1st Timer - Budget < $700 - Help !!

rcurran8

Hi Everyone,

I'm 5'6" and about 170lbs.

I need to purchase a bike ASAP to commute on a daily basis (city streets - Philly). Budget is not high. Lower the better :) A $500 price would be greaaattt.

I need something that is reliable where I won't have to sink money into it.

What are the best low end bikes? My daily round trip commute is less than 10 miles. I would like to not have to pedal at all. An option for cargo would be nice. And a detachable battery is necessary. My apartment is on the third floor so I can't haul this up and down the stairs each day.

Thoughts?? Please link me any good options!!

Thanks!!

The only one I recognize is the Currie technologies bike. There's no reviews for any of those bikes here (I looked). Just remember, you'll get what you paid for. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Yup, you'll get what you pay for for sure. I bought an "expensive" Stromer ST1 platinum and have put over 6500km on it this year and haven't done a thing to it (other than the normal cleaning, lube etc).

Because of your tight budget, if you can find something on Craigslist, I would definitely search that option. I think you'd be better off with a slightly used but better bike, than a brand new shitbird.
I (briefly) owned the last bike on your list—the XB300Li—and it did not work out for me at all.
It's very nicely appointed for the price and the battery is in a great location (vertical behind the seat post) but it did not have the "grunt" to climb any hills whatsoever. And my commute is a hilly one. I only weigh 120# but that bike was a gutless wonder.
You are young and presumably fit which is a point in your favor, but if your route is a hilly one, I think you will be disappointed by a low-cost hub-drive ebike. How about a human-powered ride for you? Your youth might make that a good option, and presumably there's good public transport in your neck of the woods. A human-powered bike would be a lot easier to hump on to the rack on the front of a transit bus. Just sayin'
Money is very dear to me too, but the XB300Li was a $300 mistake (return shipping and restocking fee from the seller). Yesterday, humbled and educated, I bit the bullet, spent four times the $$$ and ordered an Optibike Pioneer Allroad. A car is not an option for me; I lost my license due to some bad behavior in my not-so-recent past.
It is painful but true—with ebikes, as with anything—you do indeed get what you pay for. Be wary.
Court seems to stay away from the cheap stuff and now I know why. In my experience they are dogs that won't hunt.
Allen

The article James just posted about e-bike sales surging in Europe briefly mentions Mercedes providing 0% financing on their e-bikes. I would go that way if I were you. Get a good bike with a good warranty. You will be saving more money than you'd otherwise waste on gas, maintenance and insurance of a gas powered transportation.

Hi Everyone,

I'm 5'6" and about 170lbs.

I need to purchase a bike ASAP to commute on a daily basis (city streets - Philly). Budget is not high. Lower the better :) A $500 price would be greaaattt.

I need something that is reliable where I won't have to sink money into it.

What are the best low end bikes? My daily round trip commute is less than 10 miles. I would like to not have to pedal at all. An option for cargo would be nice. And a detachable battery is necessary. My apartment is on the third floor so I can't haul this up and down the stairs each day.

Thoughts?? Please link me any good options!!

Thanks!!

Buying an electrical bike at that price is very risky... Low performance and low reliability... You'll be fixing it or junking it within a year.

A good low tech bike is the iZip for around 1000...http://www.currietech.com

If you already have a bike that you like, you can easily convert it with the Copenhagen Wheel.. It's $700 and has decent specs, but it doesn't have a track record yet since it is new. You just mount the all in one wheel on your old bike and off you go!
https://www.superpedestrian.com/

I have dealt w/PHEW in Philly , great customer support , really nice people

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Well, so if I'm willing to up my budget to say 1k ... Where will that get me?

Is it just the lithium battery I need? What specs should I look for?

Sorry if these are elementary questions for u savy ebikers ha. Are there any manufactures that offer warranties better than the rest?

Thanks !!!!

Is this a good deal?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org

I emailed the poster about the battery and he replied with ...

" The batteries are Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) sealed lead acid that came with it. About 400 charge/discharge cycles. Ping Battery Company makes a great lithium pack starting at $658 and be as much as $1,053 for extreme riding. These last 2000 charge/discharge cycles Be sure to match the 1000 watt motor to a battery pack that can handle the load. For comparison, the AGM battery pack costs $400... "

Thoughts?

Yeah. I don't know much about these machines yet, but I like the one JoPah found a lot better.
I think a good place to start would be Philadelphia Electric Wheels. Since you're in the city, these folks might be your friends. A visit to them at the outset might save you a lot of visits to them later.
Allen

I just purchased a 2013 IZIP VIBE (mentioned in a previous reply) for $949 from Erik's Bike shop in MN. I understand it's limitations but am initially impressed and think it would do fine in Philadelphia. Check out the review on this bike, I think you'll like it. But it is too heavy to carry up 3 flights of stairs and I am not sure what you can do about that. It weighs 65 lb.

Back