Winter Biking Advice From A Minnesotan

Excellent, very thorough write up! I want to put in another word for merino wool ("Smart Wool" is the brand you mention). I wear it under my dry suit when kayaking, even in the summer. One of its advantages is that it doesn't stink after you sweat in it, unlike polyester or polypropylene, which reek to high heaven. And for a middle layer, I like ordinary wool, as it keeps you warm even when wet. Cotton, of course, is the worst.

Interesting to me that you mention pogies, as they are often used around here for winter kayaking. The advantage for me (I don't like gloves when paddling) is that my hands can be on the bare paddle shaft for better control. I've learned to avoid pogies with a soft, flexible wrist, as getting your hand in there, especially if your hands are wet, can be very difficult. I now only use neoprene (wet suit material) pogies for this reason.

Auto correct hates the word pogies, I notice. It likes ponies better than pogies.

I can’t imagine riding on ice anymore. Just too old and fragile! Don’t wanna break a hip!😵

We don't have seasons in California... when does real Winter begin in Minnesota? ;)
It started last week! 😉
I think they did actually have a major snowfall already! Coldest I’ve ever been was in January in Mlps. It was like -50F and wind chill was like -75F.🥶

We don't have seasons in California... when does real Winter begin in Minnesota? ;)
Next week!
1601051704644.png

Thats a good time to stay home with hot chocolate and watch TCM
This happened back in the early 70s before cable tv or TCM. In fact, it was so friggen cold that when my brother finally got a tow truck to jumpstart his VW so we could drive home, it shattered the main oil seal!

Did alot of winter biking as a younger man, and yes it is serious business . Well thought out and comprehensive post, hope it helps people make good decisions.

I can't wait for this coming winter to come, so I can see what it's like! Just got into biking and always thought winters were off limits.

Thank you for your posts and tips! We don't get too cold here but doing the trails in winter will be nice and refreshing for me.

One more tip: I do a lot of off road biking in the snow on my e fat bike. Tire pressures 2-3 PSI on tubeless full studded Wazia 26X4.8" tires.

When the snow get up to the motor I lower my seat post and put my feet out to the side and use the throttle. Pedaling in deep snow upsets the balance due to the fact that one side is always digging a divot in the snow as the pedals go down into the snow. Keeping the pedals level and using throttle with your feet out to the side lets you balance much better. Even so you will still take a slow motion digger sometimes when entering much deeper snow. If the back wheel spins you're cooked so use a taller gear on mid drives.
I have insulating covers for the batteries to keep them warmer. I use the sub zero Orange seal in the tires. I can use as much as 50 watt hours per mile of battery power.
DivotIMG_1737.JPG shown here.

Winter riding wannabe here. What kind of insulating cover do you have, K PierreR? I just read my battery shouldn’t be run under temps under 30 degrees, which is most of the winter here in Minn…….

Excellent, very thorough write up! I want to put in another word for merino wool ("Smart Wool" is the brand you mention). I wear it under my dry suit when kayaking, even in the summer. One of its advantages is that it doesn't stink after you sweat in it, unlike polyester or polypropylene, which reek to high heaven. And for a middle layer, I like ordinary wool, as it keeps you warm even when wet. Cotton, of course, is the worst.

Interesting to me that you mention pogies, as they are often used around here for winter kayaking. The advantage for me (I don't like gloves when paddling) is that my hands can be on the bare paddle shaft for better control. I've learned to avoid pogies with a soft, flexible wrist, as getting your hand in there, especially if your hands are wet, can be very difficult. I now only use neoprene (wet suit material) pogies for this reason.

Auto correct hates the word pogies, I notice. It likes ponies better than pogies.
There is nothing better than merino wool. Expensive though unless you can find on eBay or Marketplace. All of my wool is from iBex which went out of business. They have since reopened but have less than half of a selection than before. Their wool is washable and you can put it in the dryer. I have never had any shrinkage. However, I bought one piece of Icebreaker merino and it shrunk two sizes in the dryer. I have about 15 pair of Smartwool socks and have never had any shrinkage.

Filson has a lot of wool items of which I have a couple, very expensive and without a doubt can’t be washed.

There is nothing better than merino wool.
AND I find it has incredible bacteria control properties. If an active day and my wool Thorlo expedition socks get a bit stinky. My Darn Tough merino wool are odor-free. AND they have a replacement warranty. 20 pairs of wool Thorlo and most have blown out or soon the be failed heels.

My merino balaclava is essential Minnesota gear.

The new trike will have a winter fairing. Not my trike but my fairing will be VERY similar.
Battery heater and it's own battery pack ready.
Winter riding wannabe here. What kind of insulating cover do you have, K PierreR? I just read my battery shouldn’t be run under temps under 30 degrees, which is most of the winter here in Minn…….
Warm enough today! And streets in Winona are free of ice. Lots of ACF50 is needed to keep the slat at bay!
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.56.04 PM.png

Most battery manufacturers advise not to charge batteries outdoors in temperatures below 30 something. For Bosch that temperature is 35.

It is okay to "run" the battery in temps below freezing. I have kept extensive records since purchasing my ebike. The batteries range is effected by colder temperatures. I see a 15-20% decrease in range from warmer months to colder months.

In January 2022 I began charging the battery indoors to protect the battery per the manufacturer (Bosch). I have seen no difference in range by charging the battery indoors.

December 2021 the average temperature was 34.5. The battery was being charged outdoors in my shed. The average projected range was 45.58
January 2022 the average temperature was 24.8. The battery was being charged indoors in my house. The average projected range was 44.31.
February 2022 the average temperature was 24.6. The battery was being charged indoors in my house. The average projected range was 44.24.

So January and February 2022 was 10 degrees colder than December 2021. The range was consistent over the three month period whether the battery was charged indoors or outdoors.

I have attached three months of data from my rides.

The computer in the battery is very smart. It will give a projected range for each ride and it is generally within a couple of miles of the actual range attained. Granted there are lots of variables such a wind, hills, boost, etc. but in general the battery computer projects distance at the beginning and during the ride very accurately.

The battery in my Trek keeps track of a lot of data. It has a temperature sensor that collects data on the battery when charging. I got a printout of part of the data that is available. I have attached several pictures of that data printout.

Attachments

• bosch battery data 1.jpg
    bosch battery data 1.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 154
  • bosch battery data 2.jpg
    bosch battery data 2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 155
  • jan 2022 ebike data.jpg
    jan 2022 ebike data.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 173
  • dec 2021 ebike data.jpg
    dec 2021 ebike data.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 161
  • feb 2022 ebike data.jpg
    feb 2022 ebike data.jpg
    876.6 KB · Views: 158
Most battery manufacturers advise not to charge batteries outdoors in temperatures below 30 something. For Bosch that temperature is 35.

It is okay to "run" the battery in temps below freezing. I have kept extensive records since purchasing my ebike. The batteries range is effected by colder temperatures. I see a 15-20% decrease in range from warmer months to colder months.

In January 2022 I began charging the battery indoors to protect the battery per the manufacturer (Bosch). I have seen no difference in range by charging the battery indoors.

December 2021 the average temperature was 34.5. The battery was being charged outdoors in my shed. The average projected range was 45.58
January 2022 the average temperature was 24.8. The battery was being charged indoors in my house. The average projected range was 44.31.
February 2022 the average temperature was 24.6. The battery was being charged indoors in my house. The average projected range was 44.24.

So January and February 2022 was 10 degrees colder than December 2021. The range was consistent over the three month period whether the battery was charged indoors or outdoors.

I have attached three months of data from my rides.

The computer in the battery is very smart. It will give a projected range for each ride and it is generally within a couple of miles of the actual range attained. Granted there are lots of variables such a wind, hills, boost, etc. but in general the battery computer projects distance at the beginning and during the ride very accurately.

The battery in my Trek keeps track of a lot of data. It has a temperature sensor that collects data on the battery when charging. I got a printout of part of the data that is available. I have attached several pictures of that data printout.
The battery charge is not affected regarding at what temperature it is charged. However, charging below the freezing point is dangerous and bad for the battery health.
Otherwise, your observations are very interesting!
I totally agree the range significantly drops at low temps.

As it has turned out, I've been battling infections all winter so my trike has been languishing in the garage since fall. But I've taken the opportunity to take a look at the plowing situation around here and it is not bad for cars but not something I'd want to attempt with a trike. When I was younger and more courageous, I rode all year long, but advancing years and titanium knees have made me much more cautious than I used to be.... I really appreciate all the wonderful information in here, though!

As it has turned out, I've been battling infections all winter so my trike has been languishing in the garage since fall. But I've taken the opportunity to take a look at the plowing situation around here and it is not bad for cars but not something I'd want to attempt with a trike. When I was younger and more courageous, I rode all year long, but advancing years and titanium knees have made me much more cautious than I used to be.... I really appreciate all the wonderful information in here, though!
Streets are ice and snow-free in SE MN. Riding! WHOO HOO!!!

Back