Why

Tricky

Why buy a more expensive Ebike ? I own a Raleigh Centros of which i have just installed a speedbox.But what would i gain by buying a better Ebike.

If you buy smart, you get a bike more capable of taking punishment over the long term (better frame, wheels, hubs). Or more capable of say stopping reliably in an emergency (dual piston hydraulic brakes). Or more capable of providing comfort (air fork with adjustable rebound vs. spring fork). Or more motor power. Or go further (bigger battery). Or shift better (derailleur).

If you are just riding around the neighborhood in the evenings, or taking a jaunt down the local bike path, then you'll never know the difference. Use the bike for utility and transportation and the differences will make themselves apparent without the need of any self appointed internet experts to try and convince you :)

Take your bike to these places and get back to me...

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.49.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 10.11.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 10.08.01 AM.png

Why buy a more expensive Ebike ? I own a Raleigh Centros of which i have just installed a speedbox.But what would i gain by buying a better Ebike.
You might have spent enough. Had a rim crack? Had 4 spokes stretch over a period of 2 months? Had the power drop out multiple times when you hit a bump (requiring a power off reset)? Had the frame crack? Had the handlebar slip loose in the column and lose control? Had a pedal come unscrewed and booger the hole in the crank in less than a year? Had the display fog over where you can't read it? Gone up a hill and stalled, requiring you to get off & push? Had the battery run down before you got home again? Run into a car because the brakes wouldn't stop you? Needed a tool to change a flat and had to call a tow truck because you couldn't carry it or the tubes? All these have been reported on here.

Last edited:
Like most people, when I was a kid I could be influenced into wanting something I didn't need. Now I ask myself first if something does everything I want and need it to do. Does my bike take me everywhere I want to go? 'Yes', no action required. 'No', start looking. I'm not the conspicuous consumer I once was. I enjoy seeing and reading about all this year's new tech, but so far I don't have the need for it. Better yet I don't have the wanting for it.

Depends on how often you use it, and, how valuable it is to you - not monetary wise, but overall. Over the years, especially with bikes, I've learned to "buy once, cry once." I'd rather buy a quality bike that will last longer and be more effective, especially for what I use it for/want to do with it, than a cheaper bike that either will bust parts, or that I'll upgrade parts regardless. In the end, it's cheaper to buy the more expensive bike if a bike is something you'll use very often.

If you upgrade you may find desirable results in ways you didn't anticipate but manufacturers are always coming up with new reasons every year to try and make you believe what last year was said to be the greatest is now inferior to the current year.

That is a Tricky question. :) More money buys you a lighter bike, and/or a bigger battery for more range, and/or a more powerful motor and controller. It can buy you better components like shocks that actually work instead of just bouncing, more powerful brakes, or perhaps a more reliable belt drive and internal geared hub. It can also buy you better quality control and support from the manufacturer and possibly a local dealer. You usually get what you pay for, but not always.

Most bikes available will more than satisfy my needs from a speed perspective. That's easy. What's harder is about more comfort here. That's where my 70 year old priorities are. Handlebars, grips, tires, seats, seat and front fork suspensions, controller/display functionality, brakes, can all make a huge difference in comfort and functionality.

The bottom line though, is what it takes to satisfy YOU! If you're happy with what you have, stay with it!

That is a pretty good bike.

Your question is otherwise is ambiguous. Better in what way?

If you are going to do mtb well you need a different bike, if you want to sustain higher speeds you will need more power otherwise it is a good bike. You can do anything mentioned in post #3 with that bike.

Yep its a good bike now that i have derestricted it,and i cant see any point in changing it unless i want an off road bike or a lighter bike.

So maybe i will stick with this one for a bit.

This is what your will learn after your upgrades on your current bike are complete and you ride it. The more you ride the more you will discover not what you bought the bike for but what kind of rider you have become with an ebike and how your preference in rides changes over time.

There is no harm in starting with a more modestly priced bike to get a feel of ebiking and learn where it is going to take you. Most poeple find the ride far more often and way further than they ever imagined. When you are ready to step up to a better bike that better meets your evolved riding style, you can sell the lessor bike for a modest loss.

Combine lots of riding with paying attention not only to topics of interest on this forum but also reading the reviews Court posts on the EBR main site (just click the EBR green graphic at the top left of any page) His reviews expand your idea of what is available, what's new and will give rise to thoughts of how a differently purpose designed bike might better fit your evolving riding style and fitness. Then come back to the forum under brand specific discussion and ask about the experience of others who own the bike that has piqued your interest.

Be sure to be specific about features you want to learn about, features that you think are a "must have" as well as where and under what conditions your ride and your general fitness. Asking too open ended questions about bike preference will just bring out a bunch of irrelevant recommendations by people who know nothing about you and your preferences but are mainly subject to confirmation bias, looking to support their decision by urging you to make the same call.

Last edited:
If you are going to do mtb well you need a different bike, if you want to sustain higher speeds you will need more power otherwise it is a good bike. You can do anything mentioned in post #3 with that bike.

Please post pics.

Please post pics.
This is part of a route I do regularly, 1-2 times a week. With pw-se, bosch cx and dd hub, on lower assist levels I do it around 30 minutes comfortably. If I push I can shave at least 5 minutes with any of those.
Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 11.11.08 AM.png

Last edited:
This is part of a route I do regularly, 1-2 times a week. With pw-se, bosch cx and dd hub, on lower assist levels I do it around 30 minutes comfortably. If I push I can shave at least 5 minutes with any of those.
That's great and impressive, but Montebello Road appears to be good paved road when I look at it in Google Street View. Maybe five miles of the Sweetgrass tour is paved (with chip seal). About two dozen miles of the Soap Lake to Davenport Ride was unpaved, and that was all on farm and ranch roads.

Riding on poor and unpaved roads doesn't make it easier.

That's great and impressive, but Montebello Road appears to be good paved road when I look at it in Google Street View. Maybe five miles of the Sweetgrass tour is paved (with chip seal). About two dozen miles of the Soap Lake to Davenport Ride was unpaved, and that was all on farm and ranch roads.

Riding on poor and unpaved roads doesn't make it easier.

Yes it is a good paved road.
I didn't know the condition of the roads you have ridden so my comment was only on elevation profile.

That's why I mentioned mtb in my previous comment. With the right tires his bike should be fine on gravel but anything more, like your case, a mtb will be much superior(and sometimes necessary).

Back