Which Lock for e-bike (Explore E+ 1 GTS)?

Mtl_Biker

Cable locks are really easy to cut... takes seconds and I fear one would not be a good idea for an expensive e-bike. I was using a u-shape lock (can't remember the brand) but I'm sure it wouldn't be large enough. I'd want to secure the front wheel (which has a quick release) and the frame.

What are you folks using to secure your bikes if you have to leave them unattended?

(With my new e-bike I plan to commute the full distance to/from work and home instead of the half distance I've been doing with my acoustic bike. So I'll probably need to stop sometimes to pick up minimal groceries and I'll have to leave the bike outside.)

I use a heavy chain and lock. 6lbs, Some weigh up to 11 lbs. A chain cannot be cut with bolt cutters. So I use a chain with a cable that I run through the front wheel and seat. I have thought about getting locking nuts for the quick release on the wheels too to make it more difficult. I switched out the quick release on my seat to a bolt since I got a suspension seat post so that isn't easily taking off. I know some are going to complain about carrying a heavy chain but I don't notice the extra weight since the motor takes care of that.

I use a heavy chain and lock. 6lbs, Some weigh up to 11 lbs. A chain cannot be cut with bolt cutters. So I use a chain with a cable that I run through the front wheel and seat. I have thought about getting locking nuts for the quick release on the wheels too to make it more difficult. I switched out the quick release on my seat to a bolt since I got a suspension seat post so that isn't easily taking off. I know some are going to complain about carrying a heavy chain but I don't notice the extra weight since the motor takes care of that.

Thank you. Is there anything special to look for in a chain? "Case-hardened"? Something else? Then maybe pull it through an old inner tube so that it doesn't scratch the bike (or rattle in the panniers). Is there a commercial chain bike lock you might recommend?

This is what I got but you can spend more for a better one. I searched amazon when I looked. The thicker the chain, the harder it's going to be to cut through it. I don't leave my bike anywhere for more than 30 minutes so I didn't go to crazy with a bigger chain but I would if I had to leave in a bad area.
https://www.amazon.com/AKM-Security-Bicycle-4-Feet-Motorbike/dp/B0778618VF/ref=sr_1_29?crid=28OL1N1LISHY4&keywords=bike+locks+heavy+duty&qid=1564769764&s=gateway&sprefix=bike+lock,aps,190&sr=8-29

Thanks very much.

You feel a 4 foot length works well? That should, I guess, allow me to lock the front wheel and frame both to something else. Shorter would be lighter, but... probably not versatile enough.

Yes I wanted enough length so I could lock up to anything. The cable is just another thing the thief would have to cut off so it makes the bike take longer to steal.

I have been using an Otto lock for the past few years. Not designed for long term overnight, however the absolutely strongest, lightest, lock I've ever used: https://ottodesignworks.com/. Pass it along and pay it forward.

Attachments

• IMG_6336.JPG
    IMG_6336.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 642
I have been using an Otto lock for the past few years. Not designed for long term overnight, however the absolutely strongest, lightest, lock I've ever used: https://ottodesignworks.com/. Pass it along and pay it forward.

Thank you for the suggestion. But that doesn't look any more secure than a good cable lock, and I've seen my bike shop cut open a cable lock in a split second. Crazy how fast it was. I don't think this one would be an option I would consider. I have an ABUS high security chain and lock (forgot I'd bought one about 3 years ago for a motorcycle) and while it's heavy, with an e-bike I probably won't feel the weight. And it's super secure. I don't plan to carry it with me all the time because usually I'll just commute to/from my office and home without any stops. Indoor storage in a protected area in both places. I might carry a u-lock on a regular basis for unplanned very short stops (pick up some milk or something) just in case, and if I plan to do some more serious shopping/stopping one day, I'll stick the chain in my pannier. I'm not going to take chances with a $4,000 bike.

Montreal is a big city and while bike thefts are probably not as bad as NYC, etc. we're hearing about them all the time.

I have two FoldyLocks (thats actually the brand name...) similar to the Abus Bordo. They are relativly short but I can get one around the back tire and a rack and I use the other one to lock the front tire to the frame. Nice thing is that they can lock together to form a longer device if you need to go around something larger.

I also have an AXA Victory lock mounted on my rear tire which I use if I'm leaving my bike somewhere in my sight. It keeps the back tire from rolling so no one can just grab it and ride off. Bonus is that the key is always there and it is always on the bike & ready to use so I never find myself without a lock.
1565193053449.png

I use a heavy chain and lock. 6lbs, Some weigh up to 11 lbs. A chain cannot be cut with bolt cutters.
Actually it takes a very serious, thick, hardened alloy chain, to withstand bolt cutters, a grinder or hacksaw. Everything sold at my local home store & hardware is easily cut with bolt cutters.
There are also $6 cables and $80 cables. Yeah, the $6 master cable is trash. This 1/2" stainless steel sling should require resharpening of the bolt cutter every time it is used. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T15 $64 + freight in the 6' length. A master lock would be easier to cut.
I'm getting away with a 12 mm cable and a grade 10 master lock, but there is not a huge market for used girl's bikes around here. 20 months and no problems yet. I did lose a rear light in a church lot, and somebody tried to unscrew the battery but couldn't figure out my custom mount. Baffle them with bu******.

Last edited:
Actually it takes a very serious, thick, hardened alloy chain, to withstand bolt cutters, a grinder or hacksaw. Everything sold at my local home store & hardware is easily cut with bolt cutters.
There are also $6 cables and $80 cables. Yeah, the $6 master cable is trash. This 1/2" stainless steel sling should require resharpening of the bolt cutter every time it is used. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T15 $64 + freight in the 6' length. A master lock would be easier to cut.
I'm getting away with a 12 mm cable and a grade 10 master lock, but there is not a huge market for used girl's bikes around here. 20 months and no problems yet. I did lose a rear light in a church lot, and somebody tried to unscrew the battery but couldn't figure out my custom mount. Baffle them with bu******.

You really think that is stronger than a good Master lock? Stainless steel or not, I'll bet a good bolt cutter could cut it off in a second or two. But we're not going to try that are we? :) For leaving the bike for a very short time while you're somewhere you can see the bike, it might be "good enough", but (I'm probably paranoid) I wouldn't leave my bike out of sight with only that locking it. But then again, I'm in a big city where bike thefts are far too common. Boils down to how much risk you're willing to take, depending on environmental circumstances, budget, value of the bike, how long you might leave it unattended, and of course budget.

I think I've found what I'll be happy with. I have (bought a couple of years ago for my motorcycle but I don't leave that outside anywhere unattended either, unless I'm next to it in a tent) an ABUS chain and lock which is rated "high security". I'll use that for any longer stops. And if my u-lock fits around my new bike (hasn't arrived yet) front wheel and battery downtube, I'll use that for stops of only a couple of minutes. I wouldn't even carry the heavy chain and lock unless I plan to stop for anything longer than just picking up a carton of milk.

I have two FoldyLocks (thats actually the brand name...) similar to the Abus Bordo. They are relativly short but I can get one around the back tire and a rack and I use the other one to lock the front tire to the frame. Nice thing is that they can lock together to form a longer device if you need to go around something larger.

I also have an AXA Victory lock mounted on my rear tire which I use if I'm leaving my bike somewhere in my sight. It keeps the back tire from rolling so no one can just grab it and ride off. Bonus is that the key is always there and it is always on the bike & ready to use so I never find myself without a lock.
View attachment 36324

Interesting looking lock. Is it permanently mounted to the bike? But all it really does is prevent the bike from being rolled away, right? It doesn't allow attaching the bike to some object (at least not without an extra chain) and doesn't do anything to prevent the front wheel from being stolen?

I use a Hexloxs through axle front and rear (they also make front and rear spindles) as well as Hexloxs for the seat post, stem handlebars and saddle clamp. So all I need to do is secure the frame and the rest of the bike is safe. For a lock I use the Abus alarm lock. Expensive but compact, easy to carry, can be cut only with an electric grinder or torch and it makes a 100 plus decibel siren if moved.
https://hexlox.com/

@Mtl_Biker yes it stays installed onto the bike, not permanent.
1565205553480.png

This photo shows the flexmount that AXA uses. It bolts onto the lock (behind a cover) and the then mounting straps hold it tight to the seat stays. AXA does have a chain attachment that locks into it as well.
1565205964345.png

If it is locked. someone could cut the flex parts it but then it would still be locked through the tire, just not to the frame. If someone wanted to walk off with it they would need to lift/carry the back end of the bike. It doesn't prevent someone from tossing my 60lb bike in a truck or trying to carry it off but it is a deterrent from someone trying to ride off with it. I use it mostly when I'm in visual range and keeping an eye on it - such as playing at the park, grabbing coffee or in my work parking lot (gated) when I need to run back in for something.

@Alaskan - I just bought a set of Hexloxs. I am looking forward to getting them installed.

The security of bike locks in general are so disappointing.

The LockPickingLawyer YouTube channel is sobering.

As for the Otto lock recommendation ($85 for the 60" version), it was cut in 1 second
with tin snips. or even the higher end Otto hexband:

And in case you think an Abus X-Plus 6500 is good, check this out:
. A "very pick resistant" core, a hardened ring around each joint, but a nut splitter and wrench did the trick. Also, this video did it with 750mm bolt cutters:

And, in case you're wondering, the LockPickingLawyer chose a chain lock for his own bike. 10mm hexlink maganese steel. He thinks 10mm is the largest one can go and still have portability. BTW, he did pick it using special tools that he makes himself. He calls it "Probably good enough."

I personally think the Abus is the way to go for me. Not bulky at all, not too heavy, not too expensive and "probably good enough" for the areas in which I ride.

Last edited:
I personally think the Abus is the way to go for me. Not bulky at all, not too heavy, not too expensive and "probably good enough" for the areas in which I ride.[/QUOTE]

Abus Bordo X-Plus?

Abus Bordo X-Plus?

Yeah, the 6500. I just can't see carrying the 10mm link chain that the LockPickingLawyer says he uses around with me. Of course, I'm not commuting and not leaving my bike unattended for long periods of time. If I were commuting, I'd have a big heavy lock that I'd leave at work to lock it up.

I'm also considering a black, inconspicuous brake disc lock as a secondary measure.

Yes after watching Lockpicking Lawyer and Bosnian Bill I certainly would not use Master locks since they are all rubbish.

Back