Which electric bike to purchase in 2023? Please suggest.

Grover2023

Region
Canada
City
Brampton
Hi everybody,

Hope you all doing well.

I am looking to purchase an electric bike for this year, my purpose is to ride an e-bike every day during the summer months. I am willing to spend my money between CAD $2000 - CAD $3000 max. However, my needs for the e-bike are as follows:
  1. City or commuter
  2. Must have a rear motor with cadence sensors (or either both cadence and torque sensors)
  3. A rear hub motor with 750 Watts or more
  4. LCD display showing all details
  5. Should have front and rear lights (with rear lights --> turn signals if possible)
  6. Safety electronic bells, if possible
  7. Lightweight electric bike
  8. Must have 5-9 pedal assist levels
Please let me know your responses and do recommend good brands of these e-bikes. Thank you in advance and looking forward to your replies!

Hi everybody,

Hope you all doing well.

I am looking to purchase an electric bike for this year, my purpose is to ride an e-bike every day during the summer months. I am willing to spend my money between CAD $2000 - CAD $3000 max. However, my needs for the e-bike are as follows:
  1. City or commuter
  2. Must have a rear motor with cadence sensors (or either both cadence and torque sensors)
  5. Should have front and rear lights (with rear lights --> turn signals if possible)
Please let me know your responses and do recommend good brands of these e-bikes. Thank you in advance and looking forward to your replies!

Hi Taylor,

Thank you for the link provided, however, I am not looking into fat tire e-bikes or mountain e-bikes neither I have an interest in mid-drive motors, maybe you could use your time to show me the rear hub motor (motor middle of behind the tires).

Thanks!

Hi Taylor,

Thank you for the link provided, however, I am not looking into fat tire e-bikes or mountain e-bikes neither I have an interest in mid-drive motors, maybe you could use your time to show me the rear hub motor (motor middle of behind the tires).

Thanks!
Roger. I only selected the one I did as it is from a Canadian company and looked like a pretty decent deal...

Just curious, don't you already own a bike that fits the specs you listed above? Will this be a second bike? What is it about the 700 are you trying to improve?
"I am carrying an electric bike and the model is 700 Series by Ride1UP"
Hello Tom,

Hope you're doing well. Sure you might have noticed in the previous post I put about my ride1up 700 series making an unusual sound like heavy metal-to-metal contact noise when I ride and press the brakes, so I am looking for a mechanic to fix this issue, however, at the same time I am also thinking to sell this e-bike (not sure who I can sell this e-bike to near Greater Toronto Area) and buy a new one instead. Please let me know what you can suggest to me as I will be happy to know from you. Thanks!

Hello Tom,

Hope you're doing well. Sure you might have noticed in the previous post I put about my ride1up 700 series making an unusual sound like heavy metal-to-metal contact noise when I ride and press the brakes, so I am looking for a mechanic to fix this issue, however, at the same time I am also thinking to sell this e-bike (not sure who I can sell this e-bike to near Greater Toronto Area) and buy a new one instead. Please let me know what you can suggest to me as I will be happy to know from you. Thanks!
My thought would be it's going to be a lot less money to fix your braking issue than it is to come up with a bike you're going to like any better than the one you have - that's paid for? A mechanic able to work on your brakes should be pretty easy to locate in your area. They're nothing special, and in use on bikes that are not electrics. Standard mountain bikes would often use the same components....

Last edited:
No doubt, choosing the Ride1Up ROADSTER V2 is a no-brainer for riders who want a top-quality electric gravel bike.
If you are a heavy rider and you fancy the best electric gravel bike, these are smart option to consider. Additionally, it’s a great option for those who want the best flat bar gravel bike.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

Hope you all doing well.

1. City or commuter
Hey i hope you good :),

I can only tell you that I am absolutely thrilled with my Icon S9 from Citypanta. From your post, it sounds like it could be a good fit for you. It falls into the integrated battery category, but it is far less known than Vanmoof etc.. The bikes are made by a professional manufacturer made in Germany, that even granted me a few special requests, like a brake light or a higher handlebar for my wife. I can tell you that the components are truly top-notch. The concept of the 9-speed Shimano gear system paired with the torque sensor ensures that you are nimble even in hilly cities. I have not experienced such acceleration and sportiness with either Vanmoof or Schindelhauer.

They also produce a single-speed with carbon belt drive, which is even lighter. I would recommend you to look it up if you live in a flat site like Amsterdam

The weight of my 9 gear one is under 17kg, which is appropriate for being fully equipped and also compliant with traffic laws. Even if the battery is empty, you feel like you're riding a normal bike because the rear motor can be disengaged.

But what impressed me the most is the design. I am constantly approached on the street for it. The modern and futuristic look makes it a real eye-catcher. My wife was also impressed with my bike and ultimately decided to buy the identical women's version in the summer.

A small downside is that the battery is not removable, but this benefits the design.

I hope I was able to help you a bit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Otherwise, you can check out the website CITYPANTA.com

Best regards,

Thomas Braun

I've been looking at the Espin Flow vs Aventon Level2 Step thru. They both look solid. The Flow is 1500 US and the Level 2 is 1800 US. They both have nice appearances. Flow weights 55lbs and Level2 53 lbs. What a tough decision.

I've been looking at the Espin Flow vs Aventon Level2 Step thru. They both look solid. The Flow is 1500 US and the Level 2 is 1800 US. They both have nice appearances. Flow weights 55lbs and Level2 53 lbs. What a tough decision.
Hey Taylor, so which one of these do you think it's better? Could you please let me know? Thanks!

Sure you might have noticed in the previous post I put about my ride1up 700 series making an unusual sound like heavy metal-to-metal contact noise when I ride and press the brakes, so I am looking for a mechanic to fix this issue,
At a first glance, chances are you might need new brake pads.

Hey Taylor, so which one of these do you think it's better? Could you please let me know? Thanks!
300 US would buy a few nice accessories...

300 US would buy a few nice accessories...
With what Taylor?

I'm probably a little biased since I own 2 Espin Sports, but I feel the Flow for 1500 is the value bet here. I do however, think the Level 2 is a little more sexy...
Okay got your point....I'll look into those and let you know what happens. However, just keep me posted if anything else comes along with regard to e-bikes of course. Thanks for your help though!

IF you are comfortable with doing minor maintenance and adjustments on your bike, then there are many good possibilities.

Otherwise, I’d highly recommend you try, buy and get service from a local bike shop.

You’d be setting yourself up for potential frustration and hassle, if you don’t have some expertise, and choose to mail order anyway.

Back