18650 battery wiring diagram, basic series / parallel connection

Cody196

Will it work if its wired like this? Plan to use 12s 12p of 3.7v 5000mah for 48v 60ah total, is that all i need to do?

Attachments

• 18650 battery pack.jpg
    18650 battery pack.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 6,268
I ripped off a @George S. thread for this video link. Thank George if this helps! A lot goes into making a durable ebike battery. Slow motion playback would help.

batter.jpg
That diagram shows 24 batteries wired up to make an 8 volt battery. I'm not sure you have this figured out yet.

In general, 18650 based batteries put one cell in parallel with others to make a nominal 4.1 volt group. Then they connect as many groups in series as needed. Let's say you have 4 cells in parallel. That's 4P. Next,, if you put 10 of them in series to make a 36 volt battery, it is a 10S4P. Your configuration of 12 parallel and 12 series would be a 12S12P. I don't know that you get 60 AH out of it. That would require 5 AH per cell.

This sketch shows the general idea, showing 3 cells in a parallel group plus a battery management system (BMS) board. The BMS monitors the voltage on each parallel group.

View attachment 10292 That diagram shows 24 batteries wired up to make an 8 volt battery. I'm not sure you have this figured out yet.

In general, 18650 based batteries put one cell in parallel with others to make a nominal 4.1 volt group. Then they connect as many groups in series as needed. Let's say you have 4 cells in parallel. That's 4P. Next,, if you put 10 of them in series to make a 36 volt battery, it is a 10S4P. Your configuration of 12 parallel and 12 series would be a 12S12P. I don't know that you get 60 AH out of it. That would require 5 AH per cell.

This sketch shows the general idea, showing 3 cells in a parallel group plus a battery management system (BMS) board. The BMS monitors the voltage on each parallel group.
yeah i was looking at 5000mah 18650 batteries, idk tell me what you think.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

What do I think. In my opinion, you won't get close to 5000maH unless it's running a tiny LED flashlight for 100 hours . A motor will suck it empty fast. Also at $1.40 a battery, you're buying trouble and a possible fire down the road, as these weren't intended for heavy currents. They're for flashlights. Bike cell quality is much more expensive.

From a thread on endless-sphere. You want that in your garage? Not me.
file.php

Last edited:
What do I think. In my opinion, you won't get close to 5000maH unless it's running a tiny LED flashlight for 100 hours . A motor will suck it empty fast. Also at $1.40 a battery, you're buying trouble and a possible fire down the road, as these weren't intended for heavy currents. They're for flashlights. Bike cell quality is much more expensive.

From a thread on endless-sphere. You want that in your garage? Not me.
file.php
i live in a trailer park so no garages, all work is done inside, but appreciate the heads up, can you provide a link to some 18650 batteries that can handle more current, and how i can figure out which ones do and which ones don't so i dont set the house on fire

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

If its your first battery you might want to practice with a 48v 8 ah battery,spot welding 18650s is an art form-- which im not good at-- my first battery build had problems all the time and i just didnt think all the specialty work was something i was interested in doing-learning.

Back