Yet, another new Vado 3.0 owner

lewes5

Hello everyone, Chuck here living retired life in Lewes DE, about six miles from the beaches. I’ve been riding a 2013 carbon Trek Madone for the past four years. I’ve been slowing down a bit due in part to age (75) and increasing weight, (chocolate and pasta freak.). Still averaging about 50 miles a week before going to my part time job.

So both my wife and I purchased Specialized ebikes, her a Como 2.0 in the acid lava color (which she loves) and me the Vado 3.0. I picked mine up Monday and have put only 30 miles on thus far. I plan to ride both you Trek and the Vado but I have to say, the Vado is intoxicating! I’m so impressed with the way the assistance comes on soooo smoothly. My first time riding my 14 mile “circuit”, I was averaging about 5 to 7 mph faster compared to my Trek, with less effort. WOW!

I find myself staying in the first level of assistance using the gears when additional grunt is needed. I did go to the second level on Hwy 1, going into a 12 mph headwind. Being on the coast, we get some stiff winds; the tail winds are to die for!

I’ve been reading very carefully the discussions on the Vado 11t cog issues. I’m already thinking about swapping the chainring to 48t and swapping the cassette to something like an 11t/25t. We just don’t have large mountains or hills in coastal Delaware, Maryland or Virginia where those huge cogs would be needed. I did the same thing with the Trek without a problem. And besides, I’ve always got the third level os assistance.

An observation: I’ve noticed there isn’t much, if any, discussion about keeping the chain lubricated. A dry chain wears out much more quickly and causes the cogs to look chewed up.

Happy I found this forum. I’ve always lived on forums.
/chuck

Hi lewes5,
I too am an avid vado3 rider and very happy with the bike. My first chain lasted 1100km after which I upgraded to a 48T chainring and replaced the rear cassette with a 11/42 Deore. Much smoother shifting and no less a climbing ability in the hills around here. I'm cleaning the chain every 100 km or so with Rock N Roll Extreme. After the first chain I got a Park tool chain tester. I use it every clean and swapped the last chain out when it measured 0.75%. I'm using kmc x10e proteq 136 link chains. So far they've worked out well. I've found my gear changing technique is slightly slower than on a regular bike but you adapt quickly.
Cheers

Thanks RodJets!

I have a really stupid question with respect to cleaning the chain. When I clean the chain on my Trek road bike, I spin the crank backwards to move the chain. On the Vado, the crank is free wheeling when spinning the crank backwards; the chain doesn't move. Are you raising the rear wheel off the ground some how and moving the crank forward, like you are peddling the bike?

I use the "rag" method for cleaning my chain. I simply hold the chain with a clean rag and turn the crank backwards. I keep turning the rag, removing the gunk until nothing more comes off. Then I oil each link. I am cautious about using cleaners for fear of removing the deep seated lubricant in the links. LBS and several websites recommend this method.

I tip the bike over against the stand and lean it against the wall so as the rear tyre is off the ground and the bike weight holds it there. Then clean in the normal manner except you're rotating the cranks forward.

Starting with a dirty chain flood it with Rock N Roll Extreme dry lube while rotating the crank so as the complete chain is wet. No need to wipe clean first. After it's flooded rotate for several complete rotations of the chain then with a rag, wipe dry. I find the easiest way is with the bike still leaning over against the wall, to hold the crank and wipe the chain several times towards the bottom of the derailleur. Then rotate the crank a bit and do it again until the chain is dry. This stuff isn't wet lube like some treatments.

I did the Otago Rail Trail several years ago http://www.otagocentralrailtrail.co.nz/. The tour company we went with at the time used the same lube and technique.

cheers

Back