Wind speeds and your ride.

I used wind power and got going over 60 kph,..

Screenshot-2019-11-18-16-36-33.png

Those old farts didn't know how to do it fast, but they got there eventually.

I don't know what a lug rig is, but it still looks stupid.
Especially with three of them crammed in there.
And they can only go about 2 mph.

Look at the smiles on their faces.
They know that they look stupid and are trying to laugh it off,..

Screenshot_20230620-200517_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
This one I like,..

Screenshot_20230620-195718_DuckDuckGo.jpg

It's got a big ole sail ⛵ and a longer wheelbase.

Those four explorers got where they were going quickly and effectively.

In the past 4 years i have only had headwind ruin my ride 2 or 3 times and all those times i was on my hub bike, with a middrives just drop a few gears and plow right through! I feel like every time a plan a long ride the wind ends up being 20mph minimum, no worries!

Let me share one of my latest experiences with you.

On May 12th this year, I found the opportunity to make my first Double Metric Century ever. I rode pavement only on Vado 6.0, and was assisted by a massive tailwind. My average speed was 25 km/h (15.5 mph), which was very good as for the distance of 208 km (129 miles). The batteries' use was surprisingly small.

Two days later (Sunday), I took a train to shorten the return trip. Remaining was 105 km (65 miles). I was riding into the same wind that was helping me on Friday... Suffice to say it was the hardest Metric Century I can remember. The average speed was only 21 km/h (13 mph), and the battery use was excessive.

That's the wind and e-cycling for you.

Last edited:
.., and was assisted by a massive headwind.

That's a tailwind.
A headwind blows in your face.

Whenever I go for a ride, I head into the wind to start then use the tailwind to help me get home so I don't run out of battery.

It's really easy to miscalculate your speed and range with the wind pushing you.

A cross wind seems to work out about even for me.

That's a tailwind.
A headwind blows in your face.

Whenever I go for a ride, I head into the wind to start then use the tailwind to help me get home so I don't run out of battery.

It's really easy to miscalculate your speed and range with the wind pushing you.

A cross wind seems to work out about even for me.
Everything that comes out of his mouth is self promoting and back assward. 🙃

I remember being in physics class in 1982 and the teacher asked "How do you get across a frictionless surface if you are in the middle?"
I quickly blurted out the answer.
"You turn around and blow your self!"

I wasn't aware of the double entendre until the the entire class broke out in laughter.

While everyone was still laughing, the bell rang and everyone told every class they went to about what I said.

Fortunately for me, it was the right answer.
I could have worded it differently, but the laugh that came out of it was priceless.
My entire highschool of 1200 people heard about it.

Physics can be FUN !!!

It was the right answer, but it's still wrong as far as I see it.

Every action has an equal and opposite counter reaction.
So blowing into the air should be counter balanced by my lungs compressing, right?

It should be equal and balanced, but it's not.

In outer space, you are propelling mass into the abyss as you exhale, losing mass to propel yourself in the opposite direction.

On a land based frictionless surface with breathable air, you'd think that blowing into the air is nullified by your chest shrinking.
But it's not.

But, blowing yourself is still the right answer.
😂

Math and science always seems to figure stuff out after the fact.

Find out what the rules are, then break them and see if the scientists can figure it out later.

Another lug rig. This one is a "balanced" lug, because part of the sail, including the bottom, extends forward of the mast.

That's the Jib part of the ⛵

I could do that on my windsurfer too.
I could put part of the sail in front of the mast.
It helps with steering/control and going upwind.

I am east of you in Central Illinois. I am new to the E-bike and my wife rides an insanely light regular bike. We always head out into the wind and have the tailwind to bring us home when we are tired. The only exception is organized rides where you follow the routes for rest stops and SAG support. Last year we did the Prairie Pedal at Decatur and rode in 26 mph winds with gusts of 35. That day we were good with 24 miles and had no desire to do the 45 mile course. Our normal rule is if it is 18 or more, we hike instead.

That's a tailwind.
Sorry! I know the words but was not thinking while writing. Thank you!
Edited.

That is a good strategy. In my case, I had to travel to the city that was located the way I had to ride there with the tailwind and return against the headwind.

Last edited:
In my case, I had to travel to the city that was located the way I had to ride there with the tailwind and return against the headwind.

You picked the wrong city.
You should have traveled to the upwind city first.
Always travel upward on your way out if you wanna make it back home.

You could take a train straight into a 40 mph headwind for 300 km, then ride the wind home.
All in one day.
Three centuries

You picked the wrong city.
You should have traveled to the upwind city first.
Always travel upward on your way out if you wanna make it back home.

You could take a train straight into a 40 mph headwind for 300 km, then ride the wind home.
All in one day.
Three centuries
Nah. It was the only city located 200 km from where I live where I had friends, the city is fabulous, the route was picturesque (all asphalt roads), and the weather was gorgeous. I chose the day intentionally as I knew I would be assisted by the tailwind (the 129 miles was my longest ride on a single day). My original plan was to return by train all the way (a logical move) but I wanted to try myself on the 65 mile return ride against the headwind. An interesting experience.

The value added was me suffering on the saddle on the return trip, which motivated me to eventually swap the stem for a far longer one, making my Vado comfortable for long journey (the butt relieved!) and making my riding position more aero.

I rode for total 242 miles on that Friday-Sunday.

The value added was me suffering on the saddle on the return trip, which motivated me to eventually swap the stem for a far longer one, making my Vado comfortable for long journey (the butt relieved!) and making my riding position more aero.

You don't make any sense dude.

A longer stem sits you up straighter.
Plowing into a strong headwind sitting up straight is stupid,
Even I would lean down on my handlebars to reduce the wind drag.

Sitting up straight is for catching wind on the way home with a strong tailwind.

Are you talking about your steering stem or your seat stem?

A longer seat stem should lean you forward out of the wind.

I'll bet that you could take a train 500 miles upwind on Friday afternoon. Head home Saturday morning with a 30-40 mph tailwind, and make it home by Sunday afternoon.
I'm afraid Poland is not that big :D The longest bike race of Poland is 626.5 mi :D The real issue is the time necessary for charging the batteries overnight. Yes, I do plan a loop ride of 316 miles in 3 days soon. The wind would be my enemy on that trip!

You don't make any sense dude.

A longer stem sits you up straighter.
Plowing into a strong headwind sitting up straight is stupid,
Even I would lean down on my handlebars to reduce the wind drag.

Sitting up straight is for catching wind on the way home with a strong tailwind.

Are you talking about your steering stem or your seat stem?

A longer seat stem should lean you forward out of the wind.
I'm afraid you are clueless here mate. You certainly think the stem is the thing projecting upwards. It is not the case here. The sporty stem projects forward, and it even can be "slammed" into the -12 deg orientation. It makes the reach far longer, so the handlebars are below the saddle! It makes my riding position forward and athletic versus the previous "very relaxed" one.

1687499226631.png

Now, I am able to assume either position as indicated by arrows.

1687499553801.png

My long distance e-bike. See how low the handlebars are related to the saddle!

Last edited:
Back