Will 2018 be a "Big Year" for eBikes?

Cnugget

Maybe it's just me but it seems many more stores are getting or starting to stock eBikes.

MEC in Canada has 'em and so does REI. Just back from an LBS and they mentioned that they will be stocking a larger line come next year. Has anyone else seen this or it is just a case of.. I have one so now I've noticed?

Although still a small market in North America, eBikes are becoming recognized by consumers and within the bicycle industry. While traditional pedal bike sales are apparently declining, eBike sales are increasing. Yup, it’s happening. :)

Interbike 2017 eBike interest:
https://tinyurl.com/y9qlp5ur
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I've still haven't seen any ebikes in the New Mexico the routes I usually travel. I think the price of admission for ebikes found locally at Trek or REI is still scaring folks off along with ebikes don't provide "real exercise" stigma. I've notice more folks are weekend biking now compared to just 4-5 years ago and I see more vehicles with bike racks on them 24/7.

Might have to see a significant drop in prices to get folks on ebikes in my neck of the woods.

I think the general bike riding community are simply not willing to spend the higher prices on ebikes IMHO. They seem to think it is not worth the extra $$$ being a lot of them are either weekend cyclists or cycle competitors that want to stay with their traditional way to compete on a very light weight racing bike. People I have spoke to think they are way overpriced and are not aware of ebikes available that are in the $1500 dollar price range which are much more affordable that the $4000 dollar models. They also do not want to be bothered with the extra battery costs associated with them as well. Once most people take the time to try them, that will be a mind changer. Not on a lot of people's priority bucket list in my neck of the woods her in the Midwest. Personally I think they are the greatest invention of all time! 2018 is going to be a very exciting year for ebikes IMHO!

Ya. That's what made my ears perk up.. when the LBS referenced more varied price points and larger selection. :D

All three LBS here in Peoria, IL brought in ebikes for 2017. None of them had any for the 2016 season when I bought my first one. I haven't asked how they did this year yet. My favorite shop now has certified Bosch technicians. Good for me since I ride Haibikes. I see an ebike every once and a while on the rail trail here now. I saw a Rad wagon just a couple days ago. I also know when I can't catch up with someone ahead, that it is another ebike.

It's going to be a GREAT YEAR in 2018 for sure, if not a break out year to entirely new levels of sales.

Here's why:
1) A number of MAJOR well known bike players will be introducing their electric bikes in 2018, and they will be at price points for the masses. (i.e. many more high value models that are sub$2000). That's the direction the market needs to go, for wide-spread adoption. Price points between $1200 and $1500, will become the norm for very well equipped, and optioned e-bikes by 2019. The designs will get better, where more ebikes have wider tires (than 35C or 1.75"), and better stability with geometries that favor a cruising style, and up-right position. Too many models are clunky MTB knock offs, that do a poor job of delivering COMFORT, with crappy seats, and ill-positioned handle-bars, tiny pedals, and improperly positioned kick stands. I know this bc my clients give me that feedback, and love the models I bring in to close that gap. I also immediately trade out seats for comfort, and include nice gel oriented brands like Serfas offers that make a huge difference in the ride experience. My close ratio of people who try them, is 90%+. The ebikes sell themselves when you have the right product mix, and features, and can answer all technical questions. Brands like Fuji and Schwinn even, will get a LOT of this right AT THE RIGHT PRICE POINTS, with far nice paint finishes, and features they know everyday cyclists prefer.

2) The 21700 batteries will be put in play, as the competition heats up for more value, more range, and better performance from the more expensive e-bikes. The price points between $2500 and $4500 is EXTREMELY crowded with ebike models, so they either need to really differentiate their brands with many more colors, better paint finishes (dull matte black doesn't cut it for most), or go downward in price to get more butts on ebikes.

3) Media coverage will explode, and transition the dialogue from 'are e-bikes for real ?', to more of a discussion surrounding comparative features and performance. We are transitioning from early adopter terminology to early mainstream. This is where sales double or triple from the prior year here in the US.

4) The shake outs will start happening where smaller players realize they just don't have deep enough pockets to compete, and enough different models for ebike shops to adopt their lines.

5) Regular bike shops who have held out, will realize the growth they are missing out on, and begin bringing more of these ebikes into their inventory by year end.

6) Expect to see more offerings at Big Box stores. Maybe 'flash' or 'pop-up' sales, where they bring products in for short times only. That will greatly increase overall ebike awareness, if not drive people to seek them out at regular bike shops, and exclusive ebike only stores. Many will want to know that someone is local to service them.

Chicago market will definitely see a big year, as I'm already seeing a significant increase of inquiries, people thinking about ebikes that hadn't even been aware of them mere months before, and the normally 'slow' season right about now, is still percolating with excitement and best of all, actual purchases. People that have delayed trying to figure out what to buy, are finally diving in because they don't want to miss out on the excitement and great weather we have been getting this fall. E-Bike companies are pursuing my E-BIKE ONLY shop, where previously it was a little the other way around a year ago.

Ah yes, we shall see what 2018 brings. Lithium battery technology looks like it is also changing which may bring in opportunities for investors in stock trading markets as well.

It's going to be a GREAT YEAR in 2018 for sure, if not a break out year to entirely new levels of sales.

Here's why:
1) A number of MAJOR well known bike players will be introducing their electric bikes in 2018, and they will be at price points for the masses. (i.e. many more high value models that are sub$2000). That's the direction the market needs to go, for wide-spread adoption. Price points between $1200 and $1500, will become the norm for very well equipped, and optioned e-bikes by 2019. The designs will get better, where more ebikes have wider tires (than 35C or 1.75"), and better stability with geometries that favor a cruising style, and up-right position. Too many models are clunky MTB knock offs, that do a poor job of delivering COMFORT, with crappy seats, and ill-positioned handle-bars, tiny pedals, and improperly positioned kick stands. I know this bc my clients give me that feedback, and love the models I bring in to close that gap. I also immediately trade out seats for comfort, and include nice gel oriented brands like Serfas offers that make a huge difference in the ride experience. My close ratio of people who try them, is 90%+. The ebikes sell themselves when you have the right product mix, and features, and can answer all technical questions. Brands like Fuji and Schwinn even, will get a LOT of this right AT THE RIGHT PRICE POINTS, with far nice paint finishes, and features they know everyday cyclists prefer.

2) The 21700 batteries will be put in play, as the competition heats up for more value, more range, and better performance from the more expensive e-bikes. The price points between $2500 and $4500 is EXTREMELY crowded with ebike models, so they either need to really differentiate their brands with many more colors, better paint finishes (dull matte black doesn't cut it for most), or go downward in price to get more butts on ebikes.

3) Media coverage will explode, and transition the dialogue from 'are e-bikes for real ?', to more of a discussion surrounding comparative features and performance. We are transitioning from early adopter terminology to early mainstream. This is where sales double or triple from the prior year here in the US.

4) The shake outs will start happening where smaller players realize they just don't have deep enough pockets to compete, and enough different models for ebike shops to adopt their lines.

5) Regular bike shops who have held out, will realize the growth they are missing out on, and begin bringing more of these ebikes into their inventory by year end.

6) Expect to see more offerings at Big Box stores. Maybe 'flash' or 'pop-up' sales, where they bring products in for short times only. That will greatly increase overall ebike awareness, if not drive people to seek them out at regular bike shops, and exclusive ebike only stores. Many will want to know that someone is local to service them.

Chicago market will definitely see a big year, as I'm already seeing a significant increase of inquiries, people thinking about ebikes that hadn't even been aware of them mere months before, and the normally 'slow' season right about now, is still percolating with excitement and best of all, actual purchases. People that have delayed trying to figure out what to buy, are finally diving in because they don't want to miss out on the excitement and great weather we have been getting this fall. E-Bike companies are pursuing my E-BIKE ONLY shop, where previously it was a little the other way around a year ago.

I think your assessment on ride comfort and handling/stability is on target. With adequate ebike assist it makes no sense to put urban commute riders in aggressive and uncomfortable riding positions just for the sake of reducing power requirements maybe 200 watts. A more upright (motorcycle like position) dramatically improves comfort and rider visibility of what is in front of them so safety is also greatly improved.

I think many riders do want an ebike that looks like a traditional bike but this is playing a role in keeping many eBikes uncomfortable because most traditional bikes (especially road bikes) are designed for efficiency (drop bars for aerodynamics, thin high pressure tires for low rolling resistance, etc.).

The average consumer's common refrain is, "$2000?! I could buy a scooter/motorcycle for that price!" Older and retired people aside, the only way it will get big is when the prices fall to less than $1000. That's why the Sonders bike was so popular, not because it was good, but because it was cheap enough. Most people buy a bike to use very occasionally; they can't justify spending a lot for a bike, motorized or not. If it is a lot, they think it needs to pedal itself.

I think you are right about most people viewing any bike as an occasional use product so price point is a major factor. My mindset is more focused on a "reliable form of transportation" - an alternative to a car. Traffic and parking congestion is getting so bad in some cities it's getting to the point of necessity that some start getting out of cars and mass transportation really doesn't offer the flexibility most people want/need.

That said, there is no reason a very reliable robust fixie ebike could not hit that sub-$1000 price point while still providing the level of performance, ride comfort, and handling needed for urban commuting (especially in cities without too much elevation changes).

Sounds like you have a bike shop or sell bikes/ebikes at some level. If you had a fixie eBike that could say still hit a top speed close to class 3 pedelec speeds of 28mph (albeit at a high cadence ... maybe close to 100 with a 48T front 16T rear) and had plenty of power to still help achieve good acceleration, how much interest would that generate?

All the eBike fixies I have seen are so focused on being like traditional road bikes they simple are not comfortable or really that safe to ride. I'm talking about a robust bike with large air volume tires (2.0 - 2.8" wide urban tires, not mtn bike tires), an upright riding position, and a reliable gear-less hub motor (this will perform best on a fixie and be far more reliable than the alternative motors).

The average consumer's common refrain is, "$2000?! I could buy a scooter/motorcycle for that price!" Older and retired people aside, the only way it will get big is when the prices fall to less than $1000. That's why the Sonders bike was so popular, not because it was good, but because it was cheap enough. Most people buy a bike to use very occasionally; they can't justify spending a lot for a bike, motorized or not. If it is a lot, they think it needs to pedal itself.

I have another observation that will become relevant in the not too distant future. The Footloose eBikes have been sold in the US which establishes legal precedence that pedals do not necessarily have to provide direct power a wheel. This seems to indicate to me that any scooter limited to 20mph via throttle can be classified as an ebike (class 1 where the classification system has been adopted). This is important because for those that don't want to pedal at all this maybe a great product configuration. I have such a scooter here in Colorado that I'm going to start riding on bikes paths and everywhere class 1 bikes are permitted to see what happens. I'll carry the documentation to support my case on the scooter and if I get a ticket I will see what happens in court. Given the legal precedence being set by the Footloose I think there is no way officials can claim it's not an eBike.

Absolutely. My deck overlooks the kennelworth bike trail in Minneapolis. If I sit out there during the evening commute, I’ll easily see a dozen or more ebikes riding the trail.

IMO - all one needs to do is ride one once and they will want one. Was similar to the 1st time I drove a friends chevy volt. I owned one within two weeks of driving it.

Last edited:
The Footloose eBikes have been sold in the US which establishes legal precedence that pedals do not necessarily have to provide direct power a wheel.

I had to look up the Footloose. Cnet reviewed it awhile ago and gave it 3 out of 5 stars, their biggest complain is that when the battery dies, it cannot be pedaled. Also, there was a delay from standstill between turning the pedals and the bike starting to move. The lone comment about the Footloose? "Over $3k?!! Get your motorcycle license and grab a used 150 or 300cc motorcycle. You'll get 60-75mpg depending on the model and pay almost nothing in insurance. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen."

Smaller local bike shops are being squeezed by online retailers and decisions by pedal bicycle companies that are not one of the big three Trek, Specialized, or Giant, into expanding their focus on specialty markets: racing, ebike, cargo bike, MTB, etc. This is why my local bike shop now has half its window space occupied by ebikes for the first time, and to be honest a spin off benefit is that it advertises their openness to ebike conversion & servicing that never got the recognition they deserved until now. The gamble for shop owners is to choose the right specialty area for the local market, one high end racing shop closed recently in my area (DC inner suburb) but to no loss because they were utter snobs refusing to cater for the non-Rapha wearing crowd, whereas all the local bike shops are earning decent margins selling ebikes.

I wonder if Piaggio selling their ebike in some of their scooter stores influenced Yamaha's decision to sell their upcoming ebike line in their PowerSports retailers selling and servicing them in the same store that works on power boat engines, lawn mowers, ATV's, as well as motorcycles. Maybe this will give a shot in the arm to ebike sales in the US?

Last edited:
In general the North American eBike market has been disappointing for most vendors. It is an overcrowded market filled with smaller brands seeking fewer and fewer retail IBD's. I expect many vendors will pull out of North America. I also expect Giant, Trek, and Specialized to dominate retail. For those few eBike focused retailers selling at full MSRP, the clock is ticking on their business model as more and more vendors are using every channel available to sell eBikes. Plus as price points navigate downward, there is a price/demand chasm where the decrease in margin dollars generated from lower prices is not supplanted by the higher demand. This phenomenon occurs frequently in young nascent markets and it takes a long time for the demand curve to rise sufficiently to compensate. To give you some insight into how more bike advanced cultures are doing, statistics recently revealed in the German market indicate eBike sales are growing well but still comprise only 3% of unit sales. We see lots of positive movement (environmentally, technically, socially, legislatively et. al.) on eBikes but the absolute numbers aren't sufficient to sustain all the vendors that sell in North America.

To make matters more difficult there really is no brand awareness for vendors either, as evidenced by a recent research report in Bicycle Retailer that showed brand is an inconsequential decision maker when purchasing a bike. Of course, this represents opportunity for those vendors will to spend monies to build brand awareness. Even so, I don't know of a vendor who has the dollars to spend that willing impact brand awareness.

Also, we will continue to see a rise in online startups that bypass retail to deliver a better specified bike at lower prices directly to the consumer.

I had to look up the Footloose. Cnet reviewed it awhile ago and gave it 3 out of 5 stars, their biggest complain is that when the battery dies, it cannot be pedaled. Also, there was a delay from standstill between turning the pedals and the bike starting to move. The lone comment about the Footloose? "Over $3k?!! Get your motorcycle license and grab a used 150 or 300cc motorcycle. You'll get 60-75mpg depending on the model and pay almost nothing in insurance. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen."

If you can ride a 20mph throttle scooter as an eBike (not that low powered Footloose - I just use that as an example that an "ebike" doesn't have to have functional pedals. The appeal is NO insurance, registration, or parking costs if it's an eBike. I have my motorcycle license and use the ride a Honda V65 Magna but it certainly had all these cost factors to consider.

If you can ride a scooter at 20mph legall on bike paths and sidewalks in many areas of the country that is a viable commuter for a lot of people. I ride an eBike a lot to work at 12 miles each way. I'm going to ride the scooter occasionally to see if I ever get pulled over (there is a frequent speed trap spot where the police see me ride by frequently so I'll probably ride over and talk to them if I'm the scooter to get their take on this. I believe it entirely legal.

I wonder if Piaggio selling their ebike in some of their scooter stores influenced Yamaha's decision to sell their upcoming ebike line in their PowerSports retailers selling and servicing them in the same store that works on power boat engines, lawn mowers, ATV's, as well as motorcycles. Maybe this will give a shot in the arm to ebike sales in the US?
As a 100% pedelec eMTBer that many MTBers don't want using "their" trails because "Motor + Bike = MotorBike," I'm not thrilled that ebikes are being promoted and sold by motorsports retailers alongside 100% throttled motocross machines and ATVs.

I recently learned that "Motorcycles508" here in Massachusetts has recently become an "omnichannel" Haibike dealer, which indicates to me some impatience for Europe-like ebike sales in the USA now. It's going to take time for pedal assist to become mainstream here - these are bicycles, not motorcycles, and I seriously doubt they'll appeal much to the powersports crowd.

1522088521283.png

I'll suggest that enthusiasts on this forum are no judge of future sales or trends. The dealers and mechanics that frequent are the exceptions. Of course we are all smitten by the quality and technology. I am the only eBike rider in all my friends and family on Facebook. So that is one in 137. Then of all my other friends and acquaintances, I only know of 1 other person that has a eBike, and he didn't ride a thousand miles last year. I do a Friday night ride with the local bike co-op. I'm the only one on an eBike. In two years of riding, I've only seen 3 eBikes on our local Greenway and Trail. I've never seen one when riding the trails in the Quad Cities along the Mississippi River, nor any when I ride around Springfield, Il. Personally I don't see much growth in the Peoria, Il region.

Back