Zzipper Bicycle Fairing for Electric Bikes?

I have a Sport, and will be getting an St1 Platinum likely this next week. Am wondering what you all think of the Zzipper fairings?

I had one back in the 80's and it seemed to make a bit of a difference, am thinking with the faster speeds of the Stromer, it might be worth it to try one again, should extend battery life a bit, and might help top speed a bit. IIRC, they only gave about a 10% gain for an upright bike an they were banned from competition pretty quickly.

I still see them on recumbents, but haven't seen one on a diamond style frame in forever. The smaller one was the one that gave the better airflow, I recall it was noisy and pretty flexible, the larger ones that covered the leg area wasn't a significant improvement.

zzipper-bicycle-fairing.jpg teardrop-bike-fairing.jpg

They also made the steering more sensitive to crosswinds, as it's handlebar mounted.

hmm. I would consider one for winter commuting if I found that pogies did not provide sufficent warmth.

I was considering one for cutting down on wind noise until I bought my much-less-expensive Wind-Blox. Write-up coming soon on those. I've only used them a few times so far, and want to give myself more time to get a feel for them before writing about them.

I was considering one for cutting down on wind noise until I bought my much-less-expensive Wind-Blox. Write-up coming soon on those. I've only used them a few times so far, and want to give myself more time to get a feel for them before writing about them.

The Zzippers are pretty loud when you go over bumps, I don't think it/they would meet your needs.

I have a Sport, and will be getting an St1 Platinum likely this next week. Am wondering what you all think of the Zzipper fairings?

I had one back in the 80's and it seemed to make a bit of a difference, am thinking with the faster speeds of the Stromer, it might be worth it to try one again, should extend battery life a bit, and might help top speed a bit. IIRC, they only gave about a 10% gain for an upright bike an they were banned from competition pretty quickly.

I still see them on recumbents, but haven't seen one on a diamond style frame in forever. The smaller one was the one that gave the better airflow, I recall it was noisy and pretty flexible, the larger ones that covered the leg area wasn't a significant improvement.

View attachment 1453 View attachment 1452

They also made the steering more sensitive to crosswinds, as it's handlebar mounted.

Don't know where you ride or how you ride, but I try to NOT to draw attention to my eBike (if you know what I mean), and a fairing would definitely draw attention.

Would like to know how much faster the ST1 Platinum cruise speed is than the Elite, in the real world... I cruise at 24 mph without too much effort on my Elite.

Don't know where you ride or how you ride, but I try to NOT to draw attention to my eBike (if you know what I mean), and a fairing would definitely draw attention.

Would like to know how much faster the ST1 Platinum cruise speed is than the Elite, in the real world... I cruise at 24 mph without too much effort on my Elite.

The Platinum motor cuts out at just over 28mp/h so your not that far behind the Platinums' top speed.

Back