Known Issues & Problems with Pedego Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I have a similar issue with my Pedego Ridgerider. The motor's output, regardless of gear, seems to be linked to a specific speed in each level. In comparison, I ride with a couple of people who own Specialized Vados and they can easily hit their motor cut-off speed (32 kph) in every level. I can't do that with my Ridgerider.

I have three 2018 Platinum Interceptors and none exhibit the symptoms you describe. Pedego also replaced 2 of the original controllers which failed in 2018. Again, none have your symptoms.

I would contact Pedego tech support directly and ask about this issue. https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/contact/
They will respond promptly with an answer.

So far I'm not impressed with the quality of my Ridgerider. In 1000 miles I've already had the motor and torque sensor replaced. Thankfully, both were replaced under warranty.
I plan on selling my Ridgerider this Spring and buying something else (not at Pedego).

I have a similar issue with my Pedego Ridgerider. The motor's output, regardless of gear, seems to be linked to a specific speed in each level. In comparison, I ride with a couple of people who own Specialized Vados and they can easily hit their motor cut-off speed (32 kph) in every level. I can't do that with my Ridgerider.

One difference I see is no cadence mode for the Ridge Rider: FREE RIDE MODE (NO POWER), FIVE LEVELS OF PEDAL ASSIST WITH THROTTLE OVERRIDE, AND THROTTLE ONLY MODE.

Platinum Interceptor: FREE RIDE MODE (NO POWER), FIVE LEVELS OF PEDAL ASSIST WITH THROTTLE OVERRIDE AND TORQUE OR CADENCE MODE, AND THROTTLE ONLY MODE.

I'm very happy with my bike but I haven't ridden a Ridge Rider, so I don't know if I would like it or not.

I do understand disappointment in a purchase, I haven't bought a Ford product since 1979.

My City Commuter is a 2018 and I had a wire loom failure at 400 miles (replaced under warranty, and really quick turn around!) and I found a broken spoke on the rear wheel-also fixed under warranty with a quick turn-around. Other than those 2 issues its been a little tank. Now at a wimpy 700 miles.

Pretty sure they changed the controller after 2014. I had (sold) a 2017 Platinum Interceptor had none of the issues you describe. Try a Specialized unless you need a throttle or a Rad City if you do.

I noticed the same thing. I had a 2014 City Commuter with frame cracks on tube that supported the battery assembly. I did not notice cracks in frame until Controller died and moved my bags to check wiring leading to battery. Everything is new except for front and back wheel assembly and batteries. I had to pay a couple of hours of labor to swap out the wheels. Lifetime warranty on frame kicked in on a 6 year old bike. I have had numerous items fixed on bicycle under warranty. Shifter, handle bar stem, controller have been replaced. I am also happy with my local store after switching coasts. I have not ridden any other e-bikes, but have put on 5000k on this one. Most of those miles were commuting for 3 years. My bike was getting a light touch for last two years. Now my kids are zooming all over the place that they are big enough to ride it.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Pedego as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.
Purchased a Pedago Interceptor a year ago. The first problem with the bike occurred about a month after purchase when the logic board and display were replaced. The next problem was intermittent problems with the wire connectors which the dealer corrected after being informed by Pedago that the problem was occurring on many bikes. The third problem was with the cadence sensor which had to be replaced. At present there is a problem with the peddle assist not reengaging on demand. The dealer has contacted Pedago but as yet no response. While all the repairs have been under warrantee it has been a very unsatisfactory experience. My significant other has a Trek with 5000 Km on it with absolutely no problems.

Platinum Interceptor, down-shift lever has to be pumped a few times to function after sitting overnight. Is it hydraulic?

Platinum Interceptor, down-shift lever has to be pumped a few times to function after sitting overnight. Is it hydraulic?
No, the shift mechanism is cable actuated, not hydraulic. Chances are, your derailleur is out of adjustment or the cable needs lubrication.

So far I'm not impressed with the quality of my Ridgerider. In 1000 miles I've already had the motor and torque sensor replaced. Thankfully, both were replaced under warranty.
I plan on selling my Ridgerider this Spring and buying something else (not at Pedego).
I’m basically in the same place. I bought a 2019 Trail Tracker in early 2020 and a year later the control panel/motor has failed, rendering it a brick. Currently it’s in the shop being repaired for the third time for this issue but it’s a major hassle considering I also had to have the accelerator wires replaced due to a recall. So far the shop hasn’t charged me for any labor and the parts are all covered warranty but I bought it to replace the need for a car. Seems like they skimp out on quality control just to push bikes out as much as possible and like others have said I purchased one because the shop was local.

What brand are you considering and do they have a dealer network? I’m just starting out and considering an ebike purchase. Any recommendations?

I bought a Pedego Interceptor last year in Florida for my vacation home. It has left me stranded several times, just dying, no rhyme or reason. Embarrassing riding with others with less expensive ebikes working just fine. I took it the dealer and they kept it for over a week and could not reproduce the problem. I only have 213 miles on it. Can't trust it, and don't know what to do? I have contacted the dealer and asked to speak to owner/manager and awaiting a call back. Its sucks as I only come to Florida for a short while and have to deal with this!
Hi @homerd74, I am sorry to hear you are having that issue!
Please do not hesitate to call our Tech Department @ 1-800-646-8604 to assist in diagnosing the issues you are experiencing. We want to make sure you are delighted with your bike!

I changed a flat rear tire to my Element recently, and when I powered it up, the display read "Error 6". The bike would do nothing. I looked online at a 36 second video about error readings and it basically said, "Take the bike to your nearest authorized Pedego dealer." "The heck with that noise", I said.

I tried the connections, specifically to the motor and display, unhooking them and hooking them back up. The error display was not there when initially turned back on but reappeared after a few seconds, so I said, "What the heck- I'll just try removing and reinstalling the back wheel". Voila! The bike ran fine after that.

Yesterday I experienced a similar problem ascending a half mile hill, twice at the same place! The first time, the bike just stopped at the apex of the hill, and an error 6 lit up on the display. I turned the power off, then back on, the error reading disappeared, and I experienced no further problems on a 10-mile round trip.

Then on another ride later in the day, the bike stopped working at the same place on the hill. The display, this time, read no error, the motor just would not respond. As I thought I may have heard a grinding noise coming from the area of the motor, I pushed the bike to a nearby shade tree for inspection. I felt the motor and it was not hot or warm to touch. I powered the bike back up and ascended the hill several times at different speeds and settings, but could not recreate the problem. It again ran fine on about a 20-mile trip.

Sometimes glitches happen, the cause is the Ghost in the Machine which need to be exorcised.

I will say one thing about Pedego's online services: My wife's Element had a faulty battery connector, Sean was very courteous and helpful and sent me a successful replacement in a timely manner.

Last edited:
I changed a flat rear tire to my Element recently, and when I powered it up, the display read "Error 6". The bike would do nothing. I looked online at a 36 second video about error readings and it basically said, "Take the bike to your nearest authorized Pedego dealer." "The heck with that noise", I said.

I tried the connections, specifically to the motor and display, unhooking them and hooking them back up. The error display was not there when initially turned back on but reappeared after a few seconds, so I said, "What the heck- I'll just try removing and reinstalling the back wheel". Voila! The bike ran fine after that.

Yesterday I experienced a similar problem ascending a half mile hill, twice at the same place! The first time, the bike just stopped at the apex of the hill, and an error 6 lit up on the display. I turned the power off, then back on, the error reading disappeared, and I experienced no further problems on a 10-mile round trip.

Then on another ride later in the day, the bike stopped working at the same place on the hill. The display, this time, read no error, the motor just would not respond. As I thought I may have heard a grinding noise coming from the area of the motor, I pushed the bike to a nearby shade tree for inspection. I felt the motor and it was not hot or warm to touch. I powered the bike back up and ascended the hill several times at different speeds and settings, but could not recreate the problem. It again ran fine on about a 20-mile trip.

Sometimes glitches happen, the cause is the Ghost in the Machine which need to be exorcised.

I will say one thing about Pedego's online services: My wife's Element had a faulty battery connector, Sean was very courteous and helpful and sent me a successful replacement in a timely manner.

Why not have the dealer look at it. I’m sure they will fix it.

Why not have the dealer look at it. I’m sure they will fix it.

Thank you for the advice, msnow, but extenuating circumstances cause me to hesitate.

If the problem becomes chronic, I will get the dealer involved. In the meantime, I'm learning from the bike's problems and idiosyncrasies.

I have informed the Pedego online help services of the problem, so we have a point of reference from which to work.

I cleared an error 6 code on one of my Platinum Interceptors by cleaning and reseating the motor connector located on the chainstay. I used alcohol and a blow drier to clean the male & female contacts and then gently burnished them with a small jewelers file. in my case, this solved the issue.

Thanks for your post, @6zfshdb! Good to know!

I believe I found the cause of my error 6 reading after noting the derailleur out of adjustment.

I followed the procedure for readjusting, it worked fine on the stand, but not so on a hill and the error message came back on. I noted the derailleur mounting screw was loose and the rear set screw was out of adjustment. I remedied those situations, readjusted the derailleur, and the bike runs like a dream.

I noted the derailleur mounting screw was loose and the rear set screw was out of adjustment.
Yesterday, on a ride in a river town with my wife Belinda, I began experiencing the same problems with the derailleur, slipping off the largest cog and not shifting into the smallest. The problem was that the rear set screw had slipped due to the hole being stripped.

We were about 3 miles into our ride and decided to go back when we happened upon a little country store. I told Belinda that maybe I could do a fix with some super glue. Martha the store clerk said they were out of super glue but gave me, at no charge, an opened tube that they had been using around the store. I did the fix, returned the super glue to Martha with my heart-felt thanks, purchased some snacks, and gave her a tip.

While snacking outside of the store, a Harley rider named Kevin pulled over on his '76 750 to ask about our e-bikes. We had a nice long chat about e-bikes, motorcycles, and this & that.

Belinda and I got back on the bike trail and had to avoid two places where the river covered it for short stretches. We rode to an old lodge built in the early 1900's and had a lunch of fish sandwiches.

The fix held, the bike performed beautifully, even on several hills where the trail went up into the bluffs, and we had a good day!

Rear wheel changing tire on 24" Interceptor, you have to take the rear disk brake caliper off to remove the wheel = piss poor design.

Back