Which frame and ebike kit?

Gkyle840

I would like to build my second Ebike. I want to build something that I can ride unpowered when going on family bike rides but also something that will do 40+mph that I can ride on our local roadways to keep up with traffic if need be. I have my eye on a 1500 watt rear hub but am struggling to find a bike to convert. I was thinking something along the lines of a diamondback response or GT aggressor pro? I am 6'0 tall and I prefer to sit more upright so would likely need to raise the handlebars and get a wider set for any bike I choose. Are there any frames that work well that are under $400?

I do want to ride without power. I don't know much about mid drive. Is it only better due to drag? If so how much more drag does a rear hub cause

Not all "rear hubs" are created equally. Direct drive hubs DO have sometimes noticeable amount of drag when coasting/unpowered. Gear driven rear hubs are not only peppier than a direct drive, they also feature a clutch that decouples the motor when coasting or unpowered.

I would note that a bike of ANY type, is not going to go far at 40mph. Speaking in bike terms, there's a huge amount of air resistance at speeds like that (noticeable even as low as 15mph). To reach that speed (40mph), and hold it for any length of time, in most instances is not currently possible. The weight of the batteries required to do that would be prohibitive (as well as heat buildup in the motor) - ESPECIALLY when considering a bike to be ridden unpowered on family outings.

Reality check time......

As far as frame, any donor bike I would consider would have disk brakes.

Back