'Zen Skunkworks' - a new model in the development

The new Belt drive Zen model is well received by customers. One of our wonderful customers in Ontario is thoroughly enjoying his.

1672958190954.jpeg

I love the look of this ST Zen, my only wish would be some screw mounts on the head tube for a bottle cage mounting bracket or front rack (front rack is a meh). I don't ride everyday, but when I do ride it is usually 20 -40 miles at a time in Florida weather. I like the convenience of having the water bottles in a place that is easy to reach.

And before anyone points out the other mount points; where the lock is located is great, and the mount under the seat I see as a place for a pump.

Attachments

• 51gMWbEQejL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    51gMWbEQejL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I love the look of this ST Zen, my only wish would be some screw mounts on the head tube for a bottle cage mounting bracket or front rack (front rack is a meh). I don't ride everyday, but when I do ride it is usually 20 -40 miles at a time in Florida weather. I like the convenience of having the water bottles in a place that is easy to reach.

And before anyone points out the other mount points; where the lock is located is great, and the mount under the seat I see as a place for a pump.

Thanks for your comment :). We have that option on the Bosch samurai model.
The step-thru version has mounting points on the downtube and the seat tube. We will certainly try to include the mounting points near the head tube as well.

Is this "new Belt drive Zen model" new for 2023?
Does this model have a throttle?
Is there any further information on this New Zen e-bike?
When can we order one?

Is this "new Belt drive Zen model" new for 2023?
Does this model have a throttle?
Is there any further information on this New Zen e-bike?
When can we order one?

Yes, Ken!
This will be one of the new models. It will have a throttle and a 960Whr battery. Of course, the Gates belt drive system remains.
We have a few units coming in April, and the order page will be live sometime in February.

Ravi, is this a joke" a decent bike finally for the "Volks", I could imagine how fast this bike would become unobtanium in the hands of retailers( Moral lesson here,"Never foul nest and dance with the one that brung you"( last part quote by the late great Jimmy Dean) And an apology didn't realize this was a 2020 thread( current cargo offering looks really nice- something if I was young and lived in my fantasy world Utopia I would have desired, just a thought, strange how the Future usually takes a different path than the Soothsayers predict. My favorite TV show in the sixties was Union Carbides-"21st Century' hosted by Walter Cronkite, seconded by "Lost in space" they used to have school shows in the Audiotorium at the old "Alma Mater' the best one I got to see was "GMs "Preview of progress" missed most of the others because I usually didn't have the 25 or 35 cent admission fee.

Last edited:
Ravi,
If I want a spare battery for zen ebikes, can I buy it from other sites ? Ideally, I want a bike which uses minimum proprietary parts , can these parts can be sourced from other neutral sources.
Thanks,

The new Belt drive Zen model is well received by customers. One of our wonderful customers in Ontario is thoroughly enjoying his.
What a beautiful bike , oh wait it's mine I own it ! I wanted to wait and post more pictures before responding. But the weather has been wet and cold so without further ado!
It's everything and more of what I expected of the bike. After riding an Elby for three years and after 9000 kms it was time for a change . And because my last bike was a Canadian owned company and no problems , I decided that's the best way for me to continue.
So the weather has been less than perfect to say the least . However I've managed to put on 100 kms on the bike so far . My thoughts are Ravi you should name this model but as someone else suggested Samaria ST works for me. The riding position is upright and comfortable, the motor is very quiet and torquey. Hills , I fear you no more this bike just wants to go , it's additive. The suspension, after coming off a hard tail and no front suspension is a blessing.The Envolo and the belt drive is quite nice . The belt is quiet and maintenance free the Envolo is different. Not as direct and sharp shifting as a derailleur, more relaxed. But hey I'm not on the tour and I'm enjoying it so far. The bike has a big battery and heavy however after 40 years of motorcycles, it's a toy no problem.
I can't wait for some warmer to put some serious km on it .
I've spent a lot of time personalizing the bike, since Elby was setup perfect for me , it was just a matter of transferring parts over. I like a busy cockpit , so I put my handlebar extension on to mount my phone and Bose speaker. Then I changed the handle grips to SQlab with extension horns. I also changed the saddle to my Brooks B17 and added my tool bag and an Arkel tail bag. Also a mirror and a folding rear basket which by the way will hold 24 tall boy beers, life is good . That's it for now Girls and boys ! Enjoy Robert

Attachments

• 20221227_111242_resized.jpg
    20221227_111242_resized.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 20230103_155957.jpg
    20230103_155957.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 154
Ravi, this ebike will have a throttle, hub motor, and a Gates belt drive? Is it a single speed?

Hi Ron,
This is a mid-drive, not a hub drive. It has an Enviolo Heavy Duty hub in the rear and a decent mid-drive motor.
It also comes with a Throttle up to 32km/hr

Ravi,
If I want a spare battery for zen ebikes, can I buy it from other sites ? Ideally, I want a bike which uses minimum proprietary parts , can these parts can be sourced from other neutral sources.
Thanks,

Thanks for this note.
We are building a battery manufacturing facility here in Canada, and we will be building all packs - Dorado style, Hailong shark style packs, and several other common types.
You could also purchase it from other sources, but our hope is that our customers don't have to go elsewhere to find something.
The cargo bike pictured here uses the common Dorado 48V,25Ah pack found on some bikes and this was for a particular customer but we will make sure all parts are available for at least 7-8 years.

Thanks for this note.
We are building a battery manufacturing facility here in Canada, and we will be building all packs - Dorado style, Hailong shark style packs, and several other common types.
You could also purchase it from other sources, but our hope is that our customers don't have to go elsewhere to find something.
The cargo bike pictured here uses the common Dorado 48V,25Ah pack found on some bikes and this was for a particular customer but we will make sure all parts are available for at least 7-8 years.
Thanks Ravi,

I saw one of your videos about reducing the ebike battery cost and having standard ways to charge all batteries ( e.g. USB-C ).
If batteries are generally interchangeable, and can be charged using standard cable that'd be a great move forward for ebikes.

Another E-bike for the same client and some accessories for carrying kids and cargo.
This particular client wanted a reliable E-bike with a long-range and long-lifetime battery, and the bike cost approx $2990.
We will have a few of these bikes available this April if anyone is interested.

View attachment 144187
View attachment 144188

Hi Ravi, cargo bikes are looking good. One suggestion if you haven't already thought of it, I would equip them with double leg kickstands. Single side kickstands are very unstable(due to the lean) when there is a load on the bike, especially higher/up on the cargo rack.

There are several versions available, I've used one similar to this:

Hi Ravi, cargo bikes are looking good. One suggestion if you haven't already thought of it, I would equip them with double leg kickstands. Single side kickstands are very unstable(due to the lean) when there is a load on the bike, especially higher/up on the cargo rack.

There are several versions available, I've used one similar to this:
this isa better choice as it can take weight. though it does not get out of the way as well.

this isa better choice as it can take weight. though it does not get out of the way as well.

Yep, if the one piece style clears the chain it is the better choice.

Back