Wing Bikes Freedom new user review!

Arthas

00 Freedom_1.jpg
Hi guys! I bought a Wing Freedom bike and thought I'd share what I thought about it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them.

TL;DR
The Freedom is a solid E-bike with good specs to back up its striking looks. I’m happy with my purchase and hope that it will last through many years of enjoyable service.

Who am I?
I’m an enthusiastic biker (not to be confused with a bike enthusiast). I grew up in San Francisco riding up and down hills, over the Golden Gate bridge, and around parks. Throughout college, I biked to class with a backpack. Most of the bikes I've owned are mass-produced mountain bikes. If it wasn't broken, I was happy with it. I've ridden a few E-bikes of varying price-points, but the Freedom was the first I've bought.

I’m in my 30s now and haven’t been riding much in the last few years. I bought the Freedom with the goal of eventually riding it 12.5 miles to work a few times a week.

First, a disclaimer
I purchased the Freedom bike during the early bird special, along with the extended battery, fenders, and throttle. I paid it all completely out of pocket.

Wing has offered to potentially send me some accessories for writing a review. I personally feel that the thoughts I've expressed in this review are unbiased... to the level someone can be after buying shiny a new bike. Take that as you will.

Why did I choose the Freedom?
The four categories I considered when looking at E-bikes were capability, reliability, cost, and style. I was looking for a bike that had decent battery range (>40 miles) and power (>250 watts). I didn’t trust direct-from-China bikes, especially due to some of the battery stories I’ve read. I also did not want to spend over 2,000 USD.

Those restrictions alone would have still left me with many E-bike choices. But alas, I also wanted the bike to be pretty in my eyes. I personally like the horizontal tube styling and straight lines. It evokes a classic-modern feeling. In my opinion, most of the E-bikes out there look like a mangled scooter with ridiculous wheel-to-body proportions, or they have a giant tumorous battery clinging to the frame. I appreciate that the Freedom’s sleek in-line battery is visually unobtrusive while also being removable.

I considered a Vanmoof Electrified S for a very long time, as well as the HaiBike Urban Plus. In the end, the Freedom beat them in value and features.

Setting up
00 Freedom_setup.jpg
The Freedom arrived almost fully assembled in a giant box. All I had to do was install the front wheel, attach the handlebar, and pop in some components (seat, pedals, battery, fenders, extension bar). It came with all of the tools, which was a bonus. The online instructions were thorough and complete, but slightly disorganized. I’m sure they’ll refine it over time.

The front wheel and the seat post are secured by fasteners. They do not have quick-release levers and are not meant to be easily removed.

Overall, setup was breezy and took about 20 minutes. I had to adjust the brake line and the derailleur slightly before my first ride. The hardest part was installing the optional throttle. Sliding the handlebar grip off and on can be difficult! Use a bit of liquid soap with water if you’re having trouble.

How’s the fit & finish?
01 Freedom_ride_b.jpg
The matte black paintjob is beautifully spotless. There is no sign of unfinished metal surface. The leathery handlebar grips feel soft and premium. Most of the cables are thoughtfully wrapped in a cable manager and routed into the bike itself. The bike looks very classy and clean. Overall, the Freedom has great fit and finish. The only thing I’d do would be to zip-tie the cables to the handlebar a bit more (which is possible only after setup).

How does it ride?
02 Freedom_riding_b.jpg02 Freedom_riding.jpg
It rides like a disguised superhero! I got on the bike, started pedaling about a quarter turn, and the bike came to life. I noticed the motor kicking on. Fortunately, this wasn't jarring as the motor’s punch was absorbed by inertia. It felt like someone just got behind me and started pushing like when I was a kid (probably the result of a rear-hub motor setup). This feeling was trilling the first few times I experienced it, and quickly faded into unobtrusive background as I rode around.

The Freedom’s power assist is nimble, kicking in quickly as I start pedaling and cutting off shortly after I stop. On flat ground, even level 1 assist gets the bike going pretty fast...inhumanly fast if you’re used to non-assisted bikes. As my wife said, “The bad thing with the bike is that it makes going slow intolerably painful.” I find myself averaging much higher speeds. I can flexibly choose how much human power I put in via a combination of assist level, gear selection, and throttle. I find that this combination gives me pretty good control over how strenuous I want to be over a large variety of riding conditions.

When I ride with the assist turned off, the Freedom feels like a sturdy and well put together bike. It also weighs like it. I could feel even the slightest inclines transmitted into pedal resistance. The different assist levels effectively remove pedal resistance from steeper and steeper hills. I find myself cruising around town on level 0-2 assist. The assist makes hills significantly easier, but most of the time I still have to pedal to climb.

Using the Freedom in throttle mode (an optional purchase) feels like full-on cheating. It’s basically a scooter, except with a different seating arrangement. The throttle lever is spring loaded and activates different levels of boost depending on how far you push it. It is very fun to just cruise on full electric, and works well on flat-ish land. If you live in a hilly area and hope to use the Freedom in throttle-only mode, it’s not going to work well.

The Freedom has no shocks, but the beefy tires do a good job absorbing small bumps. The included saddle is acceptable, but I’m definitely replacing it with a wider softer alternative for commutes. I installed the included extension bar to make the handlebar higher, and they make riding much more upright and comfortable (I’m 6’0”).

The motor whirr is quiet, but noticeable at all assist levels. It doesn't bother me, but the sound and the visible battery pack will make it impossible to pretend that you’re a well-honed pedal machine as you breeze up hills. Oh well.

Everything else

LCD Display
03 Freedom_display.jpg

The display is minimalist and fulfills its role, displaying speed, odometry, boost level, and battery voltage over different screens. It doesn't look flashy enough to attract thieves, which is great. The rubber buttons feel flimsy and I’ve already scratched the plastic casing. If it does break, off-the-shelf replacements should be pretty easy to find and swap in.

Lights
04 Freedom_front.jpg05 Freedom_back.jpg

The built-in LED lights are sufficiently bright for night-time riding. The rear “red” lights are actually white LEDs behind a red lens. While this looks slightly strange, the rear lights are also significantly brighter this way.

Audible alarm
The Freedom has a built-in alarm with remote beepers. When the bike is disturbed, the alarm gives a few audible warnings. Continued disturbance triggers the wailing alarm, which is loud but not obnoxious. The alarm is pretty sensitive to vibration.

Horn
The bike comes with an electric horn! Press it, and the Freedom emits a nasaly beep, reminiscent of an antique car. It’s pretty cute, but I may eventually swap it for the classic bell.

Battery and charger
06 Freedom_battery.jpg

The battery locks into bike with a key and stays in position securely. Push a rubber coated button and a 4-LED battery indicator lights up to show how charged the battery is. Overall it looks well built and can probably handle only light water contact. The charger is a black brick the size of old laptop chargers. The single LED glows red when charging, and green when it’s done. Minimal but functional.

Last edited:
Hey there. I bought the same bike. Do you have any concerns about rain exposure, and if so, what do you plan on doing about that? I'm still not sure how much of an issue that will be as I plan on commuting on this bike rain or shine and parking in an exposed space while I'm at work. Maybe it will be fine, but the people at Wing recommended getting a full bike cover.

It doesn't rain very much where I live, so rain isn't too much of a concern. Certain parts are definitely not waterproof, like the display and battery receptacle. I would try to waterproof whatever seems to be vulnerable, take the battery with you, and make a cover of some sort to put over the battery receptacle when you're biking. The lights seem to be OK? I may try to weatherproof the seams.

Certain parts are definitely not waterproof

What if it’s raining and you want to ride to work? What if you get caught in a storm? My bike has been thoroughly soaked by rain, even when I didn’t plan to ride in rain. We can’t control the weather, after all... a decent ebike is an all weather bike. Weather-proofing shouldn’t be something that the buyer has to do. A full cover for parking on an outside rack to protect from rain shouldn’t be necessary. What does the warranty say about weather?

The throttle seems to be potentially vulnerable to water as well from some things I’ve been reading, concerning ebikes in general, not just this bike. I’ll have to take a closer look and see what I can do.

Ah yes, if you bought the throttle, it is not waterproof. You could disconnect it and shield the connection when it's raining..

...a decent ebike is an all weather bike. Weather-proofing shouldn’t be something that the buyer has to do. A full cover for parking on an outside rack to protect from rain shouldn’t be necessary. What does the warranty say about weather?

Not sure about the warranty language. Will have to check. I might just be a little paranoid about water, but I want to be on the safe side since I’m inexperienced with ebikes. Time will tell if it’s actually something to worry about in this case.

What if it’s raining and you want to ride to work? What if you get caught in a storm? My bike has been thoroughly soaked by rain, even when I didn’t plan to ride in rain. We can’t control the weather, after all... a decent ebike is an all weather bike. Weather-proofing shouldn’t be something that the buyer has to do. A full cover for parking on an outside rack to protect from rain shouldn’t be necessary. What does the warranty say about weather?

Being an electrical engineer, I tend to be on the skeptical side with waterproof electronics. I'm the type who doesn't believe in the IP ratings for new smartphones :) They may be IP67 right out of the factory, but a year later? Highly doubtful.

The Freedom can probably do fine with rain. The wire connectors are all socketed, and the battery connector is also, which should help. I haven't opened the battery pack to see if it has gaskets or not.

If certain electronics get wet, they may not show symptoms at first. Maybe you can find some off the shelf water resistant parts for it.

Maybe you can find some off the shelf water resistant parts for it.

I asked Wing out if curiosity if I could swap out the display or throttle with parts from elsewhere, and they said “For now only the throttle and display that we currently offer are compatible with our bikes. It's possible we may have upgrades in the future.”

Great review, though I'm curious what your thoughts are now after a few more weeks @Arthas & @MatthewLeonard. I'm highly considering selling (and by considering, I mean it's already up for sale on the appropriate sub forum) my current ebike for this one.

I found my bike to be amazing and fun but I also bought it online without testing it and realize now it's impractical to own in a city like NYC. So I'm hoping I can flip it for an ebike that resembles a city bike. Not that anyone asked lol.

Now that I've owned it a few weeks, I still enjoy it alot! It has been raining here (abnormally) so I haven't ridden it very much. I got the largest capacity battery. Most recently, I've ridden the Freedom mostly on shorter trips with days in between. The odometer read 32 miles before the battery died, probably over the period of two weeks. This is with level 1-2 mainly, with using boosts when starting and going up hills.

Since you're in NYC, I would suggest stopping by their physical store and giving it a shot! There is nothing better than trying it out yourself.

Which battery did you guys opt for? And how much mileage would you say you get out of it, using which mode?

I bought the smallest battery. Not sure but I think I got about 18-20 miles on a charge at level 4-5 power mostly before it gave out. I thought it still had some juice left, but it was low, when I took on a long sustained hill. The display was showing 2 bars on the battery which I think is like 20%. By the time I got to the top of the hill the e-assist stopped and I was just pedaling. At the top of the hill I turned the power off and back on, and then the motor was running again and showing 2 bars again going downhill. On the next slight uphill it gave out again. So I told myself I probably won’t let the battery get that low again. Which is ok for me because I ride about 10 mi per day and charging once a day is fine - that’ll be the routine from now on. I’m not sure if that kind of performance is typical when a battery gets low.

I bought the smallest battery. Not sure but I think I got about 18-20 miles on a charge at level 4-5 power mostly before it gave out. I thought it still had some juice left, but it was low, when I took on a long sustained hill. The display was showing 2 bars on the battery which I think is like 20%. By the time I got to the top of the hill the e-assist stopped and I was just pedaling. At the top of the hill I turned the power off and back on, and then the motor was running again and showing 2 bars again going downhill. On the next slight uphill it gave out again. So I told myself I probably won’t let the battery get that low again. Which is ok for me because I ride about 10 mi per day and charging once a day is fine - that’ll be the routine from now on. I’m not sure if that kind of performance is typical when a battery gets low.

Not sure about other brands, but that also happened to me. Nothing is wrong per se...just how the bike handles battery power. Just like how flashlights get dimmer when they run low on batteries, so will the power assist on the bike. Now, you can use fancy circuitry to prevent that, but I'm not sure how many e-bikes actually implement it.

Here's a technobabble explanation:
What's happening is that as the battery gets drained, the voltage drops. When it's ~30V, the power circuit cuts the battery out to prevent damage to the lithium cells (as ebikemom pointed out), powering the bike down. (As long as that protection circuit works, you don't have to worry about damaging the battery. There's a higher chance of battery damage due to over-charging, but most decently designed chargers prevent that also).

When the motor encounters more resistance (say going up a hill), it translates to higher electrical resistance, which can slump the battery voltage temporarily. This effect is much more noticeable when the battery is low, and can be large enough to temporarily trigger the battery cutoff circuit. Once the resistance is removed, the battery voltage will float back above the cutoff voltage, and the bike will power up again. Of course, if you keep biking, it will most likely happen again. Time to charge the battery up.

The little battery meter is reading the battery voltage. This is not the most effective method to gauge battery life, but is often implemented cause it's cheap & easy.

Our bikes are waterproof and can be ridden in the rain. All of our bikes are sealed to IP67 standards. Our bikes are designed for urban commuting and that includes dealing with mother nature.

Thanks for honestly mentioning that this is a paid review.
It is worth noting this was not a paid review. Arthur approached us after purchasing the bike and let us know he is a tech writer. He asked about writing an honest review in exchange for rack accessories and we agreed. We love our bikes and hope you will too.

Not sure about other brands, but that also happened to me. Nothing is wrong per se...just how the bike handles battery power. Just like how flashlights get dimmer when they run low on batteries, so will the power assist on the bike. Now, you can use fancy circuitry to prevent that, but I'm not sure how many e-bikes actually implement it.

Here's a technobabble explanation:
What's happening is that as the battery gets drained, the voltage drops. When it's ~30V, the power circuit cuts the battery out to prevent damage to the lithium cells (as ebikemom pointed out), powering the bike down. (As long as that protection circuit works, you don't have to worry about damaging the battery. There's a higher chance of battery damage due to over-charging, but most decently designed chargers prevent that also).

When the motor encounters more resistance (say going up a hill), it translates to higher electrical resistance, which can slump the battery voltage temporarily. This effect is much more noticeable when the battery is low, and can be large enough to temporarily trigger the battery cutoff circuit. Once the resistance is removed, the battery voltage will float back above the cutoff voltage, and the bike will power up again. Of course, if you keep biking, it will most likely happen again. Time to charge the battery up.

The little battery meter is reading the battery voltage. This is not the most effective method to gauge battery life, but is often implemented cause it's cheap & easy.

You’re spot on about the battery tech. The battery will shut itself off to protect itself from being too discharged, and the charger and battery also have overcharge protection, so you never need to worry about leaving it on the charger too long. It will stop the charging process once the light turns green.

We do use a voltage meter as the battery gauge, so initially the charge level may show to be higher on the display than the actual charge level. The display and battery will more accurately sync up the more you use the bike.

We highly recommend charging fully before each use if you can, there’s no harm in topping off the battery consistently.

Back