1st e-bike conversion, talk me up, or talk me down!

It's for sure not underbuilt! But wouldn't a knife fit into the front or back to access the velcro?

It's for sure not underbuilt! But wouldn't a knife fit into the front or back to access the velcro?
well yes, but the battery is actually clamped in by the shield that's why it stabilized the battery. So after they worked at cutting all four sides of the velcro, they would have to muscle the battery out of the shield, all while a 113 db vibration alarm is going off including flashing lights!

A person could add a short blocking bolt to prevent access (the access is really tight) but with two locks, an alarm and this monster I think I should be able to relax. besides it not like it's a $2k bike, if someone wants to go thru all that for a $800 bike...they is in bad shape. Ohh I forgot to mention the psychological deterrent in the form of a sticker stating GPS TRACKING : )
When I do something..... I go all the way : )

I like the cut of your jib, and will investigate very loud alarms. Probably a better idea than using the battery to electrify the bike when parked...

The Universe appears to be realigning. Found a local battery place that will let me bring them the cells, spacers, and BMS, and will just charge me for the labor to scotch-tape them into a pack for me! Beats all hell out of paying $800 for a custom pack build from EBM or any of the other quotes I've received. Now to decide between 52v11.8Ah, 17Ah, or a 60v pack I could charge to 80% while maintaining the capacity of a 52v...

I like the cut of your jib, and will investigate very loud alarms. Probably a better idea than using the battery to electrify the bike when parked...
Here is the alarm I am getting (don't tell anyone ): Onvian smart taillight. $31 gets you a taillight with bright braking indicator,bell (3sounds), usb charging, auto off and on, and a 115 vibration alarm.

I might get a second type to hide in the shield(maybe overkill cuz I'll have two fobs)

Well I got the tail light/brake light/alarm. And it is something else, 3 thumbs up siskel's ebert.

Did I menthion how loud it is? My ears hurt when it goes off inside, there are quieter alarm settings, but why would anyone want a quit alarm?
Super bright blinking or steady and when you hit the brakes it gets brighter...I'm not sure but I may be more excited about this than my ebike....nah.... the ebike rules!

Last edited:
Things are heating up! My entirely too fancy double-kickstand arrived yesterday, and didn't fit. Oh well... expecting my Sturmey RS-RK3 today, to be refused and returned to Universal Cycles as a wheel build component. Anything obviously wrong with this wheelset?

1594398084783.png

Also expecting my new chain and tires sometime today! Maybe I'll even ride the thing once before ordering up the Bafang...

Things are heating up! My entirely too fancy double-kickstand arrived yesterday, and didn't fit. Oh well... expecting my Sturmey RS-RK3 today, to be refused and returned to Universal Cycles as a wheel build component. Anything obviously wrong with this wheelset?

View attachment 58499
Also expecting my new chain and tires sometime today! Maybe I'll even ride the thing once before ordering up the Bafang...
This will truely be YOUR bike.
The only way to "break down a build" more, would be forge your own metal and mold your own plastic parts : )

A thing of beauty and apparently a joy from 2014-2018, when it joined the Choir Invisible. And now its watch is ended.

The BBSHD is ordered and en route, along with my wheels. Continuing to get quotes for a custom battery pack, and should decide on that this week. KMC e101 chain is in-hand and ready to install. If all goes well I might have this thing ready for a shakedown week at OBX at the beginning of August!

Everything is here but my battery, which is in a race against time with my 8/1 departure date for the Outer Banks. Got till then to empty my bottom bracket, mount the BBSHD, arrange all of the accessories, and work out basic cable management. If I could bomb around the beach with it for a week of shakedown that would be amazing! I'll post some pictures as things progress.

Everything is here but my battery, which is in a race against time with my 8/1 departure date for the Outer Banks. Got till then to empty my bottom bracket, mount the BBSHD, arrange all of the accessories, and work out basic cable management. If I could bomb around the beach with it for a week of shakedown that would be amazing! I'll post some pictures as things progress.

Where did you buy your BBSHD from? I was looking at Luna BBS02 since it comes upgraded - not sure if the "Heavy Duty" is that critical but I do plan on some mountain biking.

You've been so active in this forum I get the hunch you will have your beast built in the next 24 hours - or at least up to the point where you need to hit Home Depot for a new Dremel. Good luck!

Sworn off Home Depot forever, but yeah... I'm sure there will be some running around this weekend, because I'm certain I have everything I need, and I'm frequently wrong about that kind of thing.

I ordered from Luna, and picked up a 52v smart charger, as well. If I can have it all-but-battery by Monday it'll be a good thing.

So far, so good! I got the non-drive side of the bottom bracket sealed cassette free, but had to drag the frame over to Green Lizard to get help with the drive side, as my bracket tool from Amazon is an ill-fitting piece of crap.

IMG_1506.jpg

I cut up an inner tube and hot glued three strips across the top of the motor, where it touches the downtube.

IMG_1507.jpg

Whatever shortcomings the Gravity DeadEye frame has, clearance for the BBSHD is not among them. Slid in like it was going home, and required no spacers for a near-perfect fit. So after a quick dry fit I got to work on the support ring and locking nut (using plenty of BLUE, not RED, Locktite to honor Thomas Jaszewski).

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

Snugged everything up as tight as I could, then added the aluminum cover and brake side pedal.

IMG_1511.jpg

Stock Bafang 46t chainring, and then another pedal.

IMG_1512.jpg

Check out the perfect clearance! Almost as if I'd planned this all out! No idea whose toes those are. Intruder, no doubt.

IMG_1513.jpg

That's not the rear wheel I'll ultimately be using, but the chain line seems pretty okay. The Sturmey Archer RS-RK3 should put the sprocket closer to the dropout, and improve the line, but it already looks pretty decent.

IMG_1514.jpg
IMG_1515.jpg

So now all there is to do is everything else! Off to Lowe's for some zip ties (could have sworn I had some around here...), then the Personal Hell of routing all the cables so it doesn't look like an Italian electrician's nightmare.

Updates as we progress, and thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Where did you buy your BBSHD from? I was looking at Luna BBS02 since it comes upgraded - not sure if the "Heavy Duty" is that critical but I do plan on some mountain biking.

Sorry. Missed that bit. I ordered from Luna. Their price was right, and they had all the bits I wanted. Besides, if you're joining the Bafang club it's probably a good idea to be Team Luna.

Sorry. Missed that bit. I ordered from Luna. Their price was right, and they had all the bits I wanted. Besides, if you're joining the Bafang club it's probably a good idea to be Team Luna.
They are driving distance for me. I think they just developed an inventory issue on the HD which may make the decision for me.

Here's where the build stands after the weekend: pretty much done with the motor and battery test configuration except for temporarily routing the wiring harness. I won't screw around with the 3-speed until my tire issue is sorted, and the battery is in a race against time with our 8/1 departure date for the beach.

E3F912CF-C8BA-4AD5-A4F5-006ACB7D51E8.jpeg

I've also found a likely front suspension fork that ticks all my weird boxes: 1 1/8" straight steerer, 9mm x 100mm QR, and takes a 27.5x3.0 tire. Anyone got an opinion on Manitou forks? I'm looking at a new old stock Machette Comp on sale @$280.

Back