Xiaomi’s $425 backpack-sized folding electric bike

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
An interesting concept... very clever, but not my cup of tea. ;)

The Himo H1 was designed to be the ultimate portable EV. It can fold to the size of an A3 sheet of paper and fit inside of a backpack. On the functional side, it more closely matches the specs of many standing scooters than e-bikes. The small wheels won’t do ride comfort any favors, but then again neither do most scooter wheels.

The whole bike only weighs 14.5 kg (32 lb) yet gets an advertised range of 30 km (18 miles) from its 270 Wh removable battery.

And if that range doesn’t quite add up to you, consider that it might be so efficient because it isn’t moving very fast. The Himo H1 reaches a top speed of just 18 km/h (11 mph).

That means this isn’t designed to be a long-distance commuter, but more likely a quick trip bike. Think campus cruiser, not cross country trekking. And its small size means you can bring it places that you couldn’t with a typical e-bike or e-scooter. You can literally stick it in your backpack and never have to worry about coming back to a broken lock and a missing bike.

I can also see it as a great option to keep in your car. It takes up less space than a spare tire and would serve as a great last-mile vehicle — almost like the way larger boats carry a dinghy.

1585708399540.png
1585708424465.png

Kind of goofy. Probably get run over if used in traffic. That's going to limit its usage when things get back to normal.

I believe I'd rather walk then carry anything that heavy, or at least over a 1/4 of a mile in distance.

Back