Widespread Giant motor creaking problem - time for a recall?

shark_jumper

I have a 2019 Quick E+ that started making a horrible, loud creaking sound when putting significant torque through the pedals (pedaling uphill, pedaling hard into a headwind, and/or using eco+, normal, or sport modes). The noise is awful, and extremely loud, you can hear the bike from a block away. I took it back to the dealer a few times, and they tried re-torquing / re-greasing the motor mount bolts, going through every possible creak source on the bike (pedals, seatpost, cassette, headset, etc.), but none of that fixed it.

After the dealer went back and forth with Giant's (extremely unhelpful) warranty department, Giant shipped out a new motor and the motor was replaced under warranty. This was happening with other customers' Giant e-bikes in the shop (Quick E+'s, Tough Road, and Road E's) as well. Giant's theory at the time was that it was a bad batch of motors from Yamaha. However installing a new motor did not solve the problem, it continued to creak. It also started frequently dropping the chain off the chainring. I took it back to the shop and again, they verified the creaking was not coming from elsewhere. Giant told them to put shims between the motor and frame. The shop tried that and it didn't solve the problem.

After another back-and-forth process with Giant, they send another motor, and the shop just installed the SECOND new motor, this one with a different production date than my prior two motors. I just picked it up and haven't had time to test it out yet.

When I picked it up, the dealer had about half a dozen Giant e-bikes in the service department all with the same problem, in queue for motor replacements. Apparently Giant's new theory is that the holes for the motor mount bolts were not machined in the frames straight, or the welds on the frame where the motor mounts are out of spec, so when a lot of torque is put through the pedals, the motor unit flexes against the frame hence the horrible creaking sound under load. Apparently Giant is trying to come up with some fix that consists of putting a gasket between the motor and frame. However this sounds like a hokey band-aid solution, and whatever the gasket is made out of (rubber, plastic, etc.) will not solve the fundamental problem of the motor/frame interface being crooked, and once the gasket wears out the creaking will come back.

Also, with the motor not aligned properly with the frame, the chainring is not lined up straight with the cassette which is probably why the bikes are throwing chains. (Also this could have something to do with the fact that Giant's cheap chainring does not have a narrow-wide tooth profile to it, which is a key feature of any 1X drivetrain.) Constantly throwing the chain off the chainring is a dangerous situation, and if it comes off on the inner side, it gets wedged between the chainring and a plastic cover plate on the motor. My plastic cover plate is now cracked as a result. I got fed up with the chain-throwing situation and had to buy an aftermarket chainguide so the bike wouldn't be dangerous to ride.

I will see how the new motor works out, but but based on my experience to date, having the bike in the shop almost a dozen times, I'm not holding my breath that the new motor will fix the problem. I'm just about at the end of my rope, I've had the bike for about 8 months, have put 1,000 miles on it, and it's been in the shop for about a quarter of the time I've owned it. I noticed a few people reporting this issue in the Quick E+ thread here. How many others are having this problem? I think it's time to start escalating complaints to Giant and demanding a recall; this Mickey Mouse gasket fix is not acceptable.

This sounds like a nightmare problem. I’ve been contemplating buying a Road-E+ 1 Pro, but it sounds as if the defective motor mounts are endemic across their entire line.

What’s particularly disturbing are the consistent comments about Giant’s mediocre or worse warranty department. I cannot abide companies that are not willing to stand behind their products when problems develop. If Giant is truly indifferent to its customers, that would be a dealbreaker for me.

1500 miles in three months on my ToughRoad and not a peep out of it. It’s a 2018 model I bought new... who knows, but I have zero issues, would buy another in a heartbeat.

Like Dave I have a 2018 ToughRoad. I have ridden 2500km mainly in Sport+ mode in a bit over a year including 800km on studded winter tires in the cold. I’ve had creaks and ticks over that time that I’ve resolved tightening various things. Right now it’s running quiet. Never drop a chain but it has a proper 1x drivetrain.

My wife has a Quick-E and she hasn’t ridden it as much but also no noise. It’s a 2x so no problem with the chain.

I sure hope Giant gets yours sorted out!

No motor issues with my Quick E, one month in. I did tighten the motor mounts after the first few rides and the crank bolts need regular retensioning (really wish they'd used Shimano splined Hollowtech BB/cranks instead of those nasty square taper cranks). My buddies have Trance E's and they haven't had any motor issues either.

I have a 2018 e fastroad and had the same problems with a noisy motor. Have to say the shop where I bought it (Giant - York, UK) were brilliant in getting it fixed. A new motor was needed. After fitting - no problem.

I did a 60k ride and found the motor was creaking a little bit, got home and each of the big hex motor screws were not lose, but not tight, have tightened them up and will see if it comes back.

I got Fathom e+ 2 with pro motor.
not sure if its similar issue but i can hear some sort of clicking / grinding noise from motor, as if wire is touching wheel spoke when spinning, happens on higher speed.

noise is not very loud and can really only be heard on quite street.
motor it self pulls as normal And i cannot replicate it on stand, might be torque related?

Also noticed crank still spinning for a few seconds even thou i stop peddling.

Did my first commute on the 3rd motor (19 miles), so far so good...
My 2018 explorer has just started creaking with 600kms/400 miles on it. It only creaks on the left hand side. Sounds horrible and people can hear me approaching from quite a distance. Have you had success with the third motor? Also, have you heard anymore about if the problem is a bad batch of motors or maybe wrong types of mounting screws.

I may have discovered a solution to the creaking sound. Even though the motor mount bolts are tight the motor still moves a bit while pedaling so I decided to take them out and spray silicone in the bolt holes and put moly grease on all metal parts of the bolts. This allows the bolts to move a bit without making the creaking sound. 100% improvement over the las 20 Miles. I think maybe some bolts may not be as wide so it allows more movement which eventually causes the creaking.

Took my Explore E+ 1 with about 500 km on it in for this issue. They ended up R&R'ing all the motor mount bolts, etc. and it was quiet ... for the first 35 km ride after that ... now the sound is coming back ... :(

Took my Explore E+ 1 with about 500 km on it in for this issue. They ended up R&R'ing all the motor mount bolts, etc. and it was quiet ... for the first 35 km ride after that ... now the sound is coming back ... :(
What is R&Ring? I used moly paste and lithium grease on the motor bolts. It had 62Kms since and not a peep so far. I’ll put another 32kms tomorrow or next day and let you know how it’s doing. It has to be the motor bolts because that’s the only part I’m greasing along with the motor mounts inside the bolt holes.

What is R&Ring?

Remove and reinstall - sorry for the jargon.

Did you apply lubricant (moly paste / lithium grease) to the threads of the fasteners or just where they pass through clearance holes ? (I haven't taken mine apart yet so not entirely clear how things are fastened) If you did apply lubricant to the threads, is it possible that you are just achieving a higher pre-load tension vs a dry thread ?

Remove and reinstall - sorry for the jargon.

Did you apply lubricant (moly paste / lithium grease) to the threads of the fasteners or just where they pass through clearance holes ? (I haven't taken mine apart yet so not entirely clear how things are fastened) If you did apply lubricant to the threads, is it possible that you are just achieving a higher pre-load tension vs a dry thread ?
I took a bolt out one at a time. I sprayed lithium grease into the bolt hole while covering the other end with a finger so most of the grease stayed in the hole. I also have some thicker molybdenum paste used for motorcycle drive splines which is quite thick. I pasted that onto the entire bolt including washer and lock washer and threads then put all back together. Very quiet now . How long will it last ? Have to wait and see. It seem to come from the back two bolts, which are also the easiest to get out. The front bolt I had to take out the battery and loosen 4 screws at its base and then remove 3 screws for the side plate to get to the 3rd bolt. It’s for sure the cause of the creaks. As I said in a post above that there must some some minor movement that can’t be fixed by tightening and the grease allows the parts that creak to move without noise. If this doesn’t fix it then I’d consider it a manufactures defect and they should fix it.

I took a bolt out one at a time. I sprayed lithium grease into the bolt hole while covering the other end with a finger so most of the grease stayed in the hole. I also have some thicker molybdenum paste used for motorcycle drive splines which is quite thick. I pasted that onto the entire bolt including washer and lock washer and threads then put all back together. Very quiet now . How long will it last ? Have to wait and see. It seem to come from the back two bolts, which are also the easiest to get out. The front bolt I had to take out the battery and loosen 4 screws at its base and then remove 3 screws for the side plate to get to the 3rd bolt. It’s for sure the cause of the creaks. As I said in a post above that there must some some minor movement that can’t be fixed by tightening and the grease allows the parts that creak to move without noise. If this doesn’t fix it then I’d consider it a manufactures defect and they should fix it.
The three main bolts are number 30 torx.

I’ll try adding a video 38141

This guy is taking the whole motor out. You just need to see how /which bolts are to be greased and screws under the battery.
The moly grease is great because it sticks to metal really well.

Back