Zooz Bikes launches 3 new BMX-style electric bikes

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
Looks like an interesting eBike for Millennials who grew up with BMX style bikes. ;)

Zooz Bikes has just announced the launch of its new electric bike model known as The Urban Ultralight. The bikes are available in three versions: The Zooz Urban Ultralight 250, Urban Ultralight 750, and Urban Ultralight 1100. As you probably guessed, those figures relate to the wattage of the bikes’ motors. While the three different models are differentiated by motor power and battery capacity, all three share many similarities.

The bikes are not heavy on technology like some other e-bikes we’ve seen lately. Instead, Zooz is adopting “a less-is-more approach, focusing on quality components, design, and the ride instead of gadgets and racks and gimmicks,” explained cofounder Chris Zahner. He continued, “Urban dwellers are looking for exploration and excitement on top of simple mobility as social distancing measures not only affect your commute but also minimize our daily dose of excitement. Zooz offers thrill-on-demand.”

zooz_3.jpg

All of Zooz’s e-bikes feature minimalistic, chromed-out 4130 Chromoly steel frames, long bench seats for two riders, and hydraulic disc brakes. While they certainly have a BMX-meets-minibike appearance, they aren’t actually sporting typical BMX wheels. Instead, you get an option of either 24″ or 26″ wheels (only 26″ on the higher power models), as well as an option for low or high handlebars on all Zooz models. The Urban Ultralight 250 (or UU 250, as Zooz calls it for short) has a rear geared hubmotor rated for 250W continuous or 500W peak. Its 36V 17.5Ah battery packs in 630 Wh for a “minimum range” of 25 miles (40 km). The 44.1 lb (20 kg) bike can support riders up to 200 lb (90 kg) and rider heights of 5’0″ to 6’5″ (152-195 cm). The top speed is only 16 mph (25 km/h), but this is the base model after all. All three bikes are now available for pre-order with delivery by April of next year. The Zooz UU250 is on sale for $1,500 (regularly $2,000), the UU 750 is on sale for $2,000 (regularly $2,600), and the UU 1100 is on sale for $2,500 (regularly $3,200).

1599668715521.png

I love the title of the Electrek review... like the oddball guy with sneakers at a wedding. ;)

Right now, Zooz has three models, all based on motor size: the 250w, 750w, and 1000w. More than likely the 250w is made for European countries, the 750w for places that pretend to enforce E-Bike laws, and the 1000w is for places that don’t pretend. In my opinion, the 750w and 1000w bikes would benefit from a torque based pedal assist. Since the 250w bike is made for Europe, the cadence pedal assist acts like a throttle and gives a laid-back cruise to our friends in the old-world. That’s great. In less-restrictive countries, we already have a throttle, and the addition of a torque sensor would make the single speed pedaling much more useful. As it stands, I would start the bike using the throttle, and just settle in. The pedals became a quaint out-of-date fashion piece, like a rotary phone or a gas car.

pictime14.png

I had a blast on the $2k 750w bike. I think it was great for the cruising focus the bike has. If I planned on hitting the park a bit more or tackling big hills on the regular, I would opt for the 1000w. Once the vaccine starts reaching my demographic, I would definitely choose the Zooz bike as my fly ride to pull up at a gathering. No other bike is as inviting, alluring or care-free as the Zooz. The Zooz is like a “dress up” pair of Jordans, Chucks, Superstars, or Vans.

Last edited:
I just picked up a UL750. Super fun and fast little bike. I got it as a second ebike to ride with my 3-year-old on the seat. It works perfectly and I even put front pegs on for him. The bike has really fast acceleration making it a lot more fun than my wife's ebike. In fact, she keeps riding it. My only complaint is I wish I could raise the seat higher. Looks cool but is a pain to sit and pedal. Standing up is a must on hills. That said you use the throttle most of the time.

Back