I spotted this bike while out tooling around early this past winter. Not sure if it was an E bike or F bike, the guy was so tight lipped about it, I just don't know. Maybe one of you guys can shed some light on it. I'll bet it's great in wet weather...
fishbike.png

I kicked this up to the top of the list with my f-bike photo. BTW that fish-bike sculpture is at the drive at a private home, near the mailbox:confused:. I enjoy reading about ebikes from around the world, especially local brands from smaller makers. Why should SS/IGG get all the press. Thanks @JayVee for posting your list, my list for the past year would consist of 2 ebikes, an e-zip (SLA, low end) and a kit bike (front hub).

In the 6 months I've been aware of (and rather obsessed with) eBikes, I've seen exactly... zero out and about. I did see a Specialized Turbo (red!) in my LBS where I purchased my Specialized bike, but that's it.

Something fishy about that J.R. :D

With little response to the thread, I was figuring maybe people don't see e-bikes at all in their neighborhoods, as PowerMe points out. I love hearing about other trends. The Euro market seems to be going towards Bosch systems, and stores are filled with them. But I find those bikes to be a bit boring (no differentiation between bikes). The U.S. market seems more open to a wide range of technologies and ideas.

I'll add some pics of the bikes I see most frequently later on today.

Maybe we don't see ebikes, maybe we see so few that we just don't notice when we pass one. Maybe we just don't care about this thread:eek:

I think it would be interesting to know what ebikes people see. I think it would also be interesting to know if people see any ebikes at all! Information ebike manufactures and dealers may find interesting. I realize it's purely anecdotal but interesting nonetheless. Maybe you can add a poll to your thread: Do you see e-bikes in your daily travels Yes or No. Or not!

PS Sorry to hear about the plane crash in your part of the world JayVee. Equivalent to a huge crash in a neighboring state here in the US. Must be big news where you live. Prayers for all...

Last Year Summer:
Father and two kids, dad had a Pedego Comfort Cruiser.
Later, older lady ridding a Pedego City. Very stealth with panniers. Battery light was the give away.
Forth of July: Pedego City near National Cathedral.

Last 2 Weeks:
Green Elf!
Older person passed me going the opposite direction. I noticed their speed first and then the down tube mounted battery. Could not identify the bike.
Passed by someone going my direction, they were a bit older, I just heard the motor. Kit bike. My speed was 15, I would guess they were at or just under 25 mph.

Pretty much all sightings occurred on the Capital Crescent Trail unless specified.

A friend of mine was looking at the ELF as commuter to go from Chevy Chase to DC. The deal breaker was parking. It does not fit in a bike rack. The plus is that it can use bike trails. In his use case, an ebike probably makes the most sense but is then limited to the warmer half of the year.

A friend of mine was looking at the ELF as commuter to go from Chevy Chase to DC. The deal breaker was parking. It does not fit in a bike rack. The plus is that it can use bike trails. In his use case, an ebike probably makes the most sense but is then limited to the warmer half of the year.

I've heard this about riding the ELF on trails before, is that fair? To put that large of a vehicle on a multi-use trail, I would think to use it at any speed you would have to be a trail bully. I'm just asking because I've wondered this since the first time I saw the ELF. If you can't get it to commuting speeds it's pointless and if you are a trail bully I don't think it would be for long before communities would ban them from bike lanes and trails. Dean, I'm not expecting you to answer for ELF's makers or owners, I was just wondering what others thought about this... Too big and slow for the car traffic and too big and fast for the trails and lanes. Where do you ride this elf?

Random wanderings and wonderings...:confused:

@J.R. Unfortunately, I don't think I can change this thread into a poll.

So, instead I'll talk about the little Swiss e-bike worker bee: the Flyer C8. It's one of the most popular bikes here with rental shops. It has a Panasonic mid-drive and is cheap to maintain. You see these all over the place. At local train stations, you can rent such a bike, although the price is quite high (~50 dollars per day). If you follow predesignated routes, there are "battery stations" (every 20 kms) where you can stop and exchange your used battery for a new one..
The business model is an excellent example of how the US could get EBikes into the public rental market. In the Austin TX area, the focus has been on these short distance, mostly downtown district, HEAVY 1 speed bikes (that no one would think of taking) that don't really make sense with our hills. What is clever is their use of a cell phone app to reserve and pay for 15minute blocks of rental. Combine that with the Flyer C8 and its battery swap stations and the tourism folks could really have something to market.

I've heard this about riding the ELF on trails before, is that fair? To put that large of a vehicle on a multi-use trail, I would think to use it at any speed you would have to be a trail bully. I'm just asking because I've wondered this since the first time I saw the ELF. If you can't get it to commuting speeds it's pointless and if you are a trail bully I don't think it would be for long before communities would ban them from bike lanes and trails. Dean, I'm not expecting you to answer for ELF's makers or owners, I was just wondering what others thought about this... Too big and slow for the car traffic and too big and fast for the trails and lanes. Where do you ride this elf?

Random wanderings and wonderings...:confused:
To large to park in a bike rack. Stands out like a soar thumb, not very stealth so people e take note. The trails were I live are already crazy with bikes going 25+ mph, little kids all over the place, people entering blindly from the sides. Everyone seems to make due and sometimes you have to go at walking speeds for a block or two. The elf I saw was not causing problems on the trail, during commuting hours there are few if any families bumbling around. More like a free way for bike, well until school lets out for summer. Regarding parking if there are too many, you might have to take it in your building or get creative. Where I see a lot of potential is during the colder half of the year up north, the trails are deserted accept for the most hard core bikers who could care less. This is where I think there is a lot of value as it protects from wind chill and freezing rain but lets you bike around.
Also, so models can hold two kids or small adults which is fun if you have kids or small adults around. It is not for everyone, but for some people it will fit a need. Also, it is priced extremely reasonably. I personally really like this concept and am talking to their sales team about delivery in fall, so I may be biased. They are 10 weeks out on delivery and growing so business seems good.

To large to park in a bike rack. Stands out like a soar thumb, not very stealth so people e take note. The trails were I live are already crazy with bikes going 25+ mph, little kids all over the place, people entering blindly from the sides. Everyone seems to make due and sometimes you have to go at walking speeds for a block or two. The elf I saw was not causing problems on the trail, during commuting hours there are few if any families bumbling around. More like a free way for bike, well until school lets out for summer. Regarding parking if there are too many, you might have to take it in your building or get creative. Where I see a lot of potential is during the colder half of the year up north, the trails are deserted accept for the most hard core bikers who could care less. This is where I think there is a lot of value as it protects from wind chill and freezing rain but lets you bike around.
Also, so models can hold two kids or small adults which is fun if you have kids or small adults around. It is not for everyone, but for some people it will fit a need. Also, it is priced extremely reasonably. I personally really like this concept and am talking to their sales team about delivery in fall, so I may be biased. They are 10 weeks out on delivery and growing so business seems good.

Nice! And I like the "freeway for bikes" very cool! And you're right, check out my avatar pic, that's a trail on my winter commute and I didn't see anyone that day... for sure. I like the idea of being able to dress different and being a little warmer in the cold. If you get one you have to let us know how it rides on the frozen stuff! It's a curiosity for sure, I've been waiting to hear more about them. Thanks Dean!

Have not seen a single one. You'd think in Silicon Valley (birth place of the Tesla) that they'd be more clued in around here. As far as I know, I'm the only one. I kind of like it. :D

Last edited:

Madison's biking season is very short. Elf could be a great addition to our lineup. Looking forward to your feedback.

I’m really curious as to what e-bikes you’ve seen on the streets near you lately. Since joining this forum, each time I see an e-bike, I make a note of it for fun. I also try to speak to the owners if possible, in order to get some feedback, as I'm looking to buy an e-bike after having had several medium term rentals.

Below are the bikes I’ve spotted this month. The general vicinity of the sightings is Geneva Switzerland, so you shouldn’t be surprised if you see a couple of names in there you’ve never heard of. For the less well known bikes I've provided some information on the type of drive, just to give a general point of reference.

Of all the bikes spotted, my favourite is the Riese & Muller Blue Label Cruiser. According to me, it's the classiest bike on the road by a mile, even if the technology is slightly outdated (Bosch classic drive). I've attached a picture for those who are curious.

Stromer ST2s seem to come in six-packs here. I saw 5 heading towards the UN building the other day. They were ridden by some nifty looking gents dressed in suits & ties. As a group they looked really cool except for one tiny little detail: all of them were using bike clips for their pants... Somehow, that just ruined the picture for me. So I think someone needs to create a startup to address that problem. :D

Here's the list of bikes spotted:

Cresta Giro - Bosch 2nd gen 350 watt mid-drive
Dolphin izip Express
Flyer C8, C10, C12
- Panasonic 250 watt mid-drive
Flyer Vollblut - Panasonic 500 watt hub drive
Moustache Friday 26 - Bosch 1st gen 250 watt mid-drive
Riese & Muller Blue Label Cruiser - Bosch 1st gen 350 watt mid-drive
Stockli ET 45 - Same bike as Eflow Nitro E3 but powered by a 500 watt GoSwiss drive
Specialized Turbo S
Stromer ST1
Stromer ST2
Watts Swing
- Dapu brushless 250 watt

So, what have you seen on the streets near you?

Just so strange.. Miami has terrific weather, yet I have not seen an electric bike once this year.. I guess in a tourist location like Miami Beach there might be a few.. Given that there are so many retirees in the area, with disposable income to burn, you'd think they would be buying eBikes to get around in the hot weather... Guess not.

I haven't seen a single fat bike, E-bike, or e-bike fatty. Get a lot of questions about my fatbike. Yes it's slower, yes its a workout to ride. Wonder what they're thinking now when I am PAS at 25-30 mph down the road

I haven't seen a single fat bike, E-bike, or e-bike fatty. Get a lot of questions about my fatbike. Yes it's slower, yes its a workout to ride. Wonder what they're thinking now when I am PAS at 25-30 mph down the road
I've never seen a fat bike in the wild! I did see what looked like fat bike tracks in the snow last winter, but it could have also been someone riding a MX MC on the bike trail. I'm looking forward to seeing some of these newly popularized off road bikes. I won't hold my breath to see the real rare bird; the fat-e-bike! When I do I'll flag them down for a couple mile swap!

I've seen a Pedego ebike, a Stromer ST1, a Stromer ST2, a Volton Alation, an HPC AWD (front and rear hub motors) ebike, and three or four kit ebikes. I've also seen a few cargo ebikes around San Francisco in the Mission, mostly Mundos and Xtracycles.

In all my years, I've probably seen less than 20 ebikes.

Just so strange.. Miami has terrific weather, yet I have not seen an electric bike once this year.. I guess in a tourist location like Miami Beach there might be a few.. Given that there are so many retirees in the area, with disposable income to burn, you'd think they would be buying eBikes to get around in the hot weather... Guess not.

Miami is probably the worst place in the world to own an ebike. First of all, it's too hot and humid for an ebike, and second, it rains a lot and there is often thunder and lighting, and cyclists cannot be out riding in those conditions, as their bikes are prime targets for lightning strikes. :D

I live in Georgia. Equally hot and humid. When it's not raining the e-bike creates a nice cool breeze. It's not til I am done riding I realize how hot it is. Same on my regular bike

HI croo'
I've put over 1,400 miles on my Optibike Pioneer Allroad over the last ten months here in the quiet corner of Connecticut aka the Northwest Corner.
In that time, I've seen exactly one eBike: the one I'm riding. Dunno' what that's all about.
The strange thing is that this area really lends itself to eBiking, or regular biking, for that matter. We have considerate cagers, smooth roads, and very little traffic. I commute to work by eBike and typically see way more cows than cars. I feel as though I've died and gone to heaven.
Believe it or not, in that time span I don't think I've seen more than 50 bikes period.
Allen

Back