Why no reviews for Hyper Eride?

Mackatee

I am new to the ebike scene. And I am thinking of purchasing my 1st ebike soon. I have been doing much research, and watched/read MANY reviews. As an entry level rider, I am wondering why no one (EBR, or otherwise) is doing full scale review of the Hyper Eride?

I know that the bike is not "good", that's not the point. But at it's price point, it's seems to be THE entry level ebike (eMTB, anyway.) And being available at big box stores, makes acquiring one pretty simple.I mostly ride city roads, but would like the option for light trail rides as the weather gets better. And I cannot find a full scale review anywhere to see if this eMTB would work for me.

It would be nice to get a review that trys to show how they shaved cost. And if those cost saving measures mean lack of options, inferior parts, longevity, etc. that make it worth/not worth purchasing.

Why has EBR not reviewed the Hyper Eride? Beginners like me wanna know.

Can’t speak for EBR but it’s likely Walmart won’t pay the service fee charged for EBR to review the bike. You could try contacting Kevcentral or Micah Toll at Electrek.co who have reviewed big box budget ebikes.

Last edited:
Purchasing ebike in Walmart is not any simpler than ordering some Chinese import from other sources. They don't keep it on the shelves, you'll have to order and take a delivery or pick up at Walmart. The only benefit of buying from Walmart is a (relatively) easy return within 3 months if it won't live up to your expectations in terms of range, power and comfort (on a brief glance I don't see how it could), or poops out.

It has a very small 280WH battery. The smaller it is, the sooner you'll need to buy a new battery 'cause you'll be using full capacity every time.
Also, 250W motor doesn't make it an EMTB, more like a short-range commuter, only without lights and rack.

Last edited:

Thanks, Jaizon. This is the type of info I'm looking for. I did come across this site, but did not see this review somehow. Unfortunately, it's not a very "in-depth" review. Mostly only reciting specs.

I'm currently riding on a 15 yr-old Trek city/hybrid bike, and thought it might be time to plunge into ebiking. But considering I'm only recreational/light exercise rider, it's hard to justify a $1,000+ price tag for the amount and intensity I ride. I feel like I can't be the only person in this situation, and yet the Hyper Eride feels like the only option for that style of ebike (mtb style) at that price point. Am I missing other models at (or near) that entry-level price?

Last edited:
But considering I'm only recreational/light exercise rider, it's hard to justify a $1,000+ price tag for the amount and intensity I ride. I feel like I can't be the only person in this situation, and yet the Hyper Eride feels like the only option for that style of ebike (mtb style) at that price point. Am I missing other models at (or near) that entry-level price?

Often at those sub-$1000 price ranges, you get what you pay for, especially with eMTBs. Mountain bikes get subjected to a lot more stress! EBR hasn't avoided the Hyper E-Ride, really the only reason we haven't covered it is that there are too many Ebikes and too little time to cover them! We do our best to balance popular bikes, innovative designs, bikes we think are important... but at the end of the day, we have a small team and can only get to so many.

We did cover this Ancheer Mountain Bike which was pretty similar although a bit more expensive. That one struggled big-time with mountain biking but did decent on easier trails... and it also completely broke down during some testing by EbikeLabs, which gets talked about at the end of the video review and also mentioned in the writeup.

Often at those sub-$1000 price ranges, you get what you pay for, especially with eMTBs. Mountain bikes get subjected to a lot more stress! EBR hasn't avoided the Hyper E-Ride, really the only reason we haven't covered it is that there are too many Ebikes and too little time to cover them! We do our best to balance popular bikes, innovative designs, bikes we think are important... but at the end of the day, we have a small team and can only get to so many.

I appreciate your reply. In response to your "popular/innovative/important" criteria for reviewing bikes, as an entry-level product the price on the Hyper Eride is PRECISELY why this bike is important! This bike is coming in at nearly half of the price tag of other entry-level bikes. I know there is a lack of options, smaller battery/motor, pedal assist only. But what we need to know is, of the components that are there... are they crap? Will it last? I know the Ries and Müellers are good, they're all $6-8k. This bike, at that price point, seems to be redefining "entry-level". And it feels like us newbies are being left out of the picture, mainly because of the price barrier.

Is it worth $700? Maybe, but not to me. Are the components crap? Most definitely. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Quality usually comes at a cost. Just my opinions. YMMV. Good luck on your search!

And it feels like us newbies are being left out of the picture, mainly because of the price barrier.

Thanks for sharing more on this Mackatee, and you make some solid points. Especially since this bike is available at Wal-Mart, so for many folks it might be their first exposure to even get them thinking about Ebikes!

I can't promise that we will be able to cover it, but I'll look into it :)

I know that the bike is not "good", that's not the point. But at it's price point, it's seems to be THE entry level ebike (eMTB, anyway.) And being available at big box stores, makes acquiring one pretty simple.I mostly ride city roads, but would like the option for light trail rides as the weather gets better. And

It's a handsome bike and a nice price point to get started in eBiking. Many members here lost "beginners mind" long ago, so they're not going to have that entry-level perspective.

You will be pleasantly surprised how much 250W will get-up-and-go. I converted my wife's Trek Pure with a 36V 250W motor and it propels my 200 lbs up to 23 MPH. Whoosh!

Even better than a review, I expect you could find a Hyper enthusiast group on Facebook. Those members will share their experiences, tweaks, and upgrades. I'm pretty sure there is one for Ancheer (another entry-level ebike maker) so perhaps Hyper as well.

Then overtime you could upgrade the bits on your bike.

Last edited:
This bike is coming in at nearly half of the price tag of other entry-level bikes. I know there is a lack of options, smaller battery/motor, pedal assist only. But what we need to know is, of the components that are there... are they crap? Will it last? I know the Ries and Müellers are good, they're all $6-8k. This bike, at that price point, seems to be redefining "entry-level". And it feels like us newbies are being left out of the picture, mainly because of the price barrier.
It is priced close to other similar machines. Nakto comes to mind, Ancheer and few others.
Entry-level $1,000-1,200 bikes are 1 step up - better motor, brakes, gears, control features, better and bigger battery.

They don't tell much about components - this means inferior product, usually. I would be concerned about poor quality battery (and its low capacity - here lies an answer to your question "will it last?", Re: deeper cycling), also connectors and controller. Could be other components as well. Prices are coming down, 5 years ago anything under $2K was considered cheap. Right now it appears that entry-level bikes cost (at least) $900 before you see a significant drop in quality and range.

250W motor is definitely not a "mountain bike". On a flat surface it could move even a heavy rider if you give it enough time to accelerate but going uphill is a completely different mechanics.

I am new to the ebike scene. And I am thinking of purchasing my 1st ebike soon. I have been doing much research, and watched/read MANY reviews. As an entry level rider, I am wondering why no one (EBR, or otherwise) is doing full scale review of the Hyper Eride?

I know that the bike is not "good", that's not the point. But at it's price point, it's seems to be THE entry level ebike (eMTB, anyway.) And being available at big box stores, makes acquiring one pretty simple.I mostly ride city roads, but would like the option for light trail rides as the weather gets better. And I cannot find a full scale review anywhere to see if this eMTB would work for me.

It would be nice to get a review that trys to show how they shaved cost. And if those cost saving measures mean lack of options, inferior parts, longevity, etc. that make it worth/not worth purchasing.

Why has EBR not reviewed the Hyper Eride? Beginners like me wanna know.
Hello,
I have an Hyper eBike and bought it from Walmart four months ago. I've been riding it for at least 4-5 times a week, ranging 20 miles per day around our neighborhood (uphill/downhill/flat surfaces). I can provide feedback when it comes to the pros and cons:

PROs:
1. Low cost compare to any full size MTB. It is now on sale at Walmart website for $398.00 with free shipping. ($200 less from original price). What a deal!
2. Max range (based from my experience using lowest pedal assist) is between 25-30 miles, less miles if your neighborhood has a lot of uphill roads.
3. Since it has a small motor, you still can get your cardio exercise (which is good for me). I'm in my 50s with bad knees.
4. Battery is removable; hence, charging is a breeze.
5. Frame is solid.
6. Front suspension is good on pavement and grassy areas (not sure if it will last if continued use on rocky terrain).

CONS
1. Seat is uncomfortable. I bought a spring loaded seat post and it helped a little bit.
2. Bike handle is not long enough for accessories i.e. horn, lights, cell phones and action camera.
3. Not disc brakes. More cost if buying with a disc brakes.
4. A little awkward to ride for tall people. I'm 5'8'' and slightly uncomfortable (or maybe just me).

Thanks @Jay Cee ! I think this is a steal at $400. It's not a bike I'd ride on single track but could be a very capable commuter in Flatlandia.

I bought the Walmart step-through model last month. It works fine. Top speed is around 17 MPH. You can get it up to 20 MPH if you pedal really fast because of the way it's geared.

Hello,
I have an Hyper eBike and bought it from Walmart four months ago. I've been riding it for at least 4-5 times a week, ranging 20 miles per day around our neighborhood (uphill/downhill/flat surfaces). I can provide feedback when it comes to the pros and cons:

PROs:
1. Low cost compare to any full size MTB. It is now on sale at Walmart website for $398.00 with free shipping. ($200 less from original price). What a deal!
2. Max range (based from my experience using lowest pedal assist) is between 25-30 miles, less miles if your neighborhood has a lot of uphill roads.
3. Since it has a small motor, you still can get your cardio exercise (which is good for me). I'm in my 50s with bad knees.
4. Battery is removable; hence, charging is a breeze.
5. Frame is solid.
6. Front suspension is good on pavement and grassy areas (not sure if it will last if continued use on rocky terrain).

CONS
1. Seat is uncomfortable. I bought a spring loaded seat post and it helped a little bit.
2. Bike handle is not long enough for accessories i.e. horn, lights, cell phones and action camera.
3. Not disc brakes. More cost if buying with a disc brakes.
4. A little awkward to ride for tall people. I'm 5'8'' and slightly uncomfortable (or maybe just me).
Agree with all the points mentioned in the above post, and after having this bike for a year I can confidently say that this bike is a tremendous value for the money(especially for the $399 I paid back then). And while yes, the bike has cheap components, with good care and maintanance, the bike will give good service.

Back