Yamaha YPJ-MT Pro

Here is a great video review of the new PW-X2 motor. ;)

1608326561370.png

Interesting - Yes it seems like this is the Display X from above.

Part of me wishes the display would be a full blown cycle computer like a Garmin, but then I also know that would add to the cost and quickly become outdated, so I understand why they don't do it (but the same thing could be said of computers in a Tesla or similar...) So if it's going to be simple, then I am not so picky.

The information that can be displayed it actually a lot, just that the size means it can't display much at once, and the location and contrast means it's not particularly easy to read while riding. For example, though it can show your input power in Watts, for those doing training, etc. This can also be shared via bluetooth to an external cycle computer, which is neat.

One thing I might question is this: On the Panasonics, the display can easily be removed and taken with you just by sliding it off. I always take mine off just in case, but I have seen Panasonic bikes parked here and there, and most people seem to leave it on. I checked the replacement part price, and it's around $300, so I will continue to take mine off!

The Yamaha one is bolted on and connected by wires, so it can't come off easily. This is better for theft purposes (assuming you don't want to carry it around), but also potentially bad if you live in a place where people might vandalize it. (To be fair, the Panasonic X series seems to the the oddball, as I have not seen any other bikes where this is removable, not even their own lower end bikes).
Which bluetooth cycling computers connect to your bike?

Btw things I like/dislike about this model based on the spec sheet compared with my panasonic xm-d2:

Pros:
-display unit shows your pedaling input in watts and can share this to your Garmin unit via Bluetooth
-has usb output for charging
-unique frame design

Cons:
-Battery is not as easily removable, needs undoing two bolts each time
-Battery has no key (probably okay in Japan..)
-No built in light

Unknown :
-different rear shock location
Which Garmin connects to Yamaha ebikes?

Which USB power accessories worth with Yamaha ebikes?
Will the main one is a USB powered light, since it doesn't come with a built in light. If you want to do mountain riding at night then you'll want something more powerful than USB can power, but the light I found on Amazon works fine for trails and makes it road legal at least.

Also, you can use the USB port to power a Garmin or whatever else you need, or charge your phone in a pinch.

BTW I have got some new upgrades recently, the first of which is a Supernova M99 Pure Mini. (I made a separate post about that, but the link to my blog is
https://shiruba-technology.blogspot.com/2021/07/supernova-m99-pure-mini-u-boxing-and.html. ).

I have tested this and it works even with the USB output from the Yamaha, but I will make another post once I have hardwired it in properly. (You can see photos of the mounting fit on the Yamaha now, though).

I also got a Leomo bike computer. I am testing whether the bluetooth cadence, speed, and power data will display in the default Leomo app, or another app. (I will be testing the Karoo 2 as well). You can find out more about the Leomo in general if you are interested (
https://shiruba-technology.blogspot.com/2021/07/leomo-type-s-b-bike-computer.html ), but I will post a separate link once tested in detail with the Yamaha.

FYI I haven't found a way to get the Edge 1030 to display power data from the Yamaha yet.

Also, just for fun, I bought some straps FixPlus+ straps, which have... unique application for the Yamaha's special frame design.
DSC_2044.JPG
DSC_2045.JPG
DSC_2042 (1).JPG

As always, if any questions, let me know!

FYI I haven't found a way to get the Edge 1030 to display power data from the Yamaha yet.
Can your 1030 see anything in your Yamaha as Sensors? There are two good Data Fields available at Garmin IQ: EBike Field, and E-Bike Edge Multifield. Have you tried these?

It's worth noting that the bike has two bluetooth modes (profiles). According to the manual, one can show speed and cadence only, while one can also show power. I think the edge would only see the bike when it was in the mode for speed/cadence only. The fields I am using were the existing speed/cadence fields, and they worked fine. Since I am going to be testing this with the Leomo and Karoo 2 shortly anyway, I will try again with both modes on the Edge as well. (I think the eBike fields are for eBike specific info from specialized, Shimano, etc. that show battery level and other stuff the Yamaha doesn't broadcast).

I would expect ANT+ available?!
Not sure exactly what you mean:

The bluetooth settings on the bike are:
CSCP (Cycling Speed & Cadence Profile), CPP (Cycling Power Profile), or Off
ANT+ is sadly not listed as a feature on their page, in the manual, or anywhere in the menu. That said, one of the main advantages of ANT+ is the low power usage for sensors, which doesn't really apply to a bike with a huge battery.

It's worth noting that the bike has two bluetooth modes (profiles). According to the manual, one can show speed and cadence only, while one can also show power. I think the edge would only see the bike when it was in the mode for speed/cadence only. The fields I am using were the existing speed/cadence fields, and they worked fine. Since I am going to be testing this with the Leomo and Karoo 2 shortly anyway, I will try again with both modes on the Edge as well. (I think the eBike fields are for eBike specific info from specialized, Shimano, etc. that show battery level and other stuff the Yamaha doesn't broadcast).
The Karoo 2 bike computer shows all three (power, speed, cadence) when I connect it via Bluetooth using the power mode (CPP).

Not sure exactly what you mean:

The bluetooth settings on the bike are:
CSCP (Cycling Speed & Cadence Profile), CPP (Cycling Power Profile), or Off
ANT+ is sadly not listed as a feature on their page, in the manual, or anywhere in the menu. That said, one of the main advantages of ANT+ is the low power usage for sensors, which doesn't really apply to a bike with a huge battery.
The main advantage of ANT+ is a wealth of information can be extracted from e-bike; and multiple ANT+ devices can be connected. That's the strength of Garmin.

For instance, Giant e-bikes have been equipped with ANT+ compatible RideControl ONE remote (and these e-bikes use Yamaha motors). Here's what you can get from a Giant e-bike in addition to speed, cadence and rider's power on a Garmin Edge:
1627830638371.png

It looks your Yamaha e-bike cannot offer the same...

The main advantage of ANT+ is a wealth of information can be extracted from e-bike; and multiple ANT+ devices can be connected. That's the strength of Garmin.

For instance, Giant e-bikes have been equipped with ANT+ compatible RideControl ONE remote (and these e-bikes use Yamaha motors). Here's what you can get from a Giant e-bike in addition to speed, cadence and rider's power on a Garmin Edge:
View attachment 95049

I agree, the MT Pro does not share things like motor temperature, assist mode, etc. But those things *could* be shared with Bluetooth or ANT+.
Historically, bluetooth took more power than ANT+, so it was popular for things like heart rate monitors and speed sensors, but with BLE that is starting to change, and even Garmin has started releasing dual mode sensors now. Of course I wish my bike supported both, but my other bikes don't support either :p

View attachment 95049

You are correct, the Yamaha ebikes don't display battery%, assistance mode, battery range on bike computers. Here are some of the data fields on my bike computer connected to my Civante

Attachments

• 7C393236-50EB-413E-AF06-A35CF04D999B.jpeg
    7C393236-50EB-413E-AF06-A35CF04D999B.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 9D6D1103-1062-4DBD-91AF-E084F300F318.jpeg
    9D6D1103-1062-4DBD-91AF-E084F300F318.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 173
  • B6287EA4-5DEA-478A-8449-5111953F313F.jpeg
    B6287EA4-5DEA-478A-8449-5111953F313F.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 167
  • DA0C849C-0A33-4D6D-8965-3B0A370AE61E.jpeg
    DA0C849C-0A33-4D6D-8965-3B0A370AE61E.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 41AE6900-A4D2-4DC4-A6AB-C7C8AB70FFF6.jpeg
    41AE6900-A4D2-4DC4-A6AB-C7C8AB70FFF6.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Some Updates....
1. I saw online someone tried a tuning kit (Peartune?) which specifically supported PW-X2, but it doesn't work on this bike because the connector is apparently different on the bikes actually made by Yamaha as opposed to other brands that just use Yamaha motors. I think it was on a different forum but you can probably google for it.
2. I wanted to add a light, and SuperNova does support the PW-X2 motor, but again the light connector does not actually exist on this bike. I ended up tapping directly into the battery power instead.
More info here, if interested.
3. The connector for the battery to motor connection is easily available to make a power tapping harness. The connector to the sensor is also a standard JWPF connector. The oddball connectors are between the power input and the battery, and between the motor and the controller.
4. I have procured the service manual now :)
5. Again on some forum, someone who took the motor out on a non-Yamaha bike that uses the same PW-X2 motor was horrified to find that it they were supposed to use 22nm of force to put the bolts that hold the motor in. So, he put the motor back in with less torq on the bolts.
I did the same thing, but it was a mistake! After about 20km of riding, the bike started creaking. This turned out to be the bolts loosening. I put them in significantly tighter now, but unfortunately my torq wrench doesn't go up that high.
6. Although I couldn't get the my Garmin Edge to read the the power from the BLE, the hammerhead Karoo 2 works fine.
7. If you're really bent on "tuning", there is a much easier way than the electronic methods:
8. I use the Topeak FAT stand for this bike for now when I need to park it somewhere.

Hope some of this helps someone. Any questions, let me know.

2. I wanted to add a light,
A really good light with it's own cells such a SECA Enduro 2500 (6 x 18650 cells ) can be a helpfull addition to a reg. ebike's own battery powered light.
The min. of front lights on an ebike is of course N+1, same for rear.
U hv a Great blog, ty for sharing !

Last edited:
Back