17.5 A Battery, 840 watt hours - owner's experience?

phoenixtoohot

This battery is available from Ride1Up (for the 500 only) for $399 and has 9 reviews on their web site, generally favorable. I think it's been discounted by about $100 at times. If you have one, what's your experience with it ?

Last edited:
That battery is only for the 500 series bike. It's a good deal. That battery and its low price is one of the advantages I've listed before for the R1U 500.

That battery is only for the 500 series bike. It's a good deal. That battery and its low price is one of the advantages I've listed before for the R1U 500.
Yes, it's for the 500, on the website, all the specifics.

The original question by the OP was/is:

"If you have one, what's your experience with it ?"

You can't tell much about the battery from the website. To start you need to find out which cells they are using so you can decide if the price is even fair, and then if the capacity rating is in the ball park. LUNA sells a 52V 21Ah battery they are claiming is 1100Wh, but you can go to the manufacture's data sheet and many independent tests and find out it's capacity is really only a at most 840Wh, and since most ebike manufactures don't let you run the battery to empty you can expect it is less in real-word use. However; at least they list enough information about the battery that you can find the correct information. This is the real problem; because if you want to compare it to another battery you have to get the true specifications for the other battery, and most of the time that is very hard.

That said; for the price, I'm sure the deal is fine. It would be good to find out if the use one of the big 3 name brand cells though or something else.

Is that battery 840Wh, no, but then all the other manufactures are inflating their specs also; so knowing the cells you can at least say if it is better or worse than other 17.5Ah rated batteries.

You can't tell much about the battery from the website. To start you need to find out which cells they are using so you can decide if the price is even fair, and then if the capacity rating is in the ball park. LUNA sells a 52V 21Ah battery they are claiming is 1100Wh, but you can go to the manufacture's data sheet and many independent tests and find out it's capacity is really only a at most 840Wh, and since most ebike manufactures don't let you run the battery to empty you can expect it is less in real-word use. However; at least they list enough information about the battery that you can find the correct information. This is the real problem; because if you want to compare it to another battery you have to get the true specifications for the other battery, and most of the time that is very hard.

That said; for the price, I'm sure the deal is fine. It would be good to find out if the use one of the big 3 name brand cells though or something else.

Is that battery 840Wh, no, but then all the other manufactures are inflating their specs also; so knowing the cells you can at least say if it is better or worse than other 17.5Ah rated batteries.

Request was for experience from people who actually own the battery. I'll stick with the 9 reviews on the website, from owners, for now.

I posted this in another thread, but there is also a review of the battery at this link:

They just increased the price to $429. Kevin from Ride1Up was comparing what other companies are selling their batteries for, so he raised it.

Ride1Up Hiking Battery Price

Back