$10,000.00?

The Archer Gen2 shifter uses an internal rechargeable lithium battery, as does the handlebar control. The adapter to use the bike battery is optional.
Useless pieces of garbage. One battery rechargeable in freezing weather is the Lead Acid. I park my lithiumIon battery indoors under a heating pad late October to late April, but still shop & meet off the bike.

My aversion to electronic shifting is kind of irrational: I don't want the battery powering anything but the motor.
Interesting. What about lights and bike computer, horn (if you have one)? Do you like to keep track of multiple batteries charge level and re-charge them all periodically. Why not instead connect all this to single battery and keep track of it only?

Ten Thousand Dollars, Seven Thousand Dollars ?
Just sign on the dotted line and when it breaks she's still paying - the "Western Union" Credit BANK @ 25++% for the brand name eBike
Then there's a problem and it's documented here at EBR { all except that monthly payment which must be made ~ and never mentioned }
$$ Before the bannanas are bought in cold December let's say.

Hey Mikey .
$10k you should be able to pay that amount in cash.
Financing a $100k truck is understandable or a million dollar house.
As for ebikes it's worth the money.
I experienced sticker shock myself when I purchased my 1st ebike.
Paid $2K for a new aventon. Pretty darn good bike, but it was not for me.
Bought a 2nd ebike $7000 plus shipping and accessories upwards cost to date more than $10k.
I'm happy with it.
If you're happy with your current ebike that's all that matters.
Enjoy the ride.

All I’m saying is that people aren’t fools for buying Specialized. Having ridden cheap secondhand bikes (and loving them) for most of my life, the Specialized name means nothing to me. I chose to buy their bikes recently after test riding against the competition.
+1
Some brand-snobs will criticize anyone buying a less expensive bike, but I think they are the ones that may be full of cr@p :)

My recent and most expensive ever bike purchase is the Ride1UP CF Racer1 for $2300. Full carbon, ~ 28 lbs, Mostly Shimano/SRAM components, and rides beautifully. Is is worth it to spend 2x or more for a Specialized, Trek, etc? Not with my money.

If I were riding only 20 miles a week in Florida I doubt I’d own a $10k e-bike either. But I ride many more miles and there are steep hills and atrocious roads I ride and a $2000 e-bike would be scrap in a week.

+1
Some brand-snobs will criticize anyone buying a less expensive bike, but I think they are the ones that may be full of cr@p :)

My recent and most expensive ever bike purchase is the Ride1UP CF Racer1 for $2300. Full carbon, ~ 28 lbs, Mostly Shimano/SRAM components, and rides beautifully. Is is worth it to spend 2x or more for a Specialized, Trek, etc? Not with my money.
Seems like there are as many budget snobs criticizing the people buying expensive bikes as there are the other way around. I guess that's forums for you!

Also you don’t need carbon fiber to make an expensive bike. Custom Ti and steel frames can run $4500 or more for just the frame. And any steel frame will be way more comfortable than aluminum or carbon.

If I were riding only 20 miles a week in Florida I doubt I’d own a $10k e-bike either. But I ride many more miles and there are steep hills and atrocious roads I ride and a $2000 e-bike would be scrap in a week.
for sure. I have put way over 40,000 miles on e-bikes in less than 5 years. no way a low ned bike will hold up to that. but even a decent bike I have destroyed all the rear wheels on all 4 bikes. 1 million feet clipped 2500 hours of riding and around 4000 or more rides.

I’m noticing that a rider with an expensive ebike might rely on a bike shop more. While a rider with the ability, tools, and patience to work on their own bike can be just fine with a cheaper (sub $2000USD) ebike.

I’m not suggesting that a cheaper bike will need more maintenance, all bikes need regular maintenance, just that the rider will maintain their bike more often to avoid issues leading to downtime and waiting for the shop to get the part.

I’m noticing that a rider with an expensive ebike might rely on a bike shop more. While a rider with the ability, tools, and patience to work on their own bike can be just fine with a cheaper (sub $2000USD) ebike.

I’m not suggesting that a cheaper bike will need more maintenance, all bikes need regular maintenance, just that the rider will maintain their bike more often to avoid issues leading to downtime and waiting for the shop to get the part.
or they cant get a part cause the bike uses cheap no name parts and the bike sits in a corner and rots. but a cheaper bike will need more maintenance because the parts are not as durable or well built. well thats if they put effort into peddling.

or they cant get a part cause the bike uses cheap no name parts and the bike sits in a corner and rots. but a cheaper bike will need more maintenance because the parts are not as durable or well built. well thats if they put effort into peddling

Or the parts are easily found from 100's of vendors because they're off the shelf proven parts...
Not overpriced proprietary ones sold to the deep pocket brochure blinded

Or the parts are easily found from 100's of vendors because they're off the shelf proven parts...
Not overpriced proprietary ones sold to the deep pocket brochure blinded
all the parts but electrical are found over the counter. where if something electrical happens on a cheap bike you may need to change everything to make it work. Hard to find 7 or 8 speed parts locally sometimes. I have plenty of places to get bosch stuff if I need it. usually trek has it on hand.

Seems like there are as many budget snobs criticizing the people buying expensive bikes as there are the other way around. I guess that's forums for you!
Actually, no issue for me with those that want to and have the money to spend $10k on a bike. Just think that those who do, but criticize those that spend less, might be snobs.

I guess I’m another anomaly. 12000 miles with one $1200 e-bike, and then 7500 miles with an $1100 e-bike (that’s now down to $800 new), and have never felt that they were cheap or unreliable.

That said, if I had a bigger garage and money available to burn without consideration of value, there are some $10000 bikes and e-bikes I wouldn’t mind having. I would love a 14 pound traditional road bike. And a Lemond Prolog e-bike with all the upgrades.

Last edited:
Bikes are (lets face it) generally luxury items. What people are willing to spend on them obviously varies wildly, but for some people dropping $10k+ on their hobby is no big deal. You don't even have to be rich, it just has to be something you're really into. Holds true about most hobbies. I have friends who are really into shooting and have multiple several-thousand-dollar guns. I'm into woodworking and have many thousands of dollars invested in tools (and it would be waaaaaay more if I had more shop space). You can't take the money with you, may as well spend it on something you enjoy if you have it. Compared to some hobbies cycling is relatively cheap.

Its worth it for many companies to maintain that halo product because there are always some people are willing to pay an additional 5k to have the "best", even when its only really a tiny bit better. Marketing wise it also probably helps sell the less expensive models (a $5k road bike on the shop floor looks like a better value sitting next to the $12k ultra high end model).

The price-to-performance graph in cycling is definitely a bell curve. Going from entry level to mid range tends to get you a lot of bang for your buck (better components, lighter bike, overall nicer ride, etc). At some point you get less and less as the price climbs more and more. Most people aren't going to really feel much difference between a dura-ace and 105 groupset, or a basic alloy wheelset compared to a fancy carbon set of zipps, etc. But some people are, and that price tag increase is totally worth it to get the higher end parts.

Bottom line IMO is to not judge what people are riding as long as they are having fun riding it.

Bikes are (lets face it) generally luxury items.
Ha HA HA HA!. Teslas are luxury items. Since I gave up cars as earth-toasters, my ebike is a necessity. I rode into a 35 mph wind yesterday to a concert. WIthout electricity my bicycle pace would have been 2 mph. Since my knees were destroyed by the US Army, I could have walked the 6 miles at only 1 mph. Ebike made it 6 mph. Monday the ebike carried home a new string trimmer to supplement the new mower at the shop for warranty work. I could not have carried that the 4.5 miles. With the MAC12t motor the yuba bodaboda+840 wh was $3200. It is 6 years old and has about 12000 miles.

Last edited:
Ha HA HA HA!. Teslas are luxury items. Since I gave up cars, my ebike is a necessity. I rode into a 35 mph wind yesterday to a concert. WIthout electricity my pace would have been 2 mph. Since my knees were destroyed by the US Army, I could have walked the 6 miles at only 1 mph. Ebike made it 6 mph. Monday I carried home a new string trimmer to supplement the new mower at the shop for warranty work. I could not have carried that the 4.5 miles.

Thats why I said "generally". :) There are certainly people for whom bikes are utilitarian. I just suspect that of every 100 ebikes/normal bikes sold in the US, 99 go to people who ride mainly for fun and recreation (with some utility thrown in here and there). I bike commuted pretty regularly from 2005 through 2017 (and only stopped because I started working remote) and I wouldn't even say that it was utilitarian for me. I had a car and did drive sometimes, commuting on the bike was just more fun and kept me in shape for longer rides on weekends.

If we're explaining why $10,000 bikes exist, its because most people buy bikes for enjoyment, and what people are willing to spend for enjoyment does extend into the 10s of thousands frequently enough for those to be worth selling.

Ha HA HA HA!. Teslas are luxury items. Since I gave up cars as earth-toasters, my ebike is a necessity. I rode into a 35 mph wind yesterday to a concert. WIthout electricity my bicycle pace would have been 2 mph. Since my knees were destroyed by the US Army, I could have walked the 6 miles at only 1 mph. Ebike made it 6 mph. Monday the ebike carried home a new string trimmer to supplement the new mower at the shop for warranty work. I could not have carried that the 4.5 miles. With the MAC12t motor the yuba bodaboda+840 wh was $3200. It is 6 years old and has about 12000 miles.
Many would laugh at the statement that Teslas are luxury items.

Back