Why don't I see more women ebikers? Ladies? Thoughts?

It should be the other way 'round! Real men don't need no stinkin' assist:mad:

:oops:oh, no, wait... I forgot why I'm here.... never mind:rolleyes:

I had never given it that much thought but you raise a good question. I ride a recumbent trike and I do run into other trike riders but rarely ever women. I’ve ridden motorcycles most of my life and again, rarely see other women riders.

I'm reasonably sure that in either the us or canada women aren't ALLOWED to compete directly with men in mtb at an elite level . There was a woman I knew from motorbike riding who was an amazing mtb rider, she competed in mens events in Australia but when she moved to the us / canada she had to ride womens events - with a drop in income / sponsorship etc.

Ps, this is my daughter (13 yo)

My granddaughter after mtb crash.View attachment 30467

Great stuff here. They would thoroughly enjoy the outdoors compared to many women who succumb to societal conformity.

One of the woman riders that I greatly admire is Lael Wilcox. She seems to be an outlier.

So, when I commute, I see ebikers. They. are. all. men. I think I've seen TWO women ebikers on my commute ... since last September, one on a Faraday step-through and one on an iZip step-through.

Most ebike makers seem to ignore women. Some have just one (large) frame size (um, women tend to be shorter than men, so no go. Not good for shorter men, either!) Many makers are oriented to road and mountain bike styles that may appeal to women who already are road/mountain bikers but may not likely to appeal more broadly. Many brands don't offer step-through models or bikes that come in nice colors. Many bikes lack built-in features that make it easy to carry stuff. And, um, some of us want a bike that, um looks pretty AND has great functionality.

I don't think all women are like me, but I do think that a lot are, and would like the kinds of features I'm mentioning.

Ladies? Thoughts? (Men, not trying to exclude you--you can chime in, too!)
It looks to me as if you want a juiced bike and you are 5’5” or under you are pretty much out of luck. Thanks to the advice of people on this forum, I bought a Raleigh Lore, and had it modified. I love it and it’s expanded by world.

Attachments

• BAF7AE47-CBE1-4752-BC7C-5CC873AF4035.jpeg
    BAF7AE47-CBE1-4752-BC7C-5CC873AF4035.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 370
@Cowlitz , I think this could be something for Parks & Recreation. If you are interested and have the expertise or know someone who does, Parks & Rec are often very open to offering new class types, if you have a Parks & Rec department where you live.

It looks to me as if you want a juiced bike and you are 5’5” or under you are pretty much out of luck. Thanks to the advice of people on this forum, I bought a Raleigh Lore, and had it modified. I love it and it’s expanded by world.

That's a nice ebike! I'm glad Raleigh makes ebikes. I grew up riding the British made Raleighs. It was the only brand of bike my (Scottish) parents would buy for us. I'm still fond of them, even though they're no longer made in England.

You're right about ebikes expanding your world. I'm getting older as well and my joints get worse all the time. Thanks to ebikes I can still ride. I've lived in the same place for 14 years, but until I got my ebike and started exploring I didn't realize there was a nice little trail beside a creek within walking distance of my home. I would never have found it while hobbling on a walker.

Are there any women ebike entrepreneur other than Virginia from Amego?

Just like motorcycles, these machines are typically male dominant business.. why? I don't know.

I sure hope more women enter into the business though.
There are women owned ebike stores, and women owned regular bike stores.

Are there any women ebike entrepreneur other than Virginia from Amego?

Isla Rowntree owns Isla Bikes in the UK, she recently launched a line of lightweight step through pedal bicycles for seniors that would make nice donor bikes for a DIY ebike conversion. Arleigh Greenwald aka BikeShopGirl has a family friendly shop in Aurora, CO, carrying mostly ebikes and she runs a podcast interviewing industry figures, you can find the podcast on the BicycleRetailer website. My local County bicycle advisory committee is run by a super smart lawyer who as a Mom has a stable of electric cargo bikes so brings a valuable perspective on the County’s inequitous ebike prohibition from our bike trails. I agree more women are needed for advocating for getting more people on bikes and ebikes.

Last edited:
Great stuff here. They would thoroughly enjoy the outdoors compared to many women who succumb to societal conformity.

One of the woman riders that I greatly admire is Lael Wilcox. She seems to be an outlier.

Lael is the sister of a friend of mine. She is an awesome role model for female cyclists.

Interesting thread. I mostly see men commuting on bikes where I live but I see mostly females on the rail trails during the day and usually in groups.

As far as women competing I competed in MB in the early days and I never saw a woman compete but it was tough, trails were crude and harsh and rarely did I finish an event without needing stitches or a cast, they never had the trails they do now, there was no grooming. I haven't watched a competition in at least 30 years but I wouldn't have wanted any female I knew competing back in the day but at 80 I'm old school.

I'll add this, when I competed in the beginning I was competing in the seniors class then, that was the early eighties and seniors class started at 35.

Last edited:
That's a nice ebike! I'm glad Raleigh makes ebikes. I grew up riding the British made Raleighs. It was the only brand of bike my (Scottish) parents would buy for us. I'm still fond of them, even though they're no longer made in England.

You're right about ebikes expanding your world. I'm getting older as well and my joints get worse all the time. Thanks to ebikes I can still ride. I've lived in the same place for 14 years, but until I got my ebike and started exploring I didn't realize there was a nice little trail beside a creek within walking distance of my home. I would never have found it while hobbling on a walker.
It’s true. Thanks to my back, I can’t walk very far, but I can ride. Who knew? All the doctors say to take up swimming, and that’s great, but swimming laps is boring. Bike riding is much more fun.

I think they are known as respectable motorcycle manufacturer. If they make other equipments, I am not fully aware of them.

They have some pretty cool bikes for the big EU market: https://www.husqvarna-bicycles.com/en-INT/segments/gran-tourer

WERE known for their motorbikes, untill ktm bought the interesting part of the company and rebadged it as hussaberg ( and bmw bought the rest, then later sold that back to ktm)

Meanwhile, back at husky hq - they do make pretty good sewing machines

So, back on topic - we had a visit yesterday from a liv sponsored mtb rider . It raised an interesting thought bubble for me - how do women feel about a huge manufacturer like giant running a seperate branch like liv for women?

WERE known for their motorbikes, untill ktm bought the interesting part of the company and rebadged it as hussaberg ( and bmw bought the rest, then later sold that back to ktm)

Meanwhile, back at husky hq - they do make pretty good sewing machines

So, back on topic - we had a visit yesterday from a liv sponsored mtb rider . It raised an interesting thought bubble for me - how do women feel about a huge manufacturer like giant running a seperate branch like liv for women?

I think Husky make the best chainsaws.

Reactions: JRA
I think Husky make the best chainsaws.

While I agree, the Husqvarna brand is owned by Electrolux that also makes Jonsered and Poulan saws. But in the end chainsaws are only as good as the service they can get close by....like eBikes. Trick is to find a woman that has a chainsaw and an eBike!

While I agree, the Husqvarna brand is owned by Electrolux that also makes Jonsered and Poulan saws. But in the end chainsaws are only as good as the service they can get close by....like eBikes. Trick is to find a woman that has a chainsaw and an eBike!

I didn't know that! Is Electrolux an American company. The first vacuum I can remember my parents owning was an Electrolux.

Back