$10,000.00?

People that cannot live without a car need to move somewhere else.
Last year we finalized plans for no longer using motor vehicles. No set date to implement the relocation, but we added a Family Memorial Bench so family and friends can be comfortable while visiting.

Until then, we will continue to enjoy traveling across the country; but will take bikes with us.

You're all fuckiń delusional!
It doesn't cost anywhere near $10k to produce any bicycle.
It cost that much because people are willing to spend. Period.
Every post that I read said this. Who is saying that it takes all of $10k to product a bike?

The noise & exhaust smell were present for a half mile or so as he pulled away.

I was under the impression that the Honda EU1000i gas generator was a Very quiet, and Very clean running, low emission generator.

As far as I understand it, a proper muffler can make a 4 stroke engine almost silent. (at the expense of some HP)

I remember being at a lake camping with my brother-in-law.
We went down to the dock area where a guy had his boat with a Big Honda 4 stroke outboard motor on it.

I was standing on the dock, about 15 feet from the motor and I couldn't hear anything. I thought the motor was off, then he said it was idling.
I couldn't believe it !!
I couldn't hear it at all.

I can't help it.
I want one of those Honda generators.
I have no use for it except for when the power goes out, but that never happens for long enough to justify the purchase.

I'd have to invent reasons to use it, like building a Hybrid Honda powered ebike.
The generator is "only" $1,300 CAD, plus maybe a Surly one wheeled trailer to put it in, or a half decent ebike, maybe a cargo ebike so I can install the 30 pound generator low, between the wheels, and the Grin Satiator. The list of fun stuff to buy to go with the generator is endless. 😂

Every post that I read said this. Who is saying that it takes all of $10k to product a bike?
Some are saying that you need to spend to get quality which is true to a certain extent... but not anywhere near what we're paying.
Cost on the more expensive bikes is mostly market driven and value drops as the price goes up.
Not saying that you shouldn't... But I'm not deluded that when I do that I'm better than others.

I have the predecessor of the eu1000i, the 750 W version, as well as the eu2000i and they are indeed quiet. I used to use them while camping, and now keep them around for power outages. I used to use the eu2000i in the bed of my pickup to run power tools but now, most of my tools are cordless.

The only reason I heard the generator on the ebike was, the trail is in a deep, narrow river gorge and the sound echoed off the walls, down the quiet, still valley. Not all that bad really, just unusual in that location.

That sounds like something out of Mc Gyver.
A single wheel topeak bike trailer and your 5 amp charger plug in to it?
I Can go round the Island if im feeling the need to escape my lovely neighbourhood. 😍 I have generator which I haven't seen in months my nephew barrowed it and hasn't returned it.
They are very quiet. I can't hear it unless im standing directly next to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231220_190725_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231220_190725_Photos.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231220_180349.jpg
    20231220_180349.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 16
Come on brah! @Gionnirocket your as delusional as the rest of us.
Your bike with rholsof and full suspension, a bike not available to purchase yet but you have it.
Don't down play it. You probably paid $7k for that.
If I want a motorcycle I will buy one.
I bought this used Fatboy in 2017. Rode it around for year half and dropped it while intoxicated at a stop light and couldn't pick it upright. Police came and I got my 1st Dui.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231123_223332_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231123_223332_Photos.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20231123_231335_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231123_231335_Photos.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 21
Your bike with rholsof and full suspension, a bike not available to purchase yet but you have it.
I bought this used Fatboy in 2017. Rode it around for year half and dropped it while intoxicated at a stop light and couldn't pick it upright. Police came and I got my 1st Dui.
Yeah, that would do it. Sorry about the "Dropping Under the Influence" but I understand exactly how that could happen, particularly while drunk-- and the weight of motorcycles is something that I've always found really off-putting. Sounds like the kind of mistake you are unlikely to repeat!

One night in the late '80s, my buddy parked his Yamaha 750 on the wrong side of the street for alternate-side-of-the-street parking in NYC. We got back to his place from a club at 2:00 AM, and we both were hammered, but-- and this was unusual-- he was way more hammered than I was, and could not ride his bike from one side of the street to the other. And at 7:00 AM, his bike would be towed.

Our brilliant solution to this problem-- since he'd had 10 drinks and I'd had six or whatever-- was for me, who had never operated a motorcycle before in my life, to drive the bike across the street from one side to the other while he ran alongside me and tried to help me keep my balance.

I did succeed, did not get a DUI, and did not dump the bike. But I almost did, in the middle of 72nd street, when I eased off the throttle, or squeezed the clutch (I don't remember which), and lost momentum. I remember just how heavy that bike felt as it leaned to the left, and thinking it would probably fall right on my foot. I somehow got a little more power to the drivetrain, the bike righted itself, and then I engaged the clutch again, coasted across the rest of the way across the street between two cars, where I somehow dropped the kickstand just as the front wheel bounced gently off the curb.

I might be able to justify a third bike-- something like the Vado SL-- if I knew the suspension was good enough so I'd feel safe with it on these bad roads, and that I could ride it when I'm 75. It is weird, when I glanced at the title of this thread, my first thought was that it would be ridiculous to spend ten large on a third bike. But when I think of all my other obsessions, I'm actually MORE likely to spend between 5 and 10K on a bike than I am to spend the same amount on any of my other hobbies or interests.

But part of the reason I'm liking the Marin more and more for running diddly little errands around town is that I want to drive my cars less, and the reason I want to drive my cars less is partly because I like the cars I have so much and don't want to buy another. Part of the reason I don't is because I don't want to put that much carbon into the air, I don't want to fill up more landfill, I don't want to support an industry we should be (gradually, eventually) phasing out. And, given that I'm driving both cars less and less each year? I see no reason not to enjoy the hell out of them when I'm behind the wheel. And keep them nice looking and in good shape.

I did stop collecting guitars because they take up too much room, and I can't keep them all strung and intonated. I probably have 12 guitars-- no, I don't know exactly how many I have-- but I bought them to use them, not just to own them, and I estimate that each of them has been played at least 50 times. I don't covet a high-end Martin or Gibson, either acoustic or electric. I don't need them. I can record a good enough track and play a good enough show with what I've got. I'm just not that... subtle. (Some of my friends really are, and more power to them.) Having work done on a Martin or Gibson (particularly acoustics) can be like working on a Lotus... crazy expensive sometimes, depending on the job. A complete fret job costs the same on any guitar, but a cracked soundboard or bridge that's separating... I don't need the headache.

Yeah, that would do it. Sorry about the "Dropping Under the Influence" but I understand exactly how that could happen, particularly while drunk-- and the weight of motorcycles is something that I've always found really off-putting. Sounds like the kind of mistake you are unlikely to repeat!

One night in the late '80s, my buddy parked his Yamaha 750 on the wrong side of the street for alternate-side-of-the-street parking in NYC. We got back to his place from a club at 2:00 AM, and we both were hammered, but-- and this was unusual-- he was way more hammered than I was, and could not ride his bike from one side of the street to the other. And at 7:00 AM, his bike would be towed.

Our brilliant solution to this problem-- since he'd had 10 drinks and I'd had six or whatever-- was for me, who had never operated a motorcycle before in my life, to drive the bike across the street from one side to the other while he ran alongside me and tried to help me keep my balance.

I did succeed, did not get a DUI, and did not dump the bike. But I almost did, in the middle of 72nd street, when I eased off the throttle, or squeezed the clutch (I don't remember which), and lost momentum. I remember just how heavy that bike felt as it leaned to the left, and thinking it would probably fall right on my foot. I somehow got a little more power to the drivetrain, the bike righted itself, and then I engaged the clutch again, coasted across the rest of the way across the street between two cars, where I somehow dropped the kickstand just as the front wheel bounced gently off the curb.

I might be able to justify a third bike-- something like the Vado SL-- if I knew the suspension was good enough so I'd feel safe with it on these bad roads, and that I could ride it when I'm 75. It is weird, when I glanced at the title of this thread, my first thought was that it would be ridiculous to spend ten large on a third bike. But when I think of all my other obsessions, I'm actually MORE likely to spend between 5 and 10K on a bike than I am to spend the same amount on any of my other hobbies or interests.

But part of the reason I'm liking the Marin more and more for running diddly little errands around town is that I want to drive my cars less, and the reason I want to drive my cars less is partly because I like the cars I have so much and don't want to buy another. Part of the reason I don't is because I don't want to put that much carbon into the air, I don't want to fill up more landfill, I don't want to support an industry we should be (gradually, eventually) phasing out. And, given that I'm driving both cars less and less each year? I see no reason not to enjoy the hell out of them when I'm behind the wheel. And keep them nice looking and in good shape.

I did stop collecting guitars because they take up too much room, and I can't keep them all strung and intonated. I probably have 12 guitars-- no, I don't know exactly how many I have-- but I bought them to use them, not just to own them, and I estimate that each of them has been played at least 50 times. I don't covet a high-end Martin or Gibson, either acoustic or electric. I don't need them. I can record a good enough track and play a good enough show with what I've got. I'm just not that... subtle. (Some of my friends really are, and more power to them.) Having work done on a Martin or Gibson (particularly acoustics) can be like working on a Lotus... crazy expensive sometimes, depending on the job. A complete fret job costs the same on any guitar, but a cracked soundboard or bridge that's separating... I don't need the headache.

You are a man who has both lived AND learned. You should be commended! I wish there were more Catalyzts in the world.

I have what I have because I can... but I don't pretend that it's necessary in order to have a proper or reliable ebike.
If you remember my initial post in this thread I stated that I also own a very inexpensive DIY build that has served me well.

First DUI?
drunkard.gif

Can't fix that with a mallet!

I am jumping in late here on page 5. I saw the intro and skipped to the last page. Bikes are a lot like guitars. And I really like the micro-mobility aspect. I sold my car on January 20th 2018 because of eBikes. It has been so liberating. I hopped on a bike this morning and rode 2.5 miles for a snack and it took me 11 minutes to get there, no lights, no parking. I am in better shape that 20 years ago and have many more friends. Because I burn more calories, I get to eat better.

1714155124812.jpeg

I am jumping in late here on page 5. I saw the intro and skipped to the last page. Bikes are a lot like guitars. And I really like the micro-mobility aspect. I sold my car on January 20th 2018 because of eBikes. It has been so liberating. I hopped on a bike this morning and rode 2.5 miles for a snack and it took me 11 minutes to get there, no lights, no parking. I am in better shape that 20 years ago and have many more friends. Because I burn more calories, I get to eat better.

that looks like a 50 mile ride.

Gawd that looks fantastic
Since you liked that, you can start with the soup course. Then the salmon. And finish breakfast with a bread pudding made from croissant, egg, chocolate and raspberries, after a big ride.

Attachments

• BreadPudding3.JPG
    BreadPudding3.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 12
  • BreadPudding4.JPG
    BreadPudding4.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 10
  • BreadPudding5.JPG
    BreadPudding5.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 10
Back