Yamaha PW motor 20 mph unlocked. Durability?

Johnitahoe

I just unlocked the speed limiting on my Haibike 2017 with Yamaha PW motor. Does anyone know what this motor can handle in terms of durability? Also curious if there are areas of concern I need to keep an eye on? Will the battery heat up quicker? etc?

I unlocked my Yamaha PW motor a few months after acquiring my 2016 Haibike AllMtn. After 15,000 miles and six years I had the motor overhauled because I like to do preventive maintenance. All the gears and bearings were fine, and they were all replaced. I have never experienced the battery overheating. The Yamaha motor is strong and durable.

2100+ miles on my 2017 Sduro FullNine and its been unlocked since the second month I bought it. I hate to admit it, but I haven't even had it fully serviced since I bought it, mostly due to scarcity on Haibike parts and also due to every bike shop near me not wanting to service any ebike, not just mine.

I just unlocked the speed limiting on my Haibike 2017 with Yamaha PW motor. Does anyone know what this motor can handle in terms of durability? Also curious if there are areas of concern I need to keep an eye on? Will the battery heat up quicker? etc?
@Johnitahoe: 2016 model year Haibike FullFatSix, Yamaha PW. PearTune speed chip installed roughly 2 years ago.

Approximately 17,200 miles on the odometer since placed in service, April 2017. No problems to report except for 1 loose spoke magnet early on (tightened that and no troubles since) and 1 change out of the LCD display's battery.

Areas of concern? Keep the chain lubed and clean. Replace the chain after checking for chain stretch unless you don't mind replacing a worn front chain ring. Avoid pedal or crank arm strikes with any solid object as that will shock load your internal motor gearing. And as you know, those motor gears inside are plastic. These batteries overall are pretty bulletproof. Just don't run the battery down to zero while out riding.

@WalkinTarget: Bike parts are bike parts and no need to worry about your Haibike when it comes to parts. Parts can be replaced in kind with even better replacements, it's just a matter of going to a LBS or online bike retailer like Universal Cycles and breaking out that credit card.

Many Yamaha or Bosch motor parts are available at on-line retailers like RideWill in Italy (great service from them, don't let the fact that they are in Europe scare you as their shipping time & prices are comparable to what we have here in the US). They even stock the Haibike battery decals for those external batteries, be it Bosch or Yamaha.

And don't forget Performance Line Bearings for internal motor bearings, gears and seals. They have a US distributor, too.

Enjoy the ride and welcome!

Back