XU700 15

Ken

For me this bike has been the perfect ride, if that's possible. This "commuter" was equipped with the BionX D 500 DV drive, and the 11.6 Ah battery.

It took a bit of getting used to (10 minutes) the way the torque sensor "rides" when compared with simple, crude, cadence sensors that I put 16,000 km on. The XU700 is so smooth . The way it works really is more like a fine tuned human machine interface, really, -it feels more like the legs are part of the bike and the hills are just not there, they're just an optical conclusion ;-))

The frame 22.5", is perfect size and fit. Great saddle with little run in time. Top of the line components all over. Gearing is perfect and smooth as silk, well set up at the dealer. I find myself going "too fast" and I'm only on assist level 2.

I didn't think I would really appreciate it but I love the regen!. Going down one hill on the way to work at 60 km used to be a wee bit hair raising, especially when a car pulls out of a street when I was at peak speed 2/3 the way down. I didn't like wearing out the breaks. With the regen. now it's ~30 km, I'm not worrying about loosing half my body if I wipe out, and I'm generating. I doesn't get much better than that.

Console and control is the best I have used. Even with winter gloves easy to turn on/off, lights, +/- and throttle all easy to use and access. Some of those functions were not easy with the previous console, end up having to take gloves off to activate lights or changing display, resulting numb fingers this time of the year. Oh and console's ability to be removed is brilliant.

The issue with keys in the battery and locking the bike with the key still in was always an issue with the last two bikes, keys stick out, and lanyards for the keys get caught up in things, all gone with the OHM.

500 km in two weeks and I still have a big smile on.

Hello Ken
This is the new 2015 bike? Did you try other ebikes? The Trekking by Haibike, for instançe. How would you compare your bike with other bike with center drive motor?

Thanks

We have couple of XS 750's and oh boy, this BionX motor is a beast. Very silent but not so stealthy.
Overall, we like it a lot.

XS 750.JPG

Hello Ken
This is the new 2015 bike? Did you try other ebikes? The Trekking by Haibike, for instançe. How would you compare your bike with other bike with center drive motor?

Thanks
Have you all test driven the 2015 OHM 750 with the 500 watt Bionx motor? Most of the bikes recommended in your best list don't match the speed, power and range of this bike. Some are not even close. Not even the Haibikes. Plus how many pedal assist bikes have a throttle that gives you 600 percent pedal power? The answer is none. I'm a long time ebike owner, and purchased the 750 six months ago. Peter

Yeah, @Peter Weinberger the D 500 BionX system is quite the beast! Very elegant on the motor construct, too. There is a difference in the type of performance a mid drive motor will produce compared to a hub motor. A rather simplistic way to view that difference is that hub motors are great for speed and mid drives are better on the torque side. With the introduction of the newest 750watt Bafang mid drive you are approaching improvements on both sides of that equation; however, you still have that 'feel' or lag during shifting which the hub motor on the BionX doesn't have.

Michael DeVisser at OHM Cycles has always produced an excellent bike with better quality components and a little extra engineering going into specs of the batteries and their placement. I really liked how his first bikes had a snug fitting, but easy to handle battery centered in the middle of the bike's frame and just above the cranks--helped the bike maneuver better.

Can the SRAM gearset on this bike (XU700 165) be replaced with a Shimano System with perhaps two front sprockets??

For me this bike has been the perfect ride, if that's possible. This "commuter" was equipped with the BionX D 500 DV drive, and the 11.6 Ah battery.

It took a bit of getting used to (10 minutes) the way the torque sensor "rides" when compared with simple, crude, cadence sensors that I put 16,000 km on. The XU700 is so smooth . The way it works really is more like a fine tuned human machine interface, really, -it feels more like the legs are part of the bike and the hills are just not there, they're just an optical conclusion ;-))

The frame 22.5", is perfect size and fit. Great saddle with little run in time. Top of the line components all over. Gearing is perfect and smooth as silk, well set up at the dealer. I find myself going "too fast" and I'm only on assist level 2.

I didn't think I would really appreciate it but I love the regen!. Going down one hill on the way to work at 60 km used to be a wee bit hair raising, especially when a car pulls out of a street when I was at peak speed 2/3 the way down. I didn't like wearing out the breaks. With the regen. now it's ~30 km, I'm not worrying about loosing half my body if I wipe out, and I'm generating. I doesn't get much better than that.

Console and control is the best I have used. Even with winter gloves easy to turn on/off, lights, +/- and throttle all easy to use and access. Some of those functions were not easy with the previous console, end up having to take gloves off to activate lights or changing display, resulting numb fingers this time of the year. Oh and console's ability to be removed is brilliant.

The issue with keys in the battery and locking the bike with the key still in was always an issue with the last two bikes, keys stick out, and lanyards for the keys get caught up in things, all gone with the OHM.

500 km in two weeks and I still have a big smile on.

Sounds good Ken.. Have you figured out how to workaround the speed limiter? Seems like that kit should be good for 28 mph in pedal assist? 20 mph is nice, more is better!

Can the SRAM gearset on this bike (XU700 165) be replaced with a Shimano System with perhaps two front sprockets??

As long as they are both 10 speeds, you can interchange. It gets more complicated if one is 9 or 11 speed and the other is 10 speed.
SRAM double tap uses 35% more cable length (cable pull, I mean) than the shimano and hence you will have to change the rear derailleur. But they are compatible, SRAM claims it works best only with SRAM components but we all know that it's just marketing.

As long as they are both 10 speeds, you can interchange. It gets more complicated if one is 9 or 11 speed and the other is 10 speed.
SRAM double tap uses 35% more cable length (cable pull, I mean) than the shimano and hence you will have to change the rear derailleur. But they are compatible, SRAM claims it works best only with SRAM components but we all know that it's just marketing.
I plan on installing a total XTR DI2 electronic shifting system so the gearsets, cranks, derailleurs, shifters will all change. Thank you for the info. Is it easy to enter the codes necessary to remove the 20-mph limiter?

I plan on installing a total XTR DI2 electronic shifting system so the gearsets, cranks, derailleurs, shifters will all change. Thank you for the info. Is it easy to enter the codes necessary to remove the 20-mph limiter?

The bike comes delimited and reaches 28mph easily.
BionX kits are limited to 20mph but OHM bikes are set to reach 28mph.
Cost of XTR Di2 is approx equal to the cost of this bike !

I got to ride the bike yesterday and did not like it at all. The bike is beautiful and the D500 is smooth and quiet. What I did not like was the geometry. It is a comfort commuter bike with a rather sit up riding position with a small flat bar. Call me nuts at my age but I prefer a longer reach to the bars and a more aggressive riding position. I must admit the bike was very well built. Ohm should sell a lot of them.

I got to ride the bike yesterday and did not like it at all. The bike is beautiful and the D500 is smooth and quiet. What I did not like was the geometry. It is a comfort commuter bike with a rather sit up riding position with a small flat bar. Call me nuts at my age but I prefer a longer reach to the bars and a more aggressive riding position. I must admit the bike was very well built. Ohm should sell a lot of them.

Did you ride the commuter version or the XU700-165?
The commuter version has slightly smaller handlebar and narrower Big Ben tires.

No Lenny, I did not ride the 165. I rode the XU700. Is there a difference in geometry? They look identical on their website spec page.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could change the torso lean angle, then that would be acceptable to me. Does this require a new stem and will it affect the balance of the bike?? I thought a medium frame would be acceptable but I rode the large and it works for me without any problems. Perhaps I might take a chance if I know that some slight mods will work.

It looks like the XU 700 series bikes have non adjustable stems, so you would need to change the stem. However, if you chose to do that, then stems also come in different lengths as well as some also being adjustable which could help you feel more comfortable and stretched out over the bike. Most stems are fairly easy to replace and don't require removing everything off the handlebars to do it. There's generally a set of bolts on the top of the stem to remove and the primary expander bolt that goes into the head tube to loosen and its done! The Urban series was designed to be more upright position for the rider, so as long as the handling of the bike is good for you and the larger frame feels better, why worry! Just make sure that if you choose to change the stem that once installed, with you on the bike in your normal riding position, that when you look down at the front wheel the front hub appears to be either invisible because the view is blocked by the handlebars or appears to be slightly in front of the handlebars. Then your steering will feel natural. With a too small frame or overlong stem, if the front wheel hub seems to be behind the handlebars with the rider on the bike then this represents as disproportionate balance of rider weight forward and the bike will feel like it has poor or kinda squirrely handling (called understeering). I'm sure the bike fit kit guys have other more technical terms, but on an ebike it's more about what specifically works for you.

Sounds good Ken.. Have you figured out how to workaround the speed limiter? Seems like that kit should be good for 28 mph in pedal assist? 20 mph is nice, more is better!
Assist level is unlimited only throttle is limited.

Hello Ken

Thanks
I have tried over the last year and prior to the Ohm a couple of center drives but not the Haibike, which based on the reviews I should try... But over the last 3 years I've gotten used to the throttle and now with the Bionx 500, the regen which center drives can't have so I think I'm hooked!

Back