wow! this forum not friendly :(

This is the 3rd time I've posted what seems like a fairly simple question for people more educated on ebikes and the St1 than myself to the forum and received zero advice :( i have till Tuesday for the offer on this bike and would really appreciate any advice/ opinion from those more knowledgeable than me. A family business her in Chicago is selling their rental fleet of Stromer st1 Elites .....the bike I'm looking at is the model without suspension (I think the newer 2013 model) , and has 1674 miles on the odomoter, some physical scuffing, but seems to ride nice (by my limited knowledge)....there is no warranty and he is throwing in an additional battery from another st1 (also used)....the bikes have full city kits, saddle bag, and helmet.....I am getting all this for 1200 dollars, but I'm more concerned about longevity of the bike. sounds like a great deal but for 1500 I could get a new radwagon/ radrover with a warranty. Am I being presented a great offer? Please help, and thanks in advance

The ST1 is a great bike. If it is used I think the main concern would be the battery. There is a limited number of charges that the battery is good for and I seem to remember someone mentioning that the chemistry is good for about 3 years. The amount of charge the battery can hold will decrease over time so you may experience reduced range.

The ST1 is a great bike. If it is used I think the main concern would be the battery. There is a limited number of charges that the battery is good for and I seem to remember someone mentioning that the chemistry is good for about 3 years. The amount of charge the battery can hold will decrease over time so you may experience reduced range.

Thanks greatly for the response, Brian. That really gives me something to consider, since the bike is a 2013 model....The battery replacement would run me 700 dollars. It would almost be better to purchase a 1500 new Radrover / Radwagon.

Even if it is a 2013 model, it may have sat at the dealer for some time before being sold. The battery might be quite good but the only way to tell would be to fully charge it and ride it to see what the range is like. I have a 2014 St1 with 3 batteries and they are all working nearly like new. The price seems quite good but assumes the batteries are functional.

BTW, do you know the difference between the Elite and Platinum ST1 models? The Elite has a lower top speed but more torque for hills. I have the St1 Platinum.

Even if it is a 2013 model, it may have sat at the dealer for some time before being sold. The battery might be quite good but the only way to tell would be to fully charge it and ride it to see what the range is like. I have a 2014 St1 with 3 batteries and they are all working nearly like new. The price seems quite good but assumes the batteries are functional.
That's a good point I didn't consider, Brian. He stated he's had it for a couple years, but was unsure of a lot partly based on the rental aspects of the bike, and having so many to juggle. I rode it for about 20 minutes with no problem, but have no real frame of reference based on my limited experience with ebikes. The battery is an 11 and he is tossing in a also used 14 along with it.

BTW, do you know the difference between the Elite and Platinum ST1 models? The Elite has a lower top speed but more torque for hills. I have the St1 Platinum.
I read that somewhere, and would prefer the Elite based on hills, along with speed restrictions / budget. They really do seem like nicely made bikes.

@daniel2ride , a 5 year old lithium battery is not going to have much capacity or range and given that this bike and the other battery were part of a rental fleet, you would be responsible for the cost of any repairs and parts. That can add up in a hurry! The ST1's are a nice ride, but you don't know the actual age of this bike (should be encoded as part of the bike's serial # but those can be cryptic) and no warranty. Think about the longer term costs of this used bike and compare that to the price of a brand new ebike that comes with a warranty before you buy.
You'll find a lot of resources through this forum, do have a little patience :)

@daniel2ride , a 5 year old lithium battery is not going to have much capacity or range and given that this bike and the other battery were part of a rental fleet, you would be responsible for the cost of any repairs and parts. That can add up in a hurry! The ST1's are a nice ride, but you don't know the actual age of this bike (should be encoded as part of the bike's serial # but those can be cryptic) and no warranty. Think about the longer term costs of this used bike and compare that to the price of a brand new ebike that comes with a warranty before you buy.
You'll find a lot of resources through this forum, do have a little patience :)
Thanks for the reply, Ann, your post is greatly appreciated. The bike is a 2013 model, so I think the battery is about 3 years old. From your post it sounds like it would be a bad idea?.......I'm assuming you would not purchase it if in my position?

Daniel, I owned a Stromer elite for 3 years and 4000 miles... Never had a problem with it, not even one, and when I sold it, the couple that bought it couldn't understand why I was sell it .. It was in perfect condition.. I just like new toys! That bike got a lot of TLC, and I sold it for the same price as your are getting.

That being said, I WOULD NEVER BUY A RENTAL BIKE WITH NO WARRANTY, unless it was a complete giveaway.. $1200 is not a give away for a 3 year old rental bike.

The cost of replacing that motor is over $600. That battery is just about finished, and who wants to ride around with a 2nd battery, when both both batteries are just about shot? No one. And the bike probably has a lot of cosmetic damage.. Who wants that?

I would suggest you shop for dealer demos or used bikes on CL etc, from people who really took excellent care of their bike.

Been an ebike dealer and repair center for 14+ years and had a modest rental fleet, too. You don't know how folks treat rental bikes; some came back in nice shape but a number of times they didn't, so buying a rental bike that's 3 years old is risky. Daniel, you wrote 2011 for one battery, that's pretty old and won't have much range. Is that date correct on that battery? Even a used 2014 battery can have reduced capacity if the bike was ridden until almost empty.

I agree with JoePah's statement above.

Been an ebike dealer and repair center for 14+ years and had a modest rental fleet, too. You don't know how folks treat rental bikes; some came back in nice shape but a number of times they didn't, so buying a rental bike that's 3 years old is risky. Daniel, you wrote 2011 for one battery, that's pretty old and won't have much range. Is that date correct on that battery? Even a used 2014 battery can have reduced capacity if the bike was ridden until almost empty.

Daniel, I owned a Stromer elite for 3 years and 4000 miles... Never had a problem with it, not even one, and when I sold it, the couple that bought it couldn't understand why I was sell it .. It was in perfect condition.. I just like new toys! That bike got a lot of TLC, and I sold it for the same price as your are getting.

That being said, I WOULD NEVER BUY A RENTAL BIKE WITH NO WARRANTY, unless it was a complete giveaway.. $1200 is not a give away for a 3 year old rental bike.

The cost of replacing that motor is over $600. That battery is just about finished, and who wants to ride around with a 2nd battery, when both both batteries are just about shot? No one. And the bike probably has a lot of cosmetic damage.. Who wants that?

I would suggest you shop for dealer demos or used bikes on CL etc, from people who really took excellent care of their bike.

Great response, and thanks for that information. I think I'll exercise patience, and put away for something new that has a warranty. Thanks so much!

Hello, Ann, and 2011 was an error on my part, the battery I'd assume as 2013. Thanks for the information. I think I'll hold off on the purchase for a ebike with a warranty....The Elite was a thing of joy to ride though.

I own a 2013 ST! Platinum and love it. I just replaced my 14.5 Ah battery and the bike is just a good as new. I'd see if the bike shop would give you a new battery at their cost - then I would seriously consider buying that bike.

I own a 2013 ST! Platinum and love it. I just replaced my 14.5 Ah battery and the bike is just a good as new. I'd see if the bike shop would give you a new battery at their cost - then I would seriously consider buying that bike.
Thanks for the reply. Not sure if we have any Stromer shops here in Chicago.

The Elite is limited to 20mph correct? That would be a deal breaker for me since I want a bike that can cruise at 28mph. For $1500 you can get a Juiced Bikes Cross Current that will theoretically do 28mph. I would factor the cost of a new battery into your purchase decision. I can say that the shifters and brakes are pretty easy to adjust/maintain so don't be worried about that.

The Elite is limited to 20mph correct? That would be a deal breaker for me since I want a bike that can cruise at 28mph. For $1500 you can get a Juiced Bikes Cross Current that will theoretically do 28mph. I would factor the cost of a new battery into your purchase decision. I can say that the shifters and brakes are pretty easy to adjust/maintain so don't be worried about that.
I can definitely get by on 20mph, but an additional 800 for a new battery on a 3 year old rental bike is a little rough..almost seems as if that 2k would be best put for a new bike with warranty. It wouldn't be a Stromer, but there is a lot to be said about peace of mind.

Craigslist shows the Elites in this fleet selling for $1000 plus $200 extra for a second used battery. Indicates the rental company was Wanderbikes.com offering tours and rentals in Chicago. In the plus column, Chicago is flat, which translates into less wear and tear on the motor. It might be worth considering buying the bike without the extra battery and using the $200 savings as a down payment on a new battery when the old one is shot. I would check out the brake pads and rotors and anything else that my need replacing, find out what parts and labor are, let that inform your decision on how much you are willing to pay. Negotiation is always an option. The seller's price point will take into account the original cost of inventory versus number of rentals times how much they charged per rental. Your price point should be what you think the fair market value should be for a rental bike of this age, quality and mileage (and whether you can trust the mileage). Before you buy, rent the bike for a day and see how it performs on Chicago's lakefront bike paths, including the used battery's range Ask upfront to have the rental charge applied to the purchase price if you decide to buy it. If you decide not to buy it, chalk it up to a great day riding an ebike in the Windy City!

Back