Why some motor inhibitor has 3 pin and some has 2pin

Timpo

Why do some motor inhibitor on brake has 2 pin connector and some has 3 pin?
What's the extra wire for?

Also, would it be fine to just solder 2 wire to 3 pin connector (simply ignoring one extra wire)?

I've seen that done before on other forums, but I can't find it now.

Why do some motor inhibitor on brake has 2 pin connector and some has 3 pin?
What's the extra wire for?

Also, would it be fine to just solder 2 wire to 3 pin connector (simply ignoring one extra wire)?

I've seen that done before on other forums, but I can't find it now.

Best guess is power, ground, and signal

Vs

Power and ground

2 wire power and ground would work like a momentary contact switch, killing power to the motor.
3 wire would send a signal to the motor so it can pull power without fully turning off.

Please take this with a grain of salt. I fix BMWs for a living, not bikes.

After writing this I just realized something, you were talking about brakes. So the extra wire is probably power to brake lights. I originally was thinking about gear shift sensors. It's been a long morning.

Last edited:
THe three wires are power, ground, and signal. Your wiring will depend on whether the controller has High level or Low level braking. For the latter, the brake lever takes the brake signal to ground when pulled. If it is High level, the brake lever takes the signal to power when pulled.

Most of the brake levers I've seen are just two wires. There is a normally open switch that closes when the lever is pulled. The switch can be magnetic or an actual contact switch. I've only worked with Low Level controllers, which did had either three wires or two wires. In the case of three wires, the third was power and I changed them to a two wire connector and removed the power (cutting it off inside the controller). The brake lever grounds the signal. The power wire is not needed. And with these controllers, you don't need the brake levers attached to run the bike.

I do have a Bafang mid drive with a three wire brake switch. The bike won't run unless at least one of the two brake levers is connected. I believe that's for safety. They require at least one brake inhibiter to be attached. I've never looked at how it works. Don't know if it's High or Low level, but I suspect it's high level. I believe you need a brake switch that's normally closed and opens when the lever is pulled.

THe three wires are power, ground, and signal. Your wiring will depend on whether the controller has High level or Low level braking. For the latter, the brake lever takes the brake signal to ground when pulled. If it is High level, the brake lever takes the signal to power when pulled.

Most of the brake levers I've seen are just two wires. There is a normally open switch that closes when the lever is pulled. The switch can be magnetic or an actual contact switch. I've only worked with Low Level controllers, which did had either three wires or two wires. In the case of three wires, the third was power and I changed them to a two wire connector and removed the power (cutting it off inside the controller). The brake lever grounds the signal. The power wire is not needed. And with these controllers, you don't need the brake levers attached to run the bike.

I do have a Bafang mid drive with a three wire brake switch. The bike won't run unless at least one of the two brake levers is connected. I believe that's for safety. They require at least one brake inhibiter to be attached. I've never looked at how it works. Don't know if it's High or Low level, but I suspect it's high level. I believe you need a brake switch that's normally closed and opens when the lever is pulled.

Glad someone with actual bike knowledge could chime in.

This is the right answer.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience, Harry!

my bbso2 brake switch got me into a crash last week. going thru a 120 degree turn with a rock step in the middle, i tried to brake slide the turn like i would on a dirt bike and i guess i still had a bit of rear brake on when i hit the throttle, which, of course, didn't respond, and i fell over the inside of the turn into the rocks. when i got home, i disconnected both 2 wire brake switches. it works fine with no switch

Back