Yamaha Wabash Gravel eBike - [Video]

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
A lot of small, well thought-out details packed into this bike!

Last edited:
I watched the video. You will notice the rider never sits on the saddle. I have ridden hardtail with yamaha motor on aluminum frame, and it beat my rear end. 43lbs of bike, motor and battery on alloy frame with 33mm tires in the dirt?! No thanks.

I love my Wabash. I’ve had it 4 days and already have 160 miles on it. I’m 72 and the bike makes me feel at least 20 years younger. I ride pretty much in level 2 boost (Eco) and only go level 3 (Std) on a very steep climb. I’ve yet to need to to full level 4 (High). Yes, it jars your teeth if you get off pavement but I love having the option. Both my high end road bikes are almost half the weight but I’m enjoying the Wabash more than either of them. I’m beyond the age of riding knarey single track but still enjoy exploring dirt double track.

That Wabash absolutely begs for a high end suspension seat post, like the Body Float or the Cane Creek Thudbuster!
It’s no so much the seat as I use the pedals to take the weight off the saddle. The jarring from the bars is more of a problem as I can’t very well release my grip over the rough spots.

It’s a great bike. I have a hybrid with a suspension seat post and a high end Trek Domane with a front stem suspension. It is much more stable and comfortable than either. Just a fantastic bike. And then there’s the e-bike side!

I just picked up my Wabash today, after a weekend test ride. The motor seems kinda loud, and there's a bit of a chirpy squeak when riding under assist. The dealer is aware and his rep told him they'd warranty swap the motor if it continues. Anyone else have this experience?

I'd love to see this running gear on a Niner MCR 9 MDO full suspension gravel bike. What an awesome combo that would be.

StmbtDave, you may want to look at a Shockstop Suspension Stem by Redshift:

I just picked up my Wabash today, after a weekend test ride. The motor seems kinda loud, and there's a bit of a chirpy squeak when riding under assist. The dealer is aware and his rep told him they'd warranty swap the motor if it continues. Anyone else have this experience?

The dealer reached out to me today and decided to order a new motor to do a warranty swap. Wasn't expecting him to pull the trigger on that so fast but I'll take it.

I may have to order that shockstop suspension system in the future. Looks like a great option to smooth out the bumpy roads I'm always on!

I'd love to see this running gear on a Niner MCR 9 MDO full suspension gravel bike. What an awesome combo that would be.

The dealer reached out to me today and decided to order a new motor to do a warranty swap. Wasn't expecting him to pull the trigger on that so fast but I'll take it.

I may have to order that shockstop suspension system in the future. Looks like a great option to smooth out the bumpy roads I'm always on!
I ride a Cross Core 3500 miles a year on mostly chip seal roads in Western PA. I forgot how unforgiving a rigid aluminum frame could be as I rode a full carbon for many years. After a month of sore wrists and beat up sit bones I installed 3 accessories that transformed the ride quality dramatically. First and absolutely foremost was the ShockStop stem. I got immediate relief and haven't had sore hands or wrists since. Worth every penny! Second and third accessories are a no name carbon seat post and a Brooks Cambium c15 saddle. Adjustmens proved finicky but after trial and error and finally finding the sweet spot all is well.
A few hundred dollars to upgrade the comfort level that much is a great deal.

roads I'm always on!
I ride a Cross Core 3500 miles a year on mostly chip seal roads in Western PA. I forgot how unforgiving a rigid aluminum frame could be as I rode a full carbon for many years. After a month of sore wrists and beat up sit bones I installed 3 accessories that transformed the ride quality dramatically. First and absolutely foremost was the ShockStop stem. I got immediate relief and haven't had sore hands or wrists since. Worth every penny! Second and third accessories are a no name carbon seat post and a Brooks Cambium c15 saddle. Adjustmens proved finicky but after trial and error and finally finding the sweet spot all is well.
A few hundred dollars to upgrade the comfort level that much is a great deal.

We have a demo size L on the floor. Yamaha motors do have a gear whine, I'm a gear head so that doesn't bug me, but it's there. I've noticed the squeak too, don't forget to check the brakes. It's very subtle and nobody has commented on it though.

Back