Zen Photon Pro - Disc Brake Pad Replacement

Lol, we must be related. I had a stack of incident forms at work. When I retired last year everyone had a good laugh when I gathered them up to dump them. I worked there for 33 years and the stack was about 2” thick. Wonder I am still alive as I was an Electrician for half of that and burned myself dozens of times with up to 600v.

I don’t know if it’s wise to put two accident prone people in the same vicinity. I bet it would be fun for onlookers though.😄

Wonder I am still alive as I was an Electrician for half of that and burned myself dozens of times with up to 600v.

I was in grade 11 electronics class in 1981 and as a joke, the teacher held asked up a 400 volt capacitor and asked "Who wants to tutts the capacitor?"
(The teacher was Dutch and spoke with an accent. 😂)

I eagerly volunteered and the teacher let me do it.
I held the capacitor in one hand an touched it with the other.
My whole body convulsed but mostly my arms.
I touched it two more times to get a good feel for it and show the class. 😂

One day the teacher set up a Jacob's Ladder using a 20,000 volt oil burning furnace igniter.
Watching the spark rise up got a little boring after a while, so we talked the teacher into Zapping stuff to see if we could start a fire.
Paper, pencil, pen,.. we could stop the spark from rising by holding it down with the pencil.

Then a student wanted to sacrifice his dill pickle to the experiment so the teacher plugged the igniter into either end of the pickle and fired it up.
(We used coat hangers on the igniter. We plugged the pickle in like roasting a weiner when you're camping.)

It was pretty cool!!
The spark shot through the pickle and there was an green glow that filled the classroom.
The whole classromm stunk of burnt crap and fried pickles. 😂

I've got a bug zapper now to satisfy my cravings for excitement. 😂

20241003_123732.jpg

I remember investigating the Bell phone line at home trying to figure out the voltage but I didn't have a volt meter, so I just stuck my finger across the wiress and didn't feel anything so I stuck the wires on my tongue and it was just a little more spicy that a 9 volt battery (I'm sure everyone has liked a 9 volt battery)

After doing my voltage test a few times, the phone rang and I nearly blowed up my tongue 😝. Lol

I didn't know it at the time, but the dial tone on a telephone wire is about 10 volts, but it takes around 60 volts to ring the bell. 😂

This is all that was available in those days, before they invented touch tone, and ALL phones were owned by Bell.

Screenshot_20241003-125311_DuckDuckGo.jpg

There was a guy in class that had a stolen phone at home and the teacher said that he's going to get caught.
The teacher said that the Bell dudes (Narks) would ring a phone number and check the current flow to see how many bells are ringing.

The student said "I know, we disconnected the bells".
So his contraband phone worked fine and he could hear the other phone in the house ringing.

Last edited:
I'd rather hook up my pickle to my telephone than my tongue. 😂

I touch my 48 volt battery leads all the time (I haven't tried it on my pickle though) but I'm not putting 48 volts on my tongue.

My teacher said it's not the voltage the kills you, it's the amperage, but you need enough voltage to push the amps through.

I think he said it only a few milliamps through the heart to stop it?
Ironically you can restart the heart with electricity using a defibrillator, so if I ever stop my heart doing something stupid, I'll just plug myself back to get my heart pumping again. 😂

Last edited:
It does only take a few milliamperes to stop the heart.Your body has a resistance that determines how many volts it takes to do the deed. I have had 240v applied to my hands numerous times and am here to talk about it. However if I had been in water etc. all done.
In fact 52v from the bike battery might be enough if you get a good enough ground and you happen to be wet.

Moral of the story, respect electricity.

Moral of the story, respect electricity.

I like to learn the hard way.
I was trying to weld my ball joint on my car and my shoulder touched the frame and I got Zapped. (90 VDC I think)

I shouldn't have gotten a shock but I had a finger touching the welding rod. 😂

A guy at school got a little complacent when he was cutting metal with a gas torch.
He had an itch on his head and reached up to scratch it.
He ended up burning a red stripe across his forehead.

We had a lot of fun in highschool. 😂

I'm taking this post back! LOL

I finally replaced the disc pads, front and back. I replaced the oil in the back although it didn't appear to be dirty. Sanded down the rotors, too.

The rear took forever to bleed. I mean, forever. Still not confident it is completely bled.

The front was super easy.

The front is super sticky. No squealing. Very grabby. Perfect.

The rear? It is much better but not even close to grab of the front.

Lol, all good. What pads did you go with? Also the rear brake is harder to bleed. Helps if you remove the caliper from the bike so the hose has a straight shot down to it. All about making it easy for the air bubbles to flow out.

Back