Yamaha unveils new full-suspension electric mountain bike

I keed I keed. Trance is dabomb, and already has a yammer drive. ;)

2019 Trance has the XT11 set anyway. The MORO is simply a sexy new bike. 👍

Last edited:
The engineering reasoning behind such design is that, the more compact your front triangle is, stiffer the frame, low polar moment of inertia (read better agility). A stiff frame + quality suspension components make the bike highly predictable in technical conditions.
Yamaha has made it compact and I suspect the bike would ride like a true MTB. I am expecting the bike to be priced at $4999 ... we shall see ...(There is a saying in Russia ... "the blind said, we'll see ..;))
$5499. With the engineering involved on full suspension combined with a mid drive, it's a miracle the price is below $6000. I would not even touch a full suspension priced below $5000 on a quality mid drive ebike, and you could not pay me enough to even take any full suspension HUB drive ebike. That concept is a disaster waiting to happen, as the frame and mechanical linkage forces involved, and components and precision needed in manufacturing to get this right, and not have it fail prematurely are going to cost a lot of money to build. Period. And there is not sufficient sales volume for this combination to make it up by scaling to reasonable enough volume to allow for a much lower price than where Yamaha has theirs now.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro with SyncDrive Pro, 150 mm Fox 36 front fork and 150 rear FOX DPS VOL and SLX 12 sp drivetrain cost me US$4850. I wonder how much @Browneye paid for his.
Do you ride it anywhere other than smooth pavement, or just admire it in your garage ? ;) Note I didn't say firms wont sell one lower priced, but I said "QUALITY" one and that I would not buy one for less, knowing the design capabilities and costs needed to accomplish them. (as a degreed mechanical engineer). Im sure some clowns or hacks will try to build and sell ones with Bafang motors, and price them even lower. All's I gotta say is 'buyer beware' big time.

I would expect people buying a full suspension mid drive that they want to last, and not be in the shop all the time for repairs, to ride in conditions more like Yamaha has shown here...otherwise thats a lot of money to be spending and not taking full advantage of where and how it can be ridden on killer trails...

P.S. I should note that I am not a big fan of MTB's on regular bikes, let alone ebikes, primarily because I believe the industry has been way over pricing them for what you get, for years, and unless you buy them at a steep discount, the value versus dollar spent and the potential use factor, and comfort factor (or lack thereof) has always been marginal. Now bring that into the ebike space, and its purely a very high profit endeavor for most of these mid drive MTB ebike makers, and not necessarily so for dealers, as I always see these types of ebikes priced at steep discounts since they were priced too high originally, and not providing enough value over a regular non electric MTB. These serious MTB riders have a lot of different needs and expectations to begin with, and if you are just a casual rider who prefers that type of ebike, and not taking it any really harsh conditions, or not doing so very frequently, you are probably spending a lot more money than you need to be for a ebike in general. (but as I said above, they are usually steeply discounted as prior to Covid 19 these were sitting on dealers floors for long periods of time. Lots of them produced by OEM's, non full suspension, so basically plentiful without correspondingly high demand.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The market has changed and there are now a number of very high-quality mid-drive EMTBs in the $4-$5k range.

The new Yamaha Moro is a great example of this trend and is priced at $ 4,499 MSRP.

I can assure you that Stefan and Browneye ride more off-road than you can imagine. ;)

The market has changed and there are now a number of very high-quality mid-drive EMTBs in the $4-$5k range.

The new Yamaha Moro is a great example of this trend and is priced at $ 4,499 MSRP.

I can assure you that Stefan and Browneye ride more off-road than you can imagine. ;)
Off-road is a rather vague term unless you qualify it. Riding on a technical track vs riding off pavement on regular direct roads are leagues apart. This is not to say how Stefan or Browneye rides their MTBs, just making sure we are clear on the usage definition.

Do you ride it anywhere other than smooth pavement, or just admire it in your garage ? ;)
Did you ride the Giant Trance E+ on trail? Oh, I did. Morass, trail, single track uphill, downhill. Only off-road.
What's more, our @PDoz is a technical single-track fanatic and he rides Giant Full E+.

P.S. I need to add the new Yamaha e-bike's specs (even in the Pro version) are sub Trance E+ 2020:
Heavier suspension, inferior brakes, inferior drive-train.

Off-road is a rather vague term unless you qualify it. Riding on a technical track vs riding off-pavement on regular direct roads are leagues apart.
This is not to say how Stefan or Browneye rides their MTBs, just making sure we are clear on the usage definition.

For what it's worth, I ride singletrack, enduro, and downhill... that should qualify as riding off-pavement. ;)

Last edited:
If we're only comparing components, then Giant Trance E+ may win out. But we have to acknowledge there are other aspects to the Yamaha Moro that no other bike has such as auto sensing power boost. Different features mean more or less to different folks. I still think Yamaha Moro is a winner.

The only novelty about Yamaha e-MTB is the frame. One might wonder it that's better than the Maestro suspension

My Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro with SyncDrive Pro, 150 mm Fox 36 front fork and 150 rear FOX DPS VOL and SLX 12 sp drivetrain cost me US$4850. I wonder how much @Browneye paid for his.

$3900 usd
About a thousand off the list for a left-over model. Our sales tax is 8%. That was about a month before the pandemic took off.

I thought that was a steal-deal for what I got. You're not gonna touch a new yammerhar for that, either model.
That blue and brushed-alloy on the Pro is really nice. The yellow...not so much. Seems like a good deal for what you're getting.
Now we need @PDoz to test-ride one and do a report for us. 😊

This was so steep I walked down most of it. I can't risk landing on my head again. LOL
It's WAY WAY steeper than it looks.

AEFC31A9-02B2-4A48-9B09-98B1749A6A5B.jpg

This is the high-speed stuff you go through at the speed-limiter.
Then they put water-bars across the trail, so now there are jumps. :p

A5ADDB3C-05B4-4CD5-81E9-224FB69D6CD0.jpg

Last edited:
The only novelty about Yamaha e-MTB is the frame. One might wonder it that's better than the Maestro suspension

@Stefan, how would you compare the 2021 Stance E+ to the 2020 Trance E+ ? From my limited mtb. exp. , i read it has an improved, larger battery size (625wh) vs 500wh. Other then that what are other key differences ?

$3900 usd About a thousand off the list for a left-over model. Our sales tax is 8%. That was about a month before the pandemic took off.
I thought that was a steal-deal for what I got. You're not gonna touch a new yammerhar for that, either model.
That blue and brushed-alloy on the Pro is really nice. The yellow...not so much. Seems like a good deal for what you're getting.
Now we need @PDoz to test-ride one and do a report for us. 😊

This was so steep I walked down most of it. I can't risk landing on my head again. LOL
It's WAY WAY steeper than it looks.
This is the high-speed stuff you go through at the speed-limiter.
Then they put water-bars across the trail, so now there are jumps. :p

The rock garden looks pretty steep and chunky. Stay safe out there! ;)

AEFC31A9-02B2-4A48-9B09-98B1749A6A5B.jpg

@Stefan, how would you compare the 2021 Stance E+ to the 2020 Trance E+ ? From my limited mtb. exp. , i read it has an improved, larger battery size (625wh) vs 500wh. Other then that what are other key differences ?

It is a good e-MTB. Especially, the 625 Wh battery is gladly welcome. It is a basic trail e-bike with very good specs. Highly recommended!

Differences: First of all, the Trance represents the next level of a trail e-MTB. It has longer travel and lighter shocks. The Pro version offers more powerful motor. The Trance's tyres are fatter. The tyres in Trance are tubeless, while I can read the Stance's are "tubeless ready". The drive-train and brakes in Trance are a level up.

Yet don't be deluded by the Trance. @PDoz (whom I trust) had explained to me I wouldn't need the Trance (too much of e-MTB for me) unless I had money to burn or my ego dictated me the purchase. I took Trance because I had money to burn and my ego dictated me buying the Trance :) Honestly, Stance is a very good e-bike and what makes me a little bit upset about my Trance is the 500 Wh battery (to get the 625 one, I need to pay a lot of money and the waiting time becomes months now).

Unless you need to ride a Giant really technically, the Stance is a very good choice. You might invest the money saved in a better dropper post, for example :)

Last edited:
The Trance’s Maestro rear suspension is a worthy upgrade. It just works better, and the overall spec is better. Unless money is really tight, the Trance is a much nicer bike.
But yes, it will take you to the same places. LOL

Back