Known Issues & Problems with Easy Motion Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Easy Motion as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I took delivery of a 2015 Emotion Evo Jet yesterday. The bike was put together without issue. Hydraulic disc on bikes are a new to me but piece of cake compared to cars I've worked on. So upon completion I took it for a quick test ride to see if any final adjustments were needed. The street in front of my apartment is flat with a nice long hill to test the bike's power. Unfortunately testing had to be cut short because I felt the rear hop with every rotation. I looked down at the rear wheel and thought it was out of true and maybe it just needed the spokes tightened. Unfortunately when I saw it in the light, I notice a flat spot on the rim. The flat spot spans across 4 spokes. Googling a fix and I didn't see a way to safely straighten an aluminum wheel without stressing the metal. BTW The front wheel is perfectly fine. It's just the rear. Overall the bike is in great condition. Even the box appears to be fine. I contacted the dealer online with my concern and they got right back to me. They're forwarding the info to their product rep. Now I'm waiting to hear from BH to see how they're going to handle this warranty claim.

I took delivery of a 2015 Emotion Evo Jet yesterday. The bike was put together without issue. Hydraulic disc on bikes are a new to me but piece of cake compared to cars I've worked on. So upon completion I took it for a quick test ride to see if any final adjustments were needed. The street in front of my apartment is flat with a nice long hill to test the bike's power. Unfortunately testing had to be cut short because I felt the rear hop with every rotation. I looked down at the rear wheel and thought it was out of true and maybe it just needed the spokes tightened. Unfortunately when I saw it in the light, I notice a flat spot on the rim. The flat spot spans across 4 spokes. Googling a fix and I didn't see a way to safely straighten an aluminum wheel without stressing the metal. BTW The front wheel is perfectly fine. It's just the rear. Overall the bike is in great condition. Even the box appears to be fine. I contacted the dealer online with my concern and they got right back to me. They're forwarding the info to their product rep. Now I'm waiting to hear from BH to see how they're going to handle this warranty claim.

I recall that BH typically replaces the entire rear wheel...at least when there is an issue with the motor itself. Perhaps if the spokes are still usable they'll cover shop costs for re-spoking the motor into a new rim - the key would be the spokes, as it is more difficult to locate correct length spokes for an ebike due to the hub motor sizing. Good luck!

I've only had one warranty issue in the 1-1/2 years I've owned my Evo 29er. At ~9 months my controller blew, it was a Sunday. I called my dealer that day, he had the head of Easy Motion tech support call me the next day and by the following Saturday I had a new controller from the west coast to the east coast and was up and running. 6 days, very fast resolution. I hope yours goes as well.

The dealer got an email from BH saying that I'm getting a replacement wheel to swap in. Not sure if it will come directly to me or if there will go to the dealer first (they're 1000+ miles away). Hopefully they skipped the middle man. I haven't received any calls or emails directly from any BH tech rep (and I called them and left a message). I notified them on Tuesday so if I don't hear from anyone in a week or so, I'll give them a tickle.

In the meantime, I'll just order parts from Amazon/eBay to customize the ride. This Evo Jet medium runs pretty big (and I'm 5'10" so my 5'7" girlfriend would find it too stretched). IMO for comfort it needs a wider suspension seat, shorter stem, stem riser. Maybe swept back bars. For safety rear LED lights, bell, flashlight mount.

So BH shipped the wheel in directly to me this Tuesday (1 week from when I reported the problem to the dealer). Unfortunately, it was just the wheel, so I had to swap out the disc, tube, tire, liner, and cassette. I could do everything myself but the cassette. BTW the rear hub wheel is a f%$ing b$!ch to get out if you're not familiar with it. I didn't realize the frame pinches the wheel and you have to kinda spread it apart. This would be a PITA to fix a flat on the side of the road. So I drove to the LBS to get the cassette swapped. Easy, right? Nope. The axle is too long for a standard tool to fit over. I tried another LBS and same problem. I had to take it to a ebike specific shop. Finally got home and got it installed. I think it took close to 3 hours with all the driving. Definitely not as simple as a quick release, but future wheel removals should be much easier. Better to figure this out under non-stress situations.

Now that it's fixed it rides VERY nicely. I hope to do some long rides to see what my real world range is.
I have the wheel size set to 27 for my 700c x 38 tires. I'm seeing speeds of 30-31MPH with active pedaling! Can that be right? I'll download Strava to confirm.

So BH shipped the wheel in directly to me this Tuesday (1 week from when I reported the problem to the dealer). Unfortunately, it was just the wheel, so I had to swap out the disc, tube, tire, liner, and cassette. I could do everything myself but the cassette. BTW the rear hub wheel is a f%$ing b$!ch to get out if you're not familiar with it. I didn't realize the frame pinches the wheel and you have to kinda spread it apart. This would be a PITA to fix a flat on the side of the road. So I drove to the LBS to get the cassette swapped. Easy, right? Nope. The axle is too long for a standard tool to fit over. I tried another LBS and same problem. I had to take it to a ebike specific shop. Finally got home and got it installed. I think it took close to 3 hours with all the driving. Definitely not as simple as a quick release, but future wheel removals should be much easier. Better to figure this out under non-stress situations.

Now that it's fixed it rides VERY nicely. I hope to do some long rides to see what my real world range is.
I have the wheel size set to 27 for my 700c x 38 tires. I'm seeing speeds of 30-31MPH with active pedaling! Can that be right? I'll download Strava to confirm.

Removing the rear wheel is quite easy. Take a look at this video.

Removing the rear wheel is quite easy. Take a look at this video.

Thanks Ravi. I did watch that beforehand and followed all the recommended steps. The rear wheel definitely did not come off with just a tug. It was unusually tight. I'm wondering now if there was some frame bending related to the flattened rear wheel.

Glad you got it all sorted and are enjoying the bike.

My Evo 29er frame does not pinch the wheel, requiring spreading to remove the wheel. It's easier to remove the wheel with the bike upside down. I spin the bike to the best position in a work stand, but you can turn the bike upside down on the ground. Just be careful of the components on the handlebars.

I don't know what gear cluster is on your bike, I have Shimano XT components on the 29er and I use Pedro's Shimano HG bicycle cassette socket. Takes a 1/2 inch rachet inside or open end wrench on the outside and does fit over the axle. Any decent bike shop should have one, standard bike tool, not ebike specific. $12.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...tte+Socket&dpPl=1&dpID=316VgcoCuVL&ref=plSrch

Screenshot_20170510-180140.jpg

I remove my 2015 29er wheel the same way as J.R., but I flip my bike on it's handle bars onto an old couch cushion (remove the display!), add wooden blocks at the very ends of the grips near the locker rings. Flip the rear derailleur to the smallest sprocket, then undo the axle ratchet bolts entirely (this model year had those), unclip the wire and unplug it, then just slap the top of the wheel sideways to loosen it from the dropouts, and lift it out. No need to remove the torque arm, and playing with it is downright dangerous imo.

The cassette is removed with an open type cassette tool like above, and chain whip.

cassette_tool.jpg

Hey Tony- FYI-I think 700c tires are 28 inches and not 27 inches.. See below:

Full-sized tubulars fit rims of the same diameter as 622 mm (700c) clinchers. This size is sometimes referred to as "28 inch" or "700". It is also, confusingly, sometimes referred to as "27 inch." The "27 inch" designation is inaccurate and obsolete, but you'll sometimes run into it in older printed material.

Hey Tony- FYI-I think 700c tires are 28 inches and not 27 inches.. See below:

Full-sized tubulars fit rims of the same diameter as 622 mm (700c) clinchers. This size is sometimes referred to as "28 inch" or "700". It is also, confusingly, sometimes referred to as "27 inch." The "27 inch" designation is inaccurate and obsolete, but you'll sometimes run into it in older printed material.

Thanks Bob. I tried that on the computer but unfortunately the readings are still wrong. I will have to contact the seller or manufacturer about this. Not sure what the deal is.

Thanks Bob. I tried that on the computer but unfortunately the readings are still wrong. I will have to contact the seller or manufacturer about this. Not sure what the deal is.

Tony-That's strange. My Evo Jet has the same size tires and I have it set to size 28 on the computer. I also verified MPH with my GPS and it is doing the correct calculations. I do notice however, that my 'miles to go' reading does not match the odometer start and end numbers. Tricky computer.
BH has great C/S. Good Luck!

@Brooklyn Tony : Just set the display on which ever tire size matches real world distances. On my older 29er, the setting to match real world distance and speed is between 26,5" and 27", where 26" is -0,26km over 12km and 27" is +0,24 over 12km, 12km being my plotted daily route one way.

BH should add the option to input actual wheel circumference, like proper cycle computers.

Quick general tip: Hearing annoying frame creaking, snapping or cracking sounds when going over bumps? Clean and lube the seatpost and QR clamp. Applies to all bikes really, but these e-bikes have such custom frames that your first instinct might be to poke around in the "odd" spots first like the battery mounts, which can creak too.

Last edited:
Hi Guys
one months ago i brought a BH EVO CROSS 2017bike started off great then now surges and have to turn off and back on at least 8 times on a 19 km ride.
great start to me getting into biking do all BH's suck ?
my local bike shop said not to bring into next year and cant say what is wrong any tips ?
Thanks

Hello Tony- Just curious if you got all of the kinks worked out of your Evo Jet?? Ride safe

I need to replace the computor on my 2017 Evo Pro 27.5 ,it’s the new portrait style ie 3” high 2” wide .
It is not available in New Zealand , any suggestion on where to go ? Cheers Gil

I need to replace the computor on my 2017 Evo Pro 27.5 ,it’s the new portrait style ie 3” high 2” wide .
It is not available in New Zealand , any suggestion on where to go ? Cheers Gil
Hello Gil.

If the display needs to be replaced on a 2017, isn't it still covered under warranty? I don't know if a US dealer will ship a North American spec part to NZ, but this dealer has carried BH bikes, parts and accessories for many years here in the US. It can't hurt to ask.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

You could possibly help the knowledge base here on the forum by listing why the display needs replacing. Good luck.

Back