Known Issues & Problems with Pedego Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Pedego as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Sometimes the soldering or connections are so small that it is easy for them to break or come loose, let us know what you find out.

I did have the pedal sense module and the electric motor fail on my Ridgerider. Those are big ticket items and I'm very glad that it happened while the bile was still under warranty.
Two little things: one of the wire connectors from the brake lever that shuts off the power when the brakes are applied kept on coming unplugged. I ended up wrapping the connection with electrical tape. The other was a cable rubbing on the bike frame and starting to wear down the paint. I solved that problem by sticking a piece of clear plastic Mac Tac on the frame, below the offending cable.

Help re-setting the trip meter. Following directions in the book, but having trouble. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

My front light stopped working a few days after I brought my Interceptor home. Dealer is an hour away so I will take it down there when I'm on my way somewhere else (San Francisco area).

Help re-setting the trip meter. Following directions in the book, but having trouble. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

What exact problem are you having? To reset trip meter (on my Interceptor anyway), press and hold Set to get into settings, then press Set to cycle through options. I think trip meter is first, but anyway, when you get there, press minus to reset it. Then press and hold Set to exit.

hth

Thanks Barbara, got it re-set using your directions. Suggest you phone ahead to your dealer on the light malfunction. My guy had to order wire and connectors.

Thanks, I did and they said just bring it in, so I'm hoping that means they have everything they think they will need in stock. But I'll call again before I take it in to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm at just over 900 miles on my Interceptor. I just noticed this week that the seat post has a tendency to "click" out of adjustment and angle the seat about thirty degrees to the right. Needless to say this is somewhat uncomfortable. After fruitless attempts to tighten locking nuts I finally disassembled the seat and post and found that a plastic gizmo had broken. So this looks like a warranty repair.

(7-14-17) Pedego Has Recently RESOLVED The FAULTY ISSUE of the LCD "Trip" Mode on the Display Automatically Resetting to 000.0 After 5 Mins when it "Times Out",...or (Shuts Off )....Which it's NOT Supposed to Do. When Powering The LCD on again,...it Should've KEPT THE CORRECT "TRIP MILEAGE" IN MEMORY ON THE DISPLAY. After A Few Attempts of Trying to Resolve this Issue,...The Engineer & Tech People Met with the Manufacturers Overseas & as of the Date of this Post,...HAVE FIXED THE ISSUE !! ....Thankyou PEDEGO,...It Was a Pleasure Communicating Back & Forth on This Issue & Seeing it Thru to its Successful Conclusion !!! All Owners Who Experience This Random & Problematic Issue Should Contact PEDEGO CORP., 1-800-646-8604....(Ext 2, Tech Dept)......Pedego Really stands behind Their Amazing E-Bikes !!!! 200% CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EXCELLENT !!!

Sometimes the soldering or connections are so small that it is easy for them to break or come loose, let us know what you find out.
Oh Yes,...One "Bare Wire" Connection on My Best Friends 26" City Commuter Came Loose @ The Connector Clip to the Headlight...We Will Attempt to Solder it Back on Complete with "Heat Shrink Tubing"...Compliments of PEDEGO !!

We own 2 City Commuters, and find them wonderful bikes overall to use, but quite costly on maintenance, especially at dealership. The main weakness of Pedego bikes is the exposed and easily damaged wiring, which is expensive to replace. The electrical wires (I know of 6 different ones, because they broke at some point) cost between $40 and $60 apiece, and because they are exposed, they are easily damaged, especially at the connection level. Add dealership labor--according to them they are hard to replace, and Scooteretti asks for $73/hour labour, and replacement fees run in the $100 range per damaged wire, parts and labor. Figures in are in Can$

Computers are a bit unreliable too. over 8000 km, I am at my third computer on my bike.

My wife and I bought Pedego City Commuter Classic bikes in early 2014; they are 2013 models rated at 48V, 15AH. They have been fun to ride but we have had issues. I had to have my handlebars replaced within the first year because they wouldn't stay firmly in place. This was done under warranty. We have found that the bikes sometimes derail when hitting potholes. One time my sensor got knocked out of position when I hit a pothole, disabling the pedal assist feature; it had to go to a dealer to be repaired, at my cost. My wife's computer failed when the bike was about 2 and half years old and had to be changed out at her cost. My entire power system failed a few weeks ago and now it is in the shop being diagnosed. The batteries have lost some of their power. Pedego says on their website that the batteries are supposed to last 2-4 years. I got a quote from a Pedego dealer for a replacement battery at $1,095. I have been checking on battery replacement costs for other brands and after 4 quotes from other brands I saw a range of $499 (Emazing) to $780 (Kalkhoff). So $1,095 for a new battery is high. Also, an Electra rep stated to me in an e-mail that the Bosch battery their Townie Go! uses will work at optimum capacity for 5,000 charges, which Bosch states is typically 8-9 years. The Electra/Bosch replacement battery is $750. While Pedego offered a good bang for the buck in early 2014, they would not be my first choice for a new bike in 2017.

This isn't really a problem with the bikes...

I recently replaced my tires and tubes on my Interceptor. When reinstalling the rear wheel I made the serious mistake of using the little adjustable wrench in the awful little toolkit to retighten the wheel nuts. Well, that little wrench didn't let me use sufficient torque to adequately tighten the wheel nut. During a short test ride the wheel slipped, and while it did not come off I managed to knock both the rear disc brake and the derailleur out of adjustment.

So now I carry a full-size 18mm wrench in my toolkit so I can adequately tighten those rear wheel nuts.

19mm is probably more accurate. My hardware store sold me an '3/4" - 18mm' wrench which fit the lug nut when I tried it. I haven't measured the nut with calipers but I suspect, again, that 19mm is more accurate.

PEDEGO CITY COMMUTER / "Pearlescent Blue" / Matching Paint is Tough & Existing Touchup Paint is Aweful !!...Purchased This @ Auto Zone & it's The Closest I Could Find !!?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 1,654
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 1,636
2cd Best 28" Tire Replacement for My City Commuter..."Schalbe Energizer Plus", $32. Each !! Flat Resistance is Second Best in their Line Of Tires, But So Far So Good !!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,058
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 948
Back