2015 Dash Run away...

Botte

I have a 2015 Izip Dash with about 360 miles on it and have been experiencing an abnormal behavior.

I bike commute to and from work each day about 20 miles round trip. Intermittently I will be in assist level 1 and going about 20 mph and the bike will suddenly accelerate. I stop peddling and it keeps going, I pull lightly on the brakes levers and it keeps going. If I fiddle with the assist level it may stop accelerating. Usually once I hit about 27 mph I'm hitting the brakes hard and then it drops out of assist. I have had it start back up once I let off the brakes.

I have taken it into the dealer and they checked the wiring harness, I discussed it with Currie and they said it could be the motor but I would need to go to the dealer. The dealer said they could not reproduce it, which doesn't surprise me as it is intermittent.

So has anyone else had this happen to them? If so how did Currie/Dealer resolve the issue?

Thanks,

Haven't had any issue at our shop; however, keep leaning on the dealer or Currie Tech for help if the shop doesn't respond. The regional rep should be able to give more assistance if they happen to be nearby. Realistically it's more likely a controller problem than motor issue.

No problems going home yesterday or in today. I do hate intermittence, it's much easier to fix something if it's more broken.

I do love my bike :)

Thanks,

Last edited:
I've had not exactly that issue, but I am also frustrated with what appeared to be intermittent power surges and failures which appear to be related to shorts in the system. As I am pedaling in frustration in the middle of one of these episodes I imagine bringing it to the dealer and asking them to ride for a couple days, because I know that if they they ride around a lot for a minute they likely will not experience the problem. It seems to me to happen following a rough patch of road

Electrical connection issues are some of the most challenging to trace down. They can even happen on part of the board inside the controller where a solder is weak or fails especially when overheated or a wrong size component was used on the board. And wiring harnesses do occasionally have a failure where part of the wire fits into the connector. It takes time and patience to track this down, so you you are right @Bud that the dealer may need a few days of in the stand or riding time to recreate the failure or track lack of continuity in a stretch of wiring harness.

Update, so I have 600 miles on the bike now. I have had the issue several more times and I think I have finally figured it out. It’s a software issue, here is a recap…

If I’m riding at a nice pace (assist level 1, 20mph) and slow down(13mph) (brake, down shift, but don’t get the bike pedals to have some torque on them) sometimes the bike will try to push me back to the pace I was running at prior to braking. It will push hard, pushing me faster than I was initially going. Here is my work around, if I make sure to down shift earlier and put some torque on the pedals it seems to reset the system and no big push as you start out again. So my issue with the workaround is this is not what happens in an emergency situation. Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

So today I became so frustrated with the intermittent power disruptions that I decided to attempt to disconnect the brake lever cut offs. I was surprised to learn that it is a magnet/sensor arrangement. I expected some mechanical switch. Any suggestions about how to adjust the system?

@Botte & @Bud , the torque sensor on a Dash can be tested using information on Currie Tech's site. The console has onboard diagnostics which will let you check the bottom bracket sensor settings among other items. This information is for both the 2015 & 2014 Dash. Since your bike is still under warranty, if you find a problem once you do the diagnostic test, then lean on your Dealer or contact Currie Tech.

So today I became so frustrated with the intermittent power disruptions that I decided to attempt to disconnect the brake lever cut offs. I was surprised to learn that it is a magnet/sensor arrangement. I expected some mechanical switch. Any suggestions about how to adjust the system?
I disabled my brake cut off on my 2014, it was a simple thing to do, I got pics if you're interested. Just need a small piece of solder.

Update, so the Dealer was right and I was wrong. I have not had a single issue since I started down shifting into speed transitions. So if I’m going to slow down, I down shift a couple of times spin the crank as I’m braking and when I start out again it is nice and smooth. If I don’t do this the bike will take off and get me back to my original speed. I now have about 850 miles and loving it J

Good that it was a simple solution; Botte! Smaller gears don't produce as much torque as the big gears do, so it makes sense to downshift before a stop; less aggressive at the start.

Back