Known Issues & Problems with Pedego Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I have a recurring issue with my City Commuter. My local Pedego shop has been awesome in trying to fix it for me. They have kept me rolling so far, but I'd really like to figure out the issue and put it to bed.
Specs: 2021 step through frame
28" wheels
500w hub motor
52v battery (came with the 48v, but was replaced after first failure)
~52 mile round-trip commute, twice a week. Sometimes 3 times a week.

1st time with the issue: In May, I was riding along, the display went blank and the motor quit. Total power loss.
I pulled out the battery and then re-seated it. Everything fired up and I headed toward the shop.
It cut out 4 or 5 times on that 10 mile ride.
The mechanic switched out several cables, and the controller. No luck.
Switched out the battery. I purchased the new, 52v battery at that point. It ran great.

2nd time: July. Same issue. Blank display - no power. (I think this is when I started noticing an 04 error flash up, just before it went blank.)
New pedal sensor and Jolet cables and throttle cable. I think the controller got switched out again, if I remember correctly. Battery swap fixed it.

3rd time: September. Same issue. 04 error flashes up - display goes blank - no power.
Battery swap. Fixed.

Current situation (started in November): Same issue. 04 error - Blank display - no power.
I took it for a ride after a battery swap out and never took the PAS above 3. Same issue.
Tried riding to work this morning and it would cut out about every half mile.
Pedego mechanic is swapping out the controller.

I think we are all going to pull our hair out over this.

I had a broken wire in the loom. My Pedego dealer replaced the whole main wire loom. I noted it in this Pedego section/known issues somewhere. Thread tilled: My City Commuter just shut down.

Same issue with my three Platinum Interceptors that use the same battery as the City Commuter. The problem is the contacts inside the battery. They can overheat and loose their spring tension. This causes a low voltage condition which triggers the 04 error code and the controller shuts down.

I prevent the problem by occasionally cleaning the battery contacts with dielectric solvent and a mild abrasive file. I have also replaced the contacts on two batteries so far.

Pedego knows about this problem and has redesigned the contacts on their newer batteries.

I carry a small file with me when I ride in case the problem reoccurs but I haven't had to use it so far.

Back