Wind speeds and your ride.

Up Town Walnut.
Tail wind are turbo fans propelled small dingy.
In Florida Everglade .
Dingy vs. dinghy. Here's a little ditty to help remember (note: this bit of doggerel was NOT written by artificial intelligence):

How dingy is the dinghy,
How peely is its paint;
Though it floats upon the water,
A haughty yacht it ain't.

Throttle equipped bikes work just fine while pedaling.
A good but totally wasted tale.

1687550898556.png

FYI, I typically ride 100 km in 4 h 30 minutes on a low power Vado SL. Because I am pedalling.

Here's something for that pea brain to digest. Throttle equipped bikes work just fine while pedaling.
Yeah he keeps beating that drum though it's been explained repeatedly that many use a throttle literally less than 0.1% of any days ride.
Deliberately obtuse as I find it hard to believe that anyone could be that stupid.... or can they? 🤔

The vanes move pretty slow but I couldn’t tell you the rpm. I’m sure it’s shut down when they worked on it. I retired about three years ago as a land surveyor and I spent more than half my time the last two years working on a 60 unit wind farm, mostly doing construction staking. I probably could have climbed one if I wanted, a coworker did, but I’m not a fan of heights.

I'm in PA . They line the ridges around here but I've never been close.

If we can swing this thread round to argue whether hub or mid drives are better in a stiff headwind we'll have the EBR trifecta™️. Good to see things haven't changed around here much 🙄

My motor render variables like gradient and fatigue non issues. Wind is one of the few factors left on my commute I'm acutely aware of (rain and traffic being a couple of the others).

A strong tailwind and I feel superhuman. A strong headwind, like yesterday's 45km/h breeze, I'm eternally grateful to have the motor doing most of the work.

My favourite are our coastal summer conditions, where I'll often have an offshore headwind riding to work which swings around to an onshore headwind riding home 😄

Last edited:
But wind is actually the thing besides hills that meant my ride had to have power. Yes I had a motorcycle once and know why a throttle is well worth having.

And I also know that I should not be riding above 45 or 50 mph on two wheels, so no scooters that go 80+ mph nowadays as my brother in law says his do.

The EBR trifecta : hills, headwinds, and hubdrives, or throttles, hubdrives, and trainers? IDK.

If we can swing this thread round to argue whether hub or mid drives are better in a stiff headwind we'll have the EBR trifecta™️. Good to see things haven't changed around here much 🙄

My motor render variables like gradient and fatigue non issues. Wind is one of the few factors left on my commute I'm acutely aware of (rain and traffic being a couple of the others).

A strong tailwind and I feel superhuman. A strong headwind, like yesterday's 45km/h breeze, I'm eternally grateful to have the motor doing most of the work.

My favourite are our coastal summer conditions, where I'll often have an offshore headwind riding to work which swings around to an onshore headwind riding home 😄
Kinda like having to walk to school and it was up hill both ways.

Wind speed was the topic and a good one. If you don't have hills, you've got wind. Some of us ( ) more than others.

I was riding today with the wind blowing 25 kph, gusting 37 kph.

Riding straight into the wind at 20 kph, I was using ~550 Watts.
Perpendicular to the wind at 20 kph I was using ~350 Watts.
Riding downwind at 34.2 kph, I was using less than 250 Watts.

I suppose a mid-drive would work better in the wind, but I don't bother riding if it gets really windy.

(I was riding no 👐 for most of the trip and the windshield was fine.
No 👐 in the cross wind was the most challenging but going down wind was the funnest. It was silent and I felt like I was floating.)

20230625_112151.jpg

Last edited:
I remember riding a bike in a field and hitting a cross wind that had more than a few miles of momentum built up. And you can see a hill coming up ...can't see wind

Yeah, it's the gusts that get you.
I would grab the handlebars when I passed a house with a bunch of trees on the yard.
HUGE wind shadow around the big trees and the road tends to be full of potholes right at the driveways where the vehicles get on and off the road.

Ohh, and I'd grab the handlebars whenever I saw a vehicle.
I don't want to piss anyone off.

My cuz who owns the property behind my house says I need to apply for permission to build.
Fock his opinion. I just do it. I have solar power. My goal is to charge my ebikes with free electricity from the sun.
All you are doing is putting up a temporary structure . No need.

Back