Which Laptop for Bicycle Touring ... ?

GadgetJim

Which laptop would you recommend for bicycle touring ? Earlier this year I got the Dell Inspiron 5770 17", which is a very nice laptop, BUT definitely NOT any good for traveling !!! I'm lucky to get 60-90 minutes max, when I'm working on typing, editing images and videos, which is what I would be doing while touring. So, this really nice, high-end laptop is useless for touring !!!
I need a laptop with maximum battery life, and at least one USB port, and a reasonably nice keyboard. I'm thinking of maybe 10-12-inch screen size. Don't really need all the bells and whistles that my Dell laptop has (almost everything !!!). Would be nice to have an SSD drive though …..
I will be going online to upload images and videos while traveling, and may need to tether to my T-Mobile service through my cell phone ….. I can do some editing with my Note 8 to save on laptop battery.
Price is really not a big deal. I'm thinking of spending around $500-900.00 (US) … ?

For traveling to keep up with emails, web browsing, edit an occasional doc, etc. consider a Chromebook. Very long battery life and lightweight and plenty of apps to download to get work done. We use them for remote access to troubleshoot Windows PCs.

Agree with pcdoc. A Chrome book or a iPad will do the things you listed. Many excellent photo editing apps on the iPad, and I’m sure on the Chromebook as well.

Refurbished MacBook Airs are around $500.

Also, depending on what you are doing I often find I can get away with a smartphone for a bicycle tour. The only things that are really a pain for me with the smartphone are certain hotel bookings that can't run through Expedia and fiddling with planned bike routes in Google Maps.

Back