wow! this forum not friendly :(

Wanderbikes is no longer....that's why the bikes are for sale. I actually rented from them last fall and almost bought one of their Stromer's. I want to say they were asking around $1800 or so maybe even closer to $2000 for used fleet sales at the time. The bikes were in good shape and there are NO HILLS along the lakefront of Chicago. I think they were only in business for one maybe 2 seasons....so that mileage is not bad. I know it doesn't have warranty but that's a pretty attractive price for a really solid bike. The city kit alone is $360 since that one has the cheaper B&M light instead of the SuperNova.

If the person owned a fleet of Stromer rental bikes he was able to get replacement parts for dealer cost - see if he can order a new battery at that price and and sell it to you for what he just paid for it.
That's actually a great idea I hadn't considered. Would you have an idea about difference of dealer cost as opposed to retail?

Craigslist shows the Elites in this fleet selling for $1000 plus $200 extra for a second used battery. Indicates the rental company was Wanderbikes.com offering tours and rentals in Chicago. In the plus column, Chicago is flat, which translates into less wear and tear on the motor. It might be worth considering buying the bike without the extra battery and using the $200 savings as a down payment on a new battery when the old one is shot. I would check out the brake pads and rotors and anything else that my need replacing, find out what parts and labor are, let that inform your decision on how much you are willing to pay. Negotiation is always an option. The seller's price point will take into account the original cost of inventory versus number of rentals times how much they charged per rental. Your price point should be what you think the fair market value should be for a rental bike of this age, quality and mileage (and whether you can trust the mileage). Before you buy, rent the bike for a day and see how it performs on Chicago's lakefront bike paths, including the used battery's range Ask upfront to have the rental charge applied to the purchase price if you decide to buy it. If you decide not to buy it, chalk it up to a great day riding an ebike in the Windy City!
Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, BTB. I really wish I would have come here before discussing the bike purchase with them. Some really good info from here.

Wanderbikes is no longer....that's why the bikes are for sale. I actually rented from them last fall and almost bought one of their Stromer's. I want to say they were asking around $1800 or so maybe even closer to $2000 for used fleet sales at the time. The bikes were in good shape and there are NO HILLS along the lakefront of Chicago. I think they were only in business for one maybe 2 seasons....so that mileage is not bad. I know it doesn't have warranty but that's a pretty attractive price for a really solid bike. The city kit alone is $360 since that one has the cheaper B&M light instead of the SuperNova.
Yeah, in pretty conflicted at this point. I'm tempted to contact him and tell him I'm still interested, but also found some sweet deals in Wisconsin with a warranty....given its not for the St1, but still some great deals. My one fear is other issues per age along with having to get a new battery.

@BTB do you know how old those bikes are that this rental company is selling? Most rental companies keep their bikes for one season, maybe two so could ask a little higher price. A 3+ year old rental bike is not a bargain at $12oo no matter what brand it is.

Craigslist doesn't say, but Daniel thinks the Elite he is looking at is vintage 2013.

On a separate note, there is the question of whether Wanderbikes had to close down due to the Illinois low speed electric bike law. It allows unlicensed ebikes on the street provided they do not exceed 20mph, but otherwise prohibits operating ebikes on sidewalks in Illinois. It's possible that the Chicago lakefront bike paths may be considered sidewalks for such purpose. Whether your average Stromer rider could avoid a ticket is one thing, but a rental company could run into an existential issue either with the police or with the company's liability insurance carrier, to the extent Illinois law conflicts with a bike path based business model. I'm not saying that was the case here, but it would be interesting to find out if Illinois law became an issue.

@BTB do you know how old those bikes are that this rental company is selling? Most rental companies keep their bikes for one season, maybe two so could ask a little higher price. A 3+ year old rental bike is not a bargain at $12oo no matter what brand it is.
That's what I keep coming around to....the more I research ebikes, the more nervous I get about no warranty. It's a beautiful bike that's maxed with features, but no warranty and engine failure is 1400 hundred, while new battery is almost 800...it's definitely something that would play on my mind daily. Now I can say that I am yet to see a 2013 elite that is priced even half ad well as these.....with the xtra battery, adding the city kit, and with a saddle bag, he selling a 6700 mile elite for 1k, and he throwing a helmet in......very tempting :(

I didn't get the feeling that Wanderbikes had to close down due to Illinois Law. Chicago lakefront trail has tourists riding Segways on sidewalks with no issue. However I had never heard of an Illinois Low Speed Electric Bike Law before so what do I know. :-0

I didn't get the feeling that Wanderbikes had to close down due to Illinois Law. Chicago lakefront trail has tourists riding Segways on sidewalks with no issue. However I had never heard of an Illinois Low Speed Electric Bike Law before so what do I know. :-0
Uh oh.....I wasn't aware of such a law here. I do hope that I'm at least allowed 20mph. Lol

If you get a ST1 Platinum - just keep the speed under 20 mph when you're on a path or area that has a speed limit. I've riden my Platinum for three years all over my county and on fire roads in my area, but I keep the speed down to a safe, comfortable, and legal speed, and never ride like an azz - although I open it up on roads where it's legal

@JackStraw , when Segway first started its business, they sent lobbyists with deep pockets to all 50 states' legislations and had laws crafted that specifically benefit their product (and Asian clones). It allows sidewalk access that may not be allowed to other scooters or bikes. In Texas and Austin specifically, the transportation code doesn't allow bikes or scooters on sidewalks in the downtown business district and a few other high pedestrian traffic areas; however, Segways are allowed. This ultimately helped when we were working on making ebikes legal like bikes in our state with the support of federal laws that were already in place. So it's a mixed bag. The laws probably do prohibit bikes on sidewalks in your state but there's the special status granted to Segways. :rolleyes:

@Ann M. - In my town bicycles are allowed to ride on sidewalks if they are being ridden by children 13 years old or younger. I have not seen a Segway in my area........

This is the 3rd time I've posted what seems like a fairly simple question for people more educated on ebikes and the St1 than myself to the forum and received zero advice :( i have till Tuesday for the offer on this bike and would really appreciate any advice/ opinion from those more knowledgeable than me. A family business her in Chicago is selling their rental fleet of Stromer st1 Elites .....the bike I'm looking at is the model without suspension (I think the newer 2013 model) , and has 1674 miles on the odomoter, some physical scuffing, but seems to ride nice (by my limited knowledge)....there is no warranty and he is throwing in an additional battery from another st1 (also used)....the bikes have full city kits, saddle bag, and helmet.....I am getting all this for 1200 dollars, but I'm more concerned about longevity of the bike. sounds like a great deal but for 1500 I could get a new radwagon/ radrover with a warranty. Am I being presented a great offer? Please help, and thanks in advance

That's not typical for this group.there are alot of nice people who try to communicate with others. Maybe it was a busy weekend for many people. You are always welcome to start a conversation with someone who obviously knows what they are doing. Click on their picture and you will find more info. Choose, "start a conversation " and send. :)

Back