Winter Biking Advice From A Minnesotan

People in Norway don't use studded or fat tires during the winter. Riding in winter is about being prepared and having multiple routes and knowing snow/ice melting rate on different routes.
Now where's the fun in that!? ;)
GH011396_Moment4 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Good true winter tires (those designed properly and made from low temperature rubber, and not just knobby tires) will work in quite a variety of conditions but generally are best suited when the snow is wet or on hard packed dry snow. When the snow isn't too deep relatively narrow winter tires (as opposed to wider off road knobbies) will often grip well as they tend to displace less snow and maintain more contact with the solid surface beneath the snow. A good winter design will have sipes (small slits) that help increase grip on slipperier surfaces and be made with the low temperature rubber that will better maintain it's suppleness in freezing conditions (further helping the grip).

If however, you have to regularly ride in icy conditions there really is no substitute for studded winter tires. Studded tires make sense even in winter conditions where the streets are usually bare there can often be "re freeze" when snow piled at the side of the roadway/paths melts during the day and re freezes in the evening. The re frozen areas are often very flat and slick and are not clearly seen (black ice conditions) and having studs gives you a lot more confidence in holding a line with other traffic around.

Many of the fat tire bikes come with tires with fewer "knobs" compared to more traditionally sized off road (MTB) tires. These tires work well in warmer conditions but often have real issues on slushy or wet snow conditions. Here true winter fat tires work better in a wide variety of snow/slush conditions. The real "fun" starts when you have studded winter fat tires (but they are seriously expensive, often to the tune of 1/3 to sometimes 1/2 the price of the entire ebike). These tires will work in the widest range of winter conditions where nothing else will get you through with real confidence.

this is what works for me. I had to try a bunch of base layers to find what worked almost all poly but I did a few in wool too. I liked the wool but it was not any better but it was a lot more expensive. The thing is there is a huge variety of poly shirts from ones that will keep you hot to ones that will actually keep you cool. I found that out on these compression shirts I got off amazon on clearance. they would actually make me feel cold and I could not wear them in winter. but they were more tight then I wanted to have in summer. So I use one of these 360 degree base layer they often go on sale from cosco. then a poly long sleeve tee shirt or or a 50/50 sweatshirt. I think last year when I had the fleece lined waterproof pants I kept far warmer. I think I just used the tees last year and maybe the sweater on the coldest days but I cant remember for sure. but this combo I can put on in them origin and take them off then I go to bed without roasting in the house. wearing the pants really made my body stay warmer. and it was a first over wearing jeans all winter before. this worked great with a showers pass jacket their top one but the jacket does not breathe well and it would get damp from riding so many times in the rain. so this year a good goretex jacket. on weekends I would wear the base layer and a winter jersey and the jacket depending on the temps
IMG_0947.jpeg

Wow, sorry you're just wrong. That's an outrageous statement.

Like Albuquerque, NM has 4-5 months of snow? Or Kumanawannalaya HI? Dipping into the Maui Maui?

SuomiTyres studs will keep you going.​

We know both winter and cycling very well. We’re the only manufacturer of studded bicycle tyres in Scandinavia. May your family jewels never crash-land on the tube, and your riding lines always remain smooth."

They use studded tyres on their cars.
2EB7341B-7C39-4E11-B8D8-2F091E49E166.jpeg

Just got my bar mitts installed, a bit bulkier than I expected but we’ll see how they work on Thursday when I ride to the office!

I bought some Barr mitts but they are just too cumbersome and would be a pain to deal with day to day. .
There are a lot a different sizes. I adapted a pair of quite inexpensive ones sold for snow-maggots and carefully “fixed” them with a soldering iron. Melting needed holes.

Re: bar mitts, they are a pain, but they aren't required for everyday riding. Maybe think more along the lines of for use when you're wondering why the h*ll am I going riding on a day like this? We used to use them on the snowmobiles at around -20F and colder. With the handlebar heaters, big bulky gloves/mittens no longer necessary. A light pair worked just fine!! Made the bar mitts almost worth the trouble....

Re: bar mitts, they are a pain, but they aren't required for everyday riding. Maybe think more along the lines of for use when you're wondering why the h*ll am I going riding on a day like this? We used to use them on the snowmobiles at around -20F and colder. With the handlebar heaters, big bulky gloves/mittens no longer necessary. A light pair worked just fine!! Made the bar mitts almost worth the trouble....
Good call! I think I will wait to use them for those types of days. My Thursday ride is forecast at 36 degrees at 7AM which seems like a good pair of gloves will still work just fine, total commute is under 20 minutes so don't get all that cold and right when I get uncomfortable, I can see my office.

Good call! I think I will wait to use them for those types of days. My Thursday ride is forecast at 36 degrees at 7AM which seems like a good pair of gloves will still work just fine, total commute is under 20 minutes so don't get all that cold and right when I get uncomfortable, I can see my office.
One trick we employed was regarding the elastic that they normally have on the small end. This always caused sort of a battle getting them installed - especially when it was REALLY cold! Somebody in our group finally got smart and replaced the elastic with shoe strings that could easily be tied/untied. Wasn't long before all of us adopted that idea. WAY easier installing them....

The thought of sharing icy roads with cars is too scary for me. For the cost of the cold weather clothing alone you can buy a nice exercise bike.
Don't blame you, not even a little. I won't share them even when it's warm out....

One trick we employed was regarding the elastic that they normally have on the small end. This always caused sort of a battle getting them installed - especially when it was REALLY cold! Somebody in our group finally got smart and replaced the elastic with shoe strings that could easily be tied/untied. Wasn't long before all of us adopted that idea. WAY easier installing them....
Great tip! Will give it shot this weekend to take the elastic off. I have a heated garage and park the bike inside my office so shouldn't ever be doing anything in extreme cold thankfully. Tried the bar mitts on Thursday and they work great! Just for fun, I went back to normal gloves this morning to see how it felt and my hands were much colder than with using the bar mitts! It was about 29 degrees on the dial this AM in Western Illinois and a bit colder since I ride on the river path. Will definitely be using the bar mitts going forward since they work so great!

Back