2015 Interbike plans extensive indoor test track for e-bikes!

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
The Circuit:

"Interbike is partnering with Extra Energy Services North America to create a purpose-built indoor test track at this fall's show. Shimano is the presenting sponsor of the track, which is being designed to test a variety of motor systems and bicycle designs, including e-bikes, fat bikes, and urban/lifestyle bikes."
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...-indoor-test-track-e-bikes-fat-bikes-and-more

The push is on to get e bikes in to the IBDN. Last years track outdoors was ok but it does get hot in Vegas....but one of the benefits of e bikes is that you don't have to work up a sweat right?

Interbike seems to be really pushing e bikes as the bike of the show last year was a Haibike e mtb? It will still be a slog to get e bikes into shops though I feel because of the issue with regards to the way that e mtb's are being heavily promoted and the resistance they are meeting from the cycling community at large. If they would put more focus on cargo capacity and commuting capabilities like the EU did to start out and let that evolve it would probably be a better plan. Oh well.

I went to my first Interbike last year and had a good (albeit frustrating) time. I enjoyed touring the show and seeing stuff. Amazed at how small the industry and the show is but it was fun nonetheless. I think I will go to Eurobike this year and compare.

The push is on to get e bikes in to the IBDN. Last years track outdoors was ok but it does get hot in Vegas....but one of the benefits of e bikes is that you don't have to work up a sweat right?

Interbike seems to be really pushing e bikes as the bike of the show last year was a Haibike e mtb? It will still be a slog to get e bikes into shops though I feel because of the issue with regards to the way that e mtb's are being heavily promoted and the resistance they are meeting from the cycling community at large. If they would put more focus on cargo capacity and commuting capabilities like the EU did to start out and let that evolve it would probably be a better plan. Oh well.

That's true that bike shops ought to be focusing cargo and commuting capabilities, but currently, bike shops sell to high-income weekend warriors with $2,500+ CF road bikes, and it's quite a big change to stock ebikes and try to sell customers on having a bike that they'd actually use outside of recreation. I'm not defending the bike shops for being stubborn -- I think they need to get with the program, but I see the reasons why they're slow to change. It's only a matter of time before bike shops that sell ebikes will be the _only_ kind of bike shops.

I'm a 100% recreational rider, mostly because the roads to get to my job 8 mi away aren't safe and partly because I need my car to do other things. I think there are many segments of the market that ebikes work for, commuters are just one segment. The over-65 set is another. Pedego really capitalizes on that segment.

I didn't mean to exclude recreational e biking so don't get me wrong. As I have said on here in the past the more mature EU e bike market that has evolved over the last 7 years or so that started with commuters and picked up lots of older folks and recreational riders led to the now burgeoning Speed Pedelec class e mtb's. Because they are popular in the EU and appear to be set to be a big seller there the EU manufacturers are putting them in the front row here right away before the US market can adapt to even the idea of e bikes for the most part. Its a cart before the horse situation in my mind. YMMV of course.

And 86, Interbike was very frustrating last year in that the layout was super confusing. Even with a map and the app I spent a good part of the time in the hall trying to figure out where I wanted to get to. I liked the show layout much better when it was at the Sand's which I attended many times and had become used to. Not sure if I will attend this year or not due to scheduling. Never been to Eurobike and never will because that market is not of interest to me and I don't drink beer and bratwurst and sauerkraut gives me gas. It might be interesting to go this year however because a concept I fed in to the industry via a friend with more chops than myself three years ago is going to be one of the new "big things" there. But I will just follow it online and skip the festivities.

I didn't mean to exclude recreational e biking so don't get me wrong. As I have said on here in the past the more mature EU e bike market that has evolved over the last 7 years or so that started with commuters and picked up lots of older folks and recreational riders led to the now burgeoning Speed Pedelec class e mtb's. Because they are popular in the EU and appear to be set to be a big seller there the EU manufacturers are putting them in the front row here right away before the US market can adapt to even the idea of e bikes for the most part. Its a cart before the horse situation in my mind. YMMV of course.

And 86, Interbike was very frustrating last year in that the layout was super confusing. Even with a map and the app I spent a good part of the time in the hall trying to figure out where I wanted to get to. I liked the show layout much better when it was at the Sand's which I attended many times and had become used to. Not sure if I will attend this year or not due to scheduling. Never been to Eurobike and never will because that market is not of interest to me and I don't drink beer and bratwurst and sauerkraut gives me gas. It might be interesting to go this year however because a concept I fed in to the industry via a friend with more chops than myself three years ago is going to be one of the new "big things" there. But I will just follow it online and skip the festivities.
My frustration was due to my vendor visits and not the show per se.

I've read that Shimano has plans for their STEPS mid-drive to be prominently displayed at Interbike. Given they are presenting sponsor of this circuit I'm hoping some of you attending will be able to provide opinions of the system and the bikes equipped with it.

I was wondering about ebike of the year as well! Place your bets... I'm betting something towards the more modest end.
Forgive me if everybody already knows, but I just recently found out that Juiced Riders ODK500 is one of five nominees for the Interbike 2015 E-Bike Of The Year!
(I recently posted this on the EBR Community: Juiced Riders forum) It's from the Interbike 2015 website.

E-Bike Action – Product Awards
18. E-Bike of the Year - This award represents any complete bike that was deemed a model year 2014 product and was submitted for review by the EBA staff between July 1st, 2014 and June 15th, 2015. The bikes nominated were also required to have been in production and available at retail within this timeframe.

 Haibike XDURO Race
 Juiced Riders ODK500 ⬅️
 Stromer ST2
 E-Joe Koda
 Focus Thron 27R 3.0

Exciting stuff!

For those of us want a glimpse of The Circuit Electric Bike Test Track at Interbike:

2016 was the first year that an advanced indoor track was built to test electric bikes (and some normal human powered bicycles) at Interbike. Interbike is a trade show in Las Vegas, NV held annually at the Mandalay Bay Resort and The Circuit is created in one of the event center halls (usually Hall E). The track features a ramp and some wooden off-road simulation sections as well as longer straightaway sections for reaching higher top speeds.

The Circuit has many sponsors, electric bike companies with product booths setup for demo rides, and the primary sponsor for 2016 was Shimano. The track was created in part by Pete Prebus from ElectricBikeReport.com (an ebike specific news and review website) and Extra Energy Services North America which helps to managing the track and collect ride data. The goal is to get dealers interested in and excited about electric bikes by giving them a chance to test ride while also getting feedback for customers to improve their products.

- Visit ElectricBikeReport.com (created and run by Pete Prebus) here: http://electricbikereport.com/
- Learn about Extra Energy North America and the Electric Bike Expo here: http://www.electricbike-expo.com/

This interview was shot on the fifth day of Interbike which is open to members of the public for “Customer Appreciation Day”. You can learn more about attending as a guest by connecting with your local electric bicycle (or traditional bicycle) dealer and visiting the official Interbike website, the cost was $20 per person in 2016.

- Learn more about Customer Appreciation Day 5 of Interbike: http://www.interbike.com/show-info/cu...
(Notes are courtesy of Court Rye)

Back