Yamaha pw-st vs pw-se, any big differences?

snooz

Region
Europe
Hello community, first post here, trying to get some help to decide which will be my first Ebike
I want to buy an Emtb, and due to my budget and availability in my country I have come to these 2 options:

Haibike Sduro Fullseven Lt 2.0 2020 & Lapierre Overvolt AM 400i 2019

The Lapierre has better components and seems like a better bike with the integrated battery but it has the older Yamaha PW-se motor. The Haibike has the new model pw-st
So, I need some help regarding the differences between these 2 motors as I can not find many info about this. It seems that they have the same power but the st model has some kind of automatic support (like EMTB mode from Bosch?)

I would thank any advice to help me decide

Hello community, first post here, trying to get some help to decide which will be my first Ebike
I want to buy an Emtb, and due to my budget and availability in my country I have come to these 2 options:

Haibike Sduro Fullseven Lt 2.0 2020 & Lapierre Overvolt AM 400i 2019

The Lapierre has better components and seems like a better bike with the integrated battery but it has the older Yamaha PW-se motor. The Haibike has the new model pw-st
So, I need some help regarding the differences between these 2 motors as I can not find many info about this. It seems that they have the same power but the st model has some kind of automatic support (like EMTB mode from Bosch?)

I would thank any advice to help me decide
Welcome to EBR... you will find a wealth of advice on this forum.
You can't go wrong with either Yamaha motor... the PW-SE and ST are both very reliable.
The power output is the same, just the auto shift programming is different. I would go with the better spec bike that fits you.

USA: Yamaha Power Assist Bicycle Drive Units | Yamaha E Bikes (yamahabicycles.com)
EU: PWseries ST - e-Bike Systems | Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (yamaha-motor.com)

Welcome to EBR... you will find a wealth of advice on this forum.
You can't go wrong with either Yamaha motor... the PW-SE and ST are both very reliable.
The power output is the same, just the auto shift programming is different. I would go with the better spec bike that fits you.

USA: Yamaha Power Assist Bicycle Drive Units | Yamaha E Bikes (yamahabicycles.com)
EU: PWseries ST - e-Bike Systems | Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (yamaha-motor.com)

thank you, I have ordered the Lapierre with the older PW-SE motor, I hope everything goes well!

is there any iOS app recommended to connect the Ebike with the phone? thanks a lot

thank you, I have ordered the Lapierre with the older PW-SE motor, I hope everything goes well!

is there any iOS app recommended to connect the Ebike with the phone? thanks a lot
Hi ...I have a Haibike fullseven 7 2017 model Yamaha pwx..I was very pleased with it until 2 weeks ago...I got an error code 062 motor controller come up...its 8 months out of warranty(2yes 8maths old) so I got no help from Haibike/Raleigh or Yamaha..spares are not available I'm told so it's a new motor at £900..its never been under water or pressure washed so I don't think its fit for purpose if water can get in so easily..hope yours is more reliable..maybe I got a bad one lol

Hi ...I have a Haibike fullseven 7 2017 model Yamaha pwx..I was very pleased with it until 2 weeks ago...I got an error code 062 motor controller come up...its 8 months out of warranty(2yes 8maths old) so I got no help from Haibike/Raleigh or Yamaha..spares are not available I'm told so it's a new motor at £900..its never been under water or pressure washed so I don't think its fit for purpose if water can get in so easily..hope yours is more reliable..maybe I got a bad one lol
Confirm the error code 62 and replace the controller assembly. Good luck!
1610503143410.png

Last edited:
Hi...Thanks for your help...I've tried to get a new PCB board but no body has any..any ideas

PCB boards are not available to buy so you have to buy a new motor at £900...rip off

Yes I thought that's what forums are for...asking questions and getting different answers from other people who may have some information..yes I know I can buy a new motor...I was asking for a PCB board or repair!

Flatsix911..that motor is the wrong one it's the XPO21 mines XPO10..the electric connector is wrong..Thanks

Let me know which motor year and model number for PW-SE, X, etc. and we can help you search.

Last edited:
Whomever in Yamaha and Bosch decided to not make internal motor parts unavailable for sale to bike shops, let alone do it yourself ebike owners, should be fired.

I've linked the X9 service manual to alot of new Yamaha owners in search of info, here, many, many times. And I always thought the point: what's the use of an in-depth service manual if the OEM manufacturer offers NO REPAIR PARTS?

@humber44- Poster FlatSix911 is one of the most helpful, encouraging posters on this site. Any consternation about your Yamaha problem should not be directed at him, instead, we should ALL direct it at Yamaha Japan and Yamaha USA for these kinds of business practices. A 20 dollar circuit board should not require the bike owner to plop down a thousand dollars plus for an entirely new motor.

This really is going to be a future, untenable situation with alot of high quality ebikes rendered basically into junk when that reality sets in. This would be like Yamaha motorcycles telling the owner that "Sorry, we don't sell internal engine parts for your Yamaha TW200 enduro motorcycle, you will have to buy an entirely new engine assembly."

I'd like to see Court Rye address this issue with upper tier Yamaha executives with the company. Bike shop personnel won't do on this one, this is a problem that needs to be addressed by the people who created this kind of atmosphere.

My 2016 Haibike Full FatSix has the Yamaha PW system, which no longer is in the Yamaha catalog! Is there a warehouse supply of new old stock motors and controllers and displays, or would I have to go with the PW-ST? Do the engine mounting holes line up with mine? LOL

Good luck, Humber44. Let us know what you decide to do, know that we are with ya.

A big, fatal flaw of the Ebike industry and dealership level is that these people ALL want to sell you their particular ebike, but after a few months or years in the saddle, when the warranty runs out, you are SOL when it comes to parts, repairs or other service connected to the drive or battery systems.....

PCB boards are not available to buy so you have to buy a new motor at £900...rip off
If you are still around monitoring EBR what was the final outcome with your bike? New motor, a fix of some sort, or did it become an expensive lesson? I have a BH gravel bike with the Yamaha PW-SE drive. It is a great bike but I hate to say that if I had known about Tongsheng TSDZ2 kits I never would have purchased the BH, even though I got a great deal on it ($1500 for a new bike with MSRP of $3400). You can source virtually any part for the Tongsheng from multiple sources (eco-ebike, Amazon, Ebay, Walmart.com etc/etc) or replace the entire drive and peripherals for a fraction of the$1200/900GBP replacement that you quoted. A new controller for the Tongsheng is ~$50. Another advantage is that you can remove the Tongsheng to return your bike to its original configuration easily and transfer the Tongsheng to another bike if desired (I've done that several times) - while a Yamaha or other proprietary frame becomes worthless without the motor that the frame is specific for. I have ridden thousands of miles combined on the Yamaha and Tongsheng assisted bikes and found the performance to be very comparable, both systems are excellent for my uses.

Back