails is two too many. I don't blame you for passing on the Turbo, just saying that your experience was not typical.

It's a great bike but one can not stop evolution. I was thinking Bosh was the new de facto standard until I heard of the latest batch of issues.

sorry to hear about your negative experience

I think its a bug in the software when you hit the max speed cut off. I've had it happen to me once going 45km/h+ up a hill, quickly put it into eco mode, back into turbo mode and voila... full assistance. The bike is easy to keep at 40km/h (25mph), I weigh 100kg, but 45km/h takes a little more effort.

Only other time I've had turbo icon flashing is if I use the thumb controller as a throttle to the 20km/h limit, it flashes until I put drop it to eco and then back to turbo. But you can keep applying throttle while its flashing. But who wants to go 20km/h?

Ultimately I ended up on a Haibike FS RX and I'm very happy with it.

How do you find the mid drive system? I have wondered about the small chain ring that the new Bosch has. Doesn't that translate into odd gear ratios. Does the mid drive make any noise? One thing I like about the Turbo is that at least I cannot hear any noise from the motor. Does the Haibike have the hitting the wall -effect at 20 mph? I guess the FS RX comes with the Intuvia, or is the Nyon an option? The Nyon looks like a great system.

18 tooth ring turns 2.5 times per crank revolution, only a bit of noise in aggressive low gear hill climbing, mine does not hit the wall at all, Nyon seems to have issues with the case cracking. Shift detection is BS in my experience, may not be setup right but the adaptable human simply backs off the cranks a bit and the torque sensor cuts the power very quickly. Finally blew a shift after 2 thousand miles, but then I discovered I had failed to re-engage the clutch feature of the rear derailleur, a feature that keeps more tension on the chain. Cleaning the drivetrain helps too. On road bikes I would wear out the chain in 1,500 miles, but at 2200 I'm just starting to think about replacing it, and the rear brake pads are finally getting thin requiring no adjustment in many months - a dream over mech disc brakes. Good luck everybody! -S

OTOH, with the 2-year warrantee, you can be sure that the issue would be fixed by Specialized. I don't think you will find posts by anyone whose Turbo wasn't fixed after reporting such a problem, which usually seems to be addressed by replacing the joystick controller.

mine does not hit the wall at all

So there is no speed limit where power is cut off? My Turbo cuts power at about 29 mph and it feels as if "hitting a wall", i.e., unless it is a steep downhill it becomes impossible to increase speed at least with my muscles.

Last edited:
Somebody mentioned the chain jumping off from time to time for the 2013 and 2014 models.

Yes, chain drop is a constant problem at least in the 2013 model. That little thingy could help but it is probably not easy install afterwards without resorting to drilling the frame etc. For a while I considered changing either the chainring to one of these or the derailleur to (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) but in the end I just learned to live with it and adjusted my ride so I dont pedal during large bumps.

I only had the chain drop happen at high speeds when going over large bumps. It sure is a PITA to stop and get your hands dirty but after I have done several of those I learned to either avoid those spots on my commute or keep pedaling/keep tension on the chain during the jumps (easier to say than done) :)

Again a chain drop today coming from work. Massive irritation. I came to a pretty steep speed bump at about 19 mph, gear 7 or something and not pedaling. Unlike Brambor, my experience is that the chain drops if I pedal when the chain is jumping, but I am not so sure about that anymore. Last week I even experienced a drop at slow slow speed and gear 1. At that position the chain is very tight so that should not be the cause. Maybe I should ask Specialized HD if there is a way to install the chain guide used in the new model.

UPDATE: Specialized said drilling holes will void warranty and possibly make frame unsafe. I dont get this, because in the MY 15 bike frame there will be holes to attach the guide.

Last edited:
that's dumb. sorry to hear that. skipping chain is really annoying. I am no mechanic but part of the effect is also due to the S thingy in the rear. it flexes , loosens the chain and voila! Is there a way to tighten the flex in the S and would it help ?

I have the X0 derailleur on my 2014 Turbo S. I have not dropped a chain in (only) 600 miles. I recently had a rear flat and I noticed the spring tension of the X0 is a lot higher than my other bicycles. I struggled to reinstall the wheel until I took the chain off the chainring, installed the wheel and then put the chain on the ring.

Last edited:
I have the 2014 with the X0 derailleur. I not had a chain drop. I did have a flat tire recently and noticed how much more spring tension that derailleur has. I struggled to reinstall the wheel until I took the chain off the chainring.

I like the orange combined with grey. Looks like the guards are not matte or that's probably it is the photshop effect. Also the seat looks different. Front light does not seem to be Supernova. Pedals look narrower as well.

Back