Which brand/model will do the job?

orbatron

Hi folks,

I'm new here, just recently exploring electric bikes and scooters as a commuter tool, and I need some help. Here is the problem I'm trying to solve.

My son's school commute is 2.3 miles long each way, which isn't a problem for most electric bikes or scooters. However, there is a 1-mile portion of the commute that has an elevation of 300 feet. I haven't measured the grade, but some parts are a bit steeper than others. I'm also trying to keep the cost down - he doesn't need a fancy bike/scooter with bells and whistles. I need a device that will get him to and from, and cost as little as possible.

That said, what does this community recommend? What are my options? I'm willing to explore bikes and/or scooters.

Thank you in advance!

Juiced & magnum both have geared hubmotors, that are fairly capable of hills. This is in North America.
I lost a nice 2 speed bike age 16, somebody picked or forced the $3 combo padlock. So decent security is part of the package. Don't forget to match the frame size to his body type: 17 in stem to seat post is for short people, 21 for the lanky. Look at court's reviews on the main site and pick some model with a book rack or a way to hang panniers(book bags). 10 AH should be adequate if charged daily. A bike with fenders leaves fewer mud spots on the clothes. Lights can be add ons, with their own separate batteries, but are a necessary part of the package to maintain safety in the day of distracted drivers. I wear a yellow construction vest with reflective stripes. So many bikers wear black clothes on a black bike, ultra cool I suppose but stupid.
Saying that, I walked home from school with 10 lb books & a 10 lb musical instrument 2 miles 3 or 4 days a week: starting age 12 when band practice started. Game nights I walked to & back without the books. It was good for me, and made the transition to Army ROTC physical standards much less painful when I turned 18. The bike was for trips over 2 miles. My parents didn't believe in Mom's taxi, they had walked in their day. At age 68 I still pedal most of the time, and the cardiologist says "your heart has nothing wrong with it". Good cardio maintenance leads to that.

Last edited:
Juiced & magnum both have geared hubmotors, that are fairly capable of hills. This is in North America.
I lost a nice 2 speed bike age 16, somebody picked or forced the $3 combo padlock. So decent security is part of the package. Don't forget to match the frame size to his body type: 17 in stem to seat post is for short people, 21 for the lanky. Look at court's reviews on the main site and pick some model with a book rack or a way to hang panniers(book bags). 10 AH should be adequate if charged daily. A bike with fenders leaves fewer mud spots on the clothes. Lights can be add ons, with their own separate batteries, but are a necessary part of the package to maintain safety in the day of distracted drivers. I wear a yellow construction vest with reflective stripes. So many bikers wear black clothes on a black bike, ultra cool I suppose but stupid.
Saying that, I walked home from school with 10 lb books & a 10 lb musical instrument 2 miles 3 or 4 days a week: starting age 12 when band practice started. Game nights I walked to & back without the books. It was good for me, and made the transition to Army ROTC physical standards much less painful when I turned 18. The bike was for trips over 2 miles. My parents didn't believe in Mom's taxi, they had walked in their day. At age 68 I still pedal most of the time, and the cardiologist says "your heart has nothing wrong with it". Good cardio maintenance leads to that.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I should have also mentioned a couple of other things.

1. I care less about technical definition since I don't understand them (i.e. geared hub motors, watts and volts.)
2. I am aiming to spend less than $1000.

I guess the real question is - is there a bike that will do when I need done under $1000? I just need a yes/no, and if yes, what brand and model.

Just about any Ebike will easily do the job. In my experience the really cheap Walmart level stuff is not likely to be reliable or safe. Electronics can fail and brakes can be inadequate. Look for a bike with a wheel hub motor (work well but cheaper than mid-drive) and at least disc brakes. Pedal assist will be useful on the hill. At the distance you describe an ordinary push bike might be the best choice. After a couple of weeks the hill will be easy. When I was 12-16 I regularly rode my old fashioned English racer a minimum of 20 miles a day to hang out with my friends in my old neighborhood every day in the summer. The terrain was mildly hilly. I love e-bikes but sometimes for really short hops a push bike is just simpler.

More important what does your son like. What will be fun for him. I live a mile from a train station. When I took the train to work I bought a used cruiser off craigslist for $100. It rode like a truck but I could easily lock and leave it at the train station where bikes are frequently stolen. I could have easily used it for a 2.3 mile commute which is easy peasy on any bike.

Don’t overthink it.

No. Used e-bikes are a pile of problems sold on to the next person. Lots of posts on here about problems with W**-**** garbage e-bikes.
You can get a decent used pedal bike for $50 at a charity resale shop. usually need new tires, control cables. Don't buy less than 21 speeds with that hill in the way. The lock and security cable should be about $50, the panniers about $100 apiece. Or a wald basket is about $80.
Rim brakes are IMHO not safe in the rain. Especially with a steep hill to go down. I ran into a car that ran a stop sign after I'd stopped already with rim brakes, in the rain. Just a pedal bike with mechanical disk brakes that do work in the rain nears $1000. Disk brakes are new and pricey, not many used ones out there.

Last edited:
You might have a legal issue with e-scooters as to whether they need to be registered as well as the minimum age or license needed to operate them. With ebikes, there might be a minimum age. Check your state laws before you buy something.

Rim brakes do get squirrelly in the rain but I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on rim brakes and a chunk of those in the rain. The technique to using rim brakes in the rain is not to slow down lightly pump the brakes. 300 feet of climbing over a mile is not a big deal and doesn't need any special gearing. (Disc brakes are essential for an electric bike.) I rode in a pack on the Davis Double century with one guy riding a heavy cruiser bike with a single gear, balloon tires and a coaster brake. I don't like big heavy expensive locks. All any lock does is keep honest people honest. One of my bikes was stolen when it was locked with a big Kryptonite lock. Well, the frame wasn't stolen, but twisted out of shape still on the lock and all the parts gone. Best way to deal with bike thieves is ride cheap bikes in situations where the bike is going to be left sitting and vulnerable.

It's easy to find perfectly usable mountain bikes for around $100 on Craigslist. Bring a friend who can test the bike and tell you if the cables, brakes, etc are any good.

Back